Pairing a sub with Klipsch Forte IVs

Josh in DC

Wondering if any Forum members have any experience and recommendations with pairing a subwoofer with the Fortes? I just purchased a pair of Forte IVs and I have a REL s510 subwoofer. Not sure if it's really worth keeping in the mix. The s510 has an active 10" driver and a 12" passive driver, and is driven by a 500 watt amp. Maybe as I'm driving the Fortes using a low watt SET amp, the sub will add some punch??

What are Forum users experiences?

I have Forte IVs paired with my new REL S812 and I love the synergy the combo of the Forte IVs and REL sub beings  The REL makes the Fortes sound so much better in my space. Night and day difference with the sub on. Wider and deeper sound stage and they match so well you don’t hear the sub as separate from the Fortes.

you should be in for a big treat.

4 hours ago, Josh in DC said:

Thanks Onepocket and Fido for your feedback. Still early days here for me with the Klipsch Fortes but I think the REL sub is worth keeping in the mix. It's subtle but does add a bit of depth and punch to the bass.

I find the REL adds more than punch to the bass of the Fortes. It opens up the soundstage quite a bit in my listening space and all frequencies sound better to me

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2022 at 11:52 AM, Josh in DC said:

Thanks Onepocket and Fido for your feedback. Still early days here for me with the Klipsch Fortes but I think the REL sub is worth keeping in the mix. It's subtle but does add a bit of depth and punch to the bass.

Experiment a bit with the level and high frequency cutoff, including some settings that may seem a little extreme.  That will give you a better idea of the possibilities the REL can bring to your system.  You're supposed to hear your sub's presence, not just a hint of it.  Does it help your system sound more like live music?  Your ears are the best judges of what's right for you.

10 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Just curious. I'm baffled by the need for subs with a pair of Forte's. Is this for two channel audio or movies? I can't even fathom listeners still wanting more bass with Forte's. Maybe for movies but two channel? 

Sorry you are baffled. Forte IVs have good bass on their own but they benefit with great subwoofer integration. And yes for movies a sub is NEEDED but for two channel the Rel Sub takes the listening experience to a much higher enjoyment level. It’s not even close.

For example with my Forte 1’s I turned the bass knob on my preamp to 3 o’clock even though I don’t even need to do this and my friend said that’s way too much bass. Subs in my particular room are totally unnecessary but I’ll try them in a larger room and then maybe subs might be used. Interesting 

No matter how much you crank up the bass gain on your preamp the Fortes will never pressurize a room like Fortes with the addition of a good sub. The fortes can’t hit below 20hz no matter if they are Forte 1s or 2s or 3s or 4s.  It isn’t about bsss volume it’s so much more.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:06 AM, Idontknow said:

Just curious. I'm baffled by the need for subs with a pair of Forte's. Is this for two channel audio or movies? I can't even fathom listeners still wanting more bass with Forte's. Maybe for movies but two channel? 

Electronic dance music (EDM), rap, and other types of music will go below the frequency range of most "full-range" speakers. If you want the full experience of some types of music, a subwoofer will be beneficial.

I want to be able to play any music I might like and have it sound fantastic. I listen to classic rock, acoustic covers, pop, edm, Gaga, etc. there is a lot of music that can dig much lower than 30hz. No reason I can see to ignore the lower octaves in so much music.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fido said:

I want to be able to play any music I might like and have it sound fantastic. I listen to classic rock, acoustic covers, pop, edm, Gaga, etc. there is a lot of music that can dig much lower than 30hz. No reason I can see to ignore the lower octaves in so much music.

Yup. I listen to A LOT of EDM. I am WELL aware of the NEED for subs. 

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Yup. I listen to A LOT of EDM. I am WELL aware of the NEED for subs. 

I listen to a lot of David Guietta, Tao Cruz, Lady Gaga, Ariana etc but even Gordon Lightfoot, Jackson Brown, and James Taylor have some great underlying and very solid low end sub bass lines. Rihanna has so many songs with deep bass that just rock my living room and yes - I need subs to enjoy her music.

I don't understand the posters on this forum that argue that subwoofers are not a positive addition to ones system synergy. I get that if they are setup wrong they are not an add but why not set them up correctly????