Cornwall IV burn in time

Chermerkin

I acquired a brand new set of Cornwall IV three weeks ago and have played between 50 and 100 hours I think. Has so far not observed any changes in sound. It sounds fantastic at loud listening level. Big sound with lots of details and very tight bass. While not deep. Best I have ever heard really. Tons better than my previous Chorus II which could cut my ear off at high volume. Way too bright and shrill. The problem now is at low to medium level where it sound closed in and very lean. My Klipsch Sixes has way more bass at those levels. Hope to hear from other Cornwall IV users if this will hopefully change with more hours in them or its a common thing with these.

Edited by Chermerkin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chermerkin said:

The problem now is at low to medium level where it sound closed in and very lean.

Do you have any tone controls or a loudness / contour button? A subwoofer to fill in the low end especially at lower volumes might be helpful. Also positioning of the speakers makes a big difference as well as even slight changes in the listening position can have dramatic effects. 

• Like 2

Powered with a Hegel H95. Not a powerhouse with its modest 2x60 w but with a claimed damping factor of 2000 if that mean anything. It can play louder than I can stand. Hope I could avoid the subwoofer thing with this pretty big boxes. They are placed close to backwall in a 400 ft living room

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chermerkin said:

Powered with a Hegel H95. Not a powerhouse with its modest 2x60 w but with a claimed damping factor of 2000 if that mean anything. It can play louder than I can stand. Hope I could avoid the subwoofer thing with this pretty big boxes. They are placed close to backwall in a 400 ft living room

Cool... Pull them out a bit to see if bass effects to your liking, if all the way against wall. In corner is a recommendation also.

Likely sub not needed.

16 minutes ago, Chermerkin said:

One of them placed in a corner. 10 feet apart. Tried to pull them out some with no difference. Cool profile pic bob. The painter used to live in my town.

Thanks! Yes the members here are likely eating lunch, church

or just waking.

They will have some recc.s for you to try.

Yes was talking about pulling out a foot, 12 inches or more.

Cool...

Just to eliminate the basics I suggest you verify the polarity of both loudspeakers to receiver has been maintained. One simple and quick way to do this is to take the speaker wires loose from the amplifier and touch them to a battery. The woofer cones should move outward when you touch the (+) battery terminal to the (+) side of your speaker wires. This will confirm the external speaker wiring and internal wiring of the loudspeakers are correct.

A more complete/detailed description of your room/setup might help us understand your acoustical room situation.

Pictures of the room/install would greatly assist us in offering help. If pictures aren’t possible then at least some basic drawings with details about the rooms doorway/openings and loudspeaker and listener locations and how acoustically live or dead is the room.

miketn

Polarity is good. Do not misunderstand me. The sound is stunning.. at high levels. It opens up and fill the room like never heard before. But most of my listening is at background level. U know, kids/family. Its like the soundstage shrinks and bass disappears while volume goes down. Hoped its because the speakers is still new and need more brake in. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chermerkin said:

Polarity is good. Do not misunderstand me. The sound is stunning.. at high levels. It opens up and fill the room like never heard before. But most of my listening is at background level. U know, kids/family. Its like the soundstage shrinks and bass disappears while volume goes down. Hoped its because the speakers is still new and need more brake in. 

In my experience recordings have been mastered and balanced to a given SPL which results in an optimum playback level. When a person plays the recording at less than optimum level then tonal balance shifts with a sense of less bass and soundstage shrinks. Ideally Variable  Loudness Controls and Tone Controls can compensate to a limited degree but unfortunately systems with well designed controls like these are pretty scarce. 

miketn🙂

Burn in time is a myth that needs to go away, IMHO.

Some speaker manufacturers (plus some component) know the break-in claim is nonsense but allow it to persist b/c it helps reduce the number of people who return speakers b/c they failed to live up to expectations that were often set by wildly glowing reviews, online group-think, etc..   Some companies (not necessarily Klipsch) know if they specify a long-enough break-in time, people will simply grow accustomed to the sound of their new speakers and become resigned to keeping them.  Or maybe they'll go back and reread the glowing reviews and will simply convince themselves.

Do you really think PWK would support the idea of 400 hr breakin period??  Of course not.  ..Nor did Bob Crites. ..In fact he said it took a mere few minutes.

• Like 2

Woofers probably need a little. Guys at Klipsch told me three days of normal use.

4 hours ago, Chermerkin said:

It sounds fantastic at loud listening level. Big sound with lots of details and very tight bass ... Tons better than my previous Chorus II which could cut my ear off at high volume. Way too bright and shrill. The problem now is at low to medium level where it sound closed in and very lean.

Steep slope networks vs. shallow slope.

2 hours ago, Chermerkin said:

you have to add subs , or dial in more bass on your tone control

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

Burn in time is a myth that needs to go away, IMHO.

Maybe. I also play guitar and in the world of electric guitar I dont think you will find a player who think their brand new  guitar speaker sound right. Some of it is of course ear/brain get used to the new aound but there also has to do with cloth surround that need to soften up. I see all klipsch heritage speakers has cloth surround woofers. But I donk make a clame here its also applies til klipsch. I talk to a Tannoy guy way back that said Tannoy woofers(clouth surround) could change TS parameters over time. Especially fs.

5 hours ago, Chermerkin said:

I acquired a brand new set of Cornwall IV three weeks ago and have played between 50 and 100 hours I think. Has so far not observed any changes in sound. It sounds fantastic at loud listening level. Big sound with lots of details and very tight bass. While not deep. Best I have ever heard really. Tons better than my previous Chorus II which could cut my ear off at high volume. Way too bright and shrill. The problem now is at low to medium level where it sound closed in and very lean. My Klipsch Sixes has way more bass at those levels. Hope to hear from other Cornwall IV users if this will hopefully change with more hours in them or its a common thing with these.

This is why I have built-in loudness compensation in my Yamaha CX-A5000 Pre Pro. I use this for 2.1 channels for a reason, since it pretty much smokes any other pre amp or DAC I have tried with it's ESS Sabre DAC chips in the signal path. It's not the speakers, it's Your Hearing's different curves at different levels.