Klipsch Jubilee

henry4841

14 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Roy was right. There simply was not enough air in the back chamber to create low frequencies below 60 Hz. Corner loading helped that but was no better with a passive radiator than without, so not worth it IMHO.

My UJ seem to make it down into the 30s no problem.  What do you mean 60?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I'm sure Roy would disagree with this line from that blog post: "must be installed in very large rooms in order to express itself correctly". 

you have to read the context of the Review as being strictly European , where space is much more  limited in housing   where very large rooms  in France or the UK  are considerably smaller versus the USA and  the reviewer is essentially addressing  the European Audience    .

On 7/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, PrestonTom said:

I am sympathetic to the buyer. He has been waiting for about a year to get these.  Has the retailer been making excuses and sitting on his money the entire time?  It is a fair question and someone mumbling something about "supply chain" is not much of an answer.

I think he deserved better service, especially at these prices.

This was my sale, but regardless, I'm curious as to how any of the delays could possibly be any dealer's fault.  There has been one delay after another.  One time the wood vendor shipped veneer that wasn't matched so they had to start all over.  There were delays after they realized that the Jubilees had to use the paint booth for La Scala and Klipschorn and there wasn't unlimited capacity so they had to figure some things out.  etc., etc., .etc. 

We have been in communication with literally every detail we heard about, this entire time, he got both official and unofficial details and explanations.  Michael got one of the first pair of the normal walnut ones once they started shipping.  His money has been sitting in escrow which is stressful for me but given the situation that's what needed to happen.  So please, school me on what I should have done better with these issues, I'd honestly like to know.  

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, MMurg said:

I'm sure Roy would disagree with this line from that blog post: "must be installed in very large rooms in order to express itself correctly". 

He and others always say "the smaller the room, the bigger the horn".  Short story is that they'll work fine in a small room. 

However, and this may solicit a half angry response from the Klipsch gods, but my only thing that I'd even remotely caution about is that these are true full range speakers, and as such, they can extend down lower than where a small room's cabin gain will start.  In other words, lower bass may be stronger in a small room, which most people would love, but it may make some recordings sound a little bloated. I've heard these things in the lab, in a very large reflective room at Axpona, in a very large treated room in Indianapolis, and outside.  The low bass is noticeably different in the lab.  This is one of the reasons I wish the DSP was not locked so we didn't have to buy a second one and do two ADA conversions if we wanted to smooth the bass out.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

I'm curious as to how any of the delays could possibly be any dealer's fault.  There has been one delay after another.

We know it is not the dealer's fault. The buyer has acknowledged that it is not the dealer's fault.

This is just one of those threads where comments bounce all over the place when people type whatever crosses their minds at that moment, regardless of the big picture.

Paducah Home Theater is the best!

• Like 2

On 7/3/2022 at 3:01 PM, Khornukopia said:

Imaging buying a grand piano for $30,000+ and it being delivered to and left out on your driveway.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:37 PM, PrestonTom said:

Isn't that all part of the delivery fee?

Yes, if the piano was left in the driveway, I would be on the phone immediately (of course, anyone would).

Unless I am mistaken, these are being sold by a retailer and not directly by the manufacturer (although they might be drop-shipped) from the factory, I assume). Am I wrong on this assumption?

Unfortunately, it's an insanely huge liability and almost impossible to pull this off.  You would basically have to go into the piano moving business.  Literally.  Issues with them:

1. They are so heavy that four people are required just to pick the things up, and even then it's not super safe.  I don't even know where I could find four employees to be trained then work part time and go on business trips at the very low volume that these will be selling at.  

2. They are not square so you can't use those straps that they use for some gun safes. I had floated the idea to Roy that maybe there could be a removable jig that makes the back be more square so these straps could be used but that isn't going to happen.  

3. That back corner is just really hard to hang on to.  I had also floated the idea to Roy that some kind of handle be installed even if it were removable which I'd still like to see but I don't think that's going to happen.  

4. Getting these up even a small staircase in the garage, to a landing, then turn a 90 degree angle, is going to be insane.  Literally every installation anybody has seen at this point has been in hotel ballrooms or outside or a commercial dealer showroom where you can just roll a pallet jack up to where you want them, but doing things like twisting on this landing while holding them up and not scratching them is going to be really tough.  

5. Almost every sale is going to be in a different state.  There are local laws, local tax, local insurance.  You can't just decide to go install 400+ pound speakers in people's houses on a whim.  

Honestly I don't even know what to do as a professional service.  It's just so far beyond the scope of a typical home theater installation.  The only thing I know to do is to reimburse people for a local piano mover to be hired.  I've literally been thinking about this and debating about all this and talking to Roy and others about this, for the entire past year.  It's not exactly a case of laziness.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

1. They are so heavy that four people are required just to pick the things up, ...

Yes, I had previously commented that @MMurg is wise to hire the professional piano movers. My later comment was to have someone imagine a similar situation, because some people have never handled huge speakers. Nothing negative intended.

2 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

This was my sale, but regardless, I'm curious as to how any of the delays could possibly be any dealer's fault.  There has been one delay after another.  One time the wood vendor shipped veneer that wasn't matched so they had to start all over.  There were delays after they realized that the Jubilees had to use the paint booth for La Scala and Klipschorn and there wasn't unlimited capacity so they had to figure some things out.  etc., etc., .etc. 

We have been in communication with literally every detail we heard about, this entire time, he got both official and unofficial details and explanations.  Michael got one of the first pair of the normal walnut ones once they started shipping.  His money has been sitting in escrow which is stressful for me but given the situation that's what needed to happen.  So please, school me on what I should have done better with these issues, I'd honestly like to know.  

Sorry Cory, for dragging you into this.  The point with my original comment was that Klipsch created these behemoths, and it would have been nice if they had provided guidance or even an optional service for handling these things.  It's not something I'd expect the dealers to have to do.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...  It was my choice to order them so early.  I won't go into all the details of why I did this.  @Paducah Home Theater was nice enough to accommodate my request.  They have been nothing but great on keeping me up to date on everything during the long journey from then to now.  I have no issue with PHT and how they handled this.  They are in no way at fault for how long this took.

2 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

He and others always say "the smaller the room, the bigger the horn".  Short story is that they'll work fine in a small room. 

However, and this may solicit a half angry response from the Klipsch gods, but my only thing that I'd even remotely caution about is that these are true full range speakers, and as such, they can extend down lower than where a small room's cabin gain will start.  In other words, lower bass may be stronger in a small room, which most people would love, but it may make some recordings sound a little bloated. I've heard these things in the lab, in a very large reflective room at Axpona, in a very large treated room in Indianapolis, and outside.  The low bass is noticeably different in the lab.  This is one of the reasons I wish the DSP was not locked so we didn't have to buy a second one and do two ADA conversions if we wanted to smooth the bass out.  

I'm hoping that the floor-to-ceiling corner bass traps that I have in stacked the rear corners will help keep bass bloat down.  🤞

PXL_20220414_001144731_resized.thumb.jpg.bf5796ee6dc6099677f5ea9486be9e01.jpg

On 7/3/2022 at 9:01 AM, Khornukopia said:

Be careful, you just never know who might have a loaded cannon laying around their place. 😁

Many years ago, there was a bank robbery in Montreal.  The robbers waited in a lane behind the bank for the armoured truck to arrive and make a large cash delivery.

Just as the delivery started, the robbers opened the back doors of their van, revealing a heavy machine gun on a tripod.  They got no argument from the security men, who gave them all the money they wanted.  Fortunately, the crooks made a clean getaway and nobody got hurt.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mark1101 said:

My UJ seem to make it down into the 30s no problem.  What do you mean 60?

Not flat to 30's. Especially out of corners. But with corners, PEQ, then yes. It's only a 5.x foot horn after all. Measure one and you will see.

On 7/2/2022 at 9:25 AM, MMurg said:

The "box" in my second picture is just the "top" that gets inverted and placed over the Jubilee on the pallet.  The pallet is the bottom of the "box" and is larger than the cardboard top.

As I said, the new Jubilee is about six inches deeper than the Underground, 30 inches vs 24.5 inches.  Those pictures were taken at the PWK Birthday Bash this past March.  I measured both the upper box and the pallet bottom.  Unless the packaging has changed since this first sample, neither the box part nor the pallet bottom will fit through a 36-inch door.  The bass bins will have to be unboxed to go through my front door.

I can’t speak for Roy, of course, but I suspect that the UJubilee was only 24.5” deep was to keep it compatible with behind-movie-screen use, like the La Scala, for example.  Even though it was originally intended for home use, this constraint may have been in PWK’s mind.

However, when it came to the New Jubilee, there were no such constraints, and Roy was free to design the speakers to produce ultimate sound quality, with whatever size and shape it turned out to be.  That turned out to be too deep for commercial cinema use, but that’s irrelevant for this speaker’s purpose.

The only comment I’d make would be to echo what a few other members have posted.  Why not install handles in several strategic spots?  These speakers will be going into private homes in the majority of cases, with all the accessibility problems that may entail.  Everything that can be done to make the final step of the delivery, from driveway to listening room, as simple and safe as possible, for both the speakers and the people who are doing the job, should be considered.  If handles are considered to be too unsightly, maybe find a model of removable handles, leaving only the low profile handle (and maybe lifting strap) anchors in sight.  For that matter, they could have a decorative finish (Bright Brass, Antiqued Brass, Brushed Stainless Steel, etc.), which could make them actually be a stylish addition.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Islander said:

Many years ago, there was a bank robbery in Montreal. 

The Brink's  Job.... a joint robbery by the Irish Mob of  Boston  and  Montreal   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RandyH said:

The Brink's  Job.... a joint robbery by the Irish Mob of  Boston  and  Montreal   

Thanks.  For some reason, there was a period of very frequent bank robberies in Montreal, but I don’t remember whether a reason was discovered.

• Thanks 1