Drill out JBL2384 horn exit to 2 inch? Added; vs K510

Emile

Haha; still have not found enough room for a K402 :( 

So, was looking at a JBL 2384 horn - see https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/jbl-365359-001-2384-hornwaveguide-3732/ . However, horn exit is only 1-1/2 inch. Have several 2 inch CD's (and really do not want to downgrade to a 1-1/2" CD).

Have some other JBL horns and the material thickness seems to be about 1/2 inch thick.  Drilling out the exit to 2 inch would (only) take another 1/4 inch out of the material :)  Anyone done this?

Cheers, Emile

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Haha; still have not found enough room for a K402 :( 

So, was looking at a JBL 2384 horn - see https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/jbl-365359-001-2384-hornwaveguide-3732/ . However, horn exit is only 1-1/2 inch. Have several 2 inch CD's (and really do not want to downgrade to a 1-1/2" CD).

Have some other JBL horns and the material thickness seems to be about 1/2 inch thick.  Drilling out the exit to 2 inch would (only) take another 1/4 inch out of the material :)  Anyone done this?

Cheers, Emile

you're gonna have to drill another 1/2 inch out of the throat   , and yeah , that will work very well giving you the correct dispersion , to use with a 2 inch driver   .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Haha; "thought" I would try it ... however, 2 inch drill bits are about $200 :( 

I would not use a drill bit as it can grab ,  first , outline / mark the area to be removed   , and enlarge it   using a Dremel tool with the various tips for such delicate work  . .

• Thanks 1

Look around to rent a reamer to do it. Even a wood taper that you could wrap with sandpaper. A Dremel won't work for something like what you want to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Emile said:

Update ... had "The Speaker Exchange" investigate the throat area ... they said "NO WAY."  Darn; back to the drawing board :( 

Emile , I spoke  yesterday with  a tech I know   who works at JBL tech support ,  he did not say ' no way "   , he said , no problemo  -

you gotta ask  the JBL  Pros .

Go Ahead give JBL Tech support  a call ,  ask for Raphaël   1 844-776-4899 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

@RandyH Thank you SIR ... OK; continuing. But just made someone an offer on 1.5" JBL2451H drivers :( 

Not sure if you are aware or not, but those drivers can be fitted with a Truextent Beryllium diaphragm.   DJK once said that horn with a Beryllium driver was hard to beat.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Emile said:

@RandyH Thank you SIR ... OK; continuing. But just made someone an offer on 1.5" JBL2451H drivers :( 

Makes sense  , no cutting , no messing around    , but no way a 1,5 inch driver /horn is gonna  sound like a 2 inch JBL 2360A which is on par with the K-402 ,  it's a compromise at best  , and  sooner or later , the 1,5 inch will go out the door   .

JBL 2360A Bi-Radial Constant Coverage HORN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandyH said:

no way a 1,5 inch driver /horn is gonna  sound like a 2 inch

Did not think so ... but at least this gives me a 30x18 inch setup ... has to be better than a K510 (???) :) 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

those drivers can be fitted with a Truextent Beryllium diaphragm

Thanks; nice to know. Guess I better start saving :) 

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, babadono said:

doesn't HAVE to be, the K510 is no slouch.

If I recall, you have both :) So; how do you compare your JBL 4722 HF section vs the K510?

• Emile changed the title to Drill out JBL2384 horn exit to 2 inch? Added; vs K510