Why buy a Mc 275 when you can have one of these!

michaelwjones

On 5/6/2022 at 8:17 AM, Islander said:

I went shopping with a Chinese friend in Toronto downtown Chinatown some years ago.  The “honest/original” CDs were in one bin, while the copies were in the bin beside them, at half price.  To my friend, and to the other shoppers there, paying half price was just an example of being a smart shopper.  The concept of piracy seemed to be some Western idea, an idea that seemed so theoretical that it had no relevance to the average Chinese shopper.  They wondered why I’d pay double for the same music, which just came in a fancier case, with better photos.  That didn’t seem like good value to them.

On a trip to visit my then girlfiend in China, we visited a large unerground shopping area in Nanchang. Lot of what you would probaby think of as bootleg DVDs. They cost about $2 US. I picked up about five, one being a Transformers flick, released in the US the week I was in China.

If you are a distibutor and order x thousand DVDs, there will be over runs and rejects. You know they aren't all going in the shredder. Someone decided to make money. The aforementioned Transformers had a short glitch, but was watchable (if you like it... only watched it once). The rest were ok. Did the distributor profit from the 'extras'? Just the guy who slipped them out in a backpack? I would bet the company knew and increased their profit margin.

I always wanted some MC30s.

Those Mac transformers are difficult to wind from what I've read.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, OO1 said:

I guess someone should buy this amp , then  place it next to a real  MC 275 and see if they are identical

Just took delivery of this amp!. Who has a "real" one that we can do a side by side test on?

On 4/10/2022 at 12:36 PM, OO1 said:

I guess someone should buy this amp , then  place it next to a real  MC 275 and see if they are identical

Just took delivery of this amp! Who has a "real" one that we can do a side by side test on?

39 minutes ago, Slonomo said:

Just took delivery of this amp! Who has a "real" one that we can do a side by side test on?

the amp was already  tested  , it's not an MC 275  internally  , it sounds like a Shenzhen tube amp   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, richieb said:
15 hours ago, OO1 said:

the amp was already  tested  , it's not an MC 275  internally  , it sounds like a Shenzhen tube amp   

— and you’ve heard one? What does a Shenzhen tube amp sound like?

That would be like saying something runs like a Detroit car... lots of variables, some good and some bad.

23 hours ago, Slonomo said:

Just took delivery of this amp!. Who has a "real" one that we can do a side by side test on?

Don't keep us in suspense, how does it sound? Worth the money? What do you have to compare it to? Pictures would be cool too thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 9:49 AM, Michael aaa said:

Hi everyone is interested  the orsefon 275 I will put up 1/2 on the amp an make a demo for all to see need investors only small amounts 

the orsefon 275 amp  sold online  is not a   knockoff of the MC275  specs wise  , nor does it use the same amplifier design ,  except for the ole metal chassis  , no need to make a demo , it cant sound the same   

On 3/3/2023 at 4:48 PM, rmlowz said:

Randy has not heard the amp because Google will not let him hear it.

lol  Rich ... google  is restricted in China ,  and guess where most of these amps are sold .... Ebay , absolutely nothing to do with google ,  nice try :rolleyes:.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

The clone is 100% the same circuit as the original.  In fact, bench tests suggest the clone outperforms the original.

I have both an original here and am building a clone using the same parts included in the finished clone except for the power transformer.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/mcintosh-mc275-clone-build.1032698/#post-16483826

• Like 1

No it's not  ,   if these clones were a   100% copy of the MC 275   . US Customs would have seized all these clone  amps   and destroyed every single one  . there must be sufficient technical  differences  between the clone  and the MC 275 in order for the non- similar  product to be allowed  import entry into the USA .

as far as you sayin  that the clone outperforms the original  

PWK-Bullshit-Tie.jpg?format=1000w

There absolutely are some differences!  The appearance is different...the chassis color is gold not silver, and there are several misspellings...including the brand name as I pointed out.

But the circuit is 100% identical...it uses exactly the same parts with the same values and behaves the same way as the original.  But you certainly don't have to believe it.  Just because you don't think it is the same doesn't make it not so...especially since you have taken no effort on your own to disprove it.

And why would Customs seize it?  It is a old tube circuit that was patented in 1949.  Nothing about the intellectual property here is proprietary anymore.

Carry on.

52 minutes ago, tomlang said:

And why would Customs seize it?  It is a old tube circuit that was patented in 1949.  Nothing about the intellectual property here is proprietary anymore.

Carry on.

Correct. Tube circuits are old and even the new ones are derivatives of old ones. It would be almost impossible to get a patent on any new tube amplifier circuit would be my guess. I know Nelson Pass received some patents on a few of his designs years ago, which have since expired, but he admits he does not apply for a patent on anything he designs now even in SS. Not saying impossible but impracticable. Sure one could try.