KG4 & KG1, MD

uteman1011

1 hour ago, Amphicar said:

Purchased the lot today, just got home with it.  Couple corners dinged up on the KG1’s but they sound good.  Forgot how much I enjoy the sound of KG4’s!  I haven’t hooked up the rest of it.  Selling some, keeping some.  

I too love Kg4’s. Great speaker, especially for the price. 

• Like 2

On 4/14/2022 at 8:08 PM, Amphicar said:

Purchased the lot today, just got home with it.  Couple corners dinged up on the KG1’s but they sound good.  Forgot how much I enjoy the sound of KG4’s!  I haven’t hooked up the rest of it.  Selling some, keeping some.  

GL with them.  I just got home from being out of town (Not far from B'more) and was about to jump on this.

11 hours ago, M.Att said:

GL with them.  I just got home from being out of town (Not far from B'more) and was about to jump on this.

Thanks! The KG4’s sound fantastic, enjoyed them for much of the weekend.  THe KG1’s have a nice sound to them, but I prefer bigger klipsch so I will sell them.  I sold the receiver, RCA sub, and Icon center speaker yesterday.  Overall, worth the 45 minute drive to Baltimore.

4 hours ago, Amphicar said:

Thanks! The KG4’s sound fantastic, enjoyed them for much of the weekend.  THe KG1’s have a nice sound to them, but I prefer bigger klipsch so I will sell them.  I sold the receiver, RCA sub, and Icon center speaker yesterday.  Overall, worth the 45 minute drive to Baltimore.

Excellent.  I rebuilt a pair of KG4s a month ago and they came out great.  Unfortunately (for me) they were for my brother and he now is enjoying them.

I wish I had gotten REW working for the final frequency response measurements, but oh well.  I loved the new sound with a tamed horn and my brother will have them forever.

On 4/18/2022 at 1:47 PM, M.Att said:

Excellent.  I rebuilt a pair of KG4s a month ago and they came out great.  Unfortunately (for me) they were for my brother and he now is enjoying them.

I wish I had gotten REW working for the final frequency response measurements, but oh well.  I loved the new sound with a tamed horn and my brother will have them forever.

Great looking project!  Seems very well thought out.  I know where you could find another set…. 

51 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

Great looking project!  Seems very well thought out.  I know where you could find another set…. 

🙂 I have my eyes on some KP2500s,  going to Baltimore on Thursday to check them out.  There's a fair chance I rework them too.

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think I spent more than $50 per crossover, but I reused inductors from the original and sourced the others from another project's leftover parts.  The bass was much more evident and the horn was tamed nicely.  It's possible that change was mostly affected by the addition of the L-Pad, I wasn't able to discretely test each additional component to the XOver.  (e.g. notch filter & zobel)

5 hours ago, M.Att said:

🙂 I have my eyes on some KP2500s,  going to Baltimore on Thursday to check them out.  There's a fair chance I rework them too.

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think I spent more than $50 per crossover, but I reused inductors from the original and sourced the others from another project's leftover parts.  The bass was much more evident and the horn was tamed nicely.  It's possible that change was mostly affected by the addition of the L-Pad, I wasn't able to discretely test each additional component to the XOver.  (e.g. notch filter & zobel)

I was tempted on that set (if you’re referring to the 2500s I think you are).  If you get them, and are interested in working a trade on them and any of the following: Heresy II’s, KG4’s, KG1’s or a single KP-250, let me know!  I like the pro stuff better.  Also picked up 3 Academy centers today, they sound great.  

57 minutes ago, Amphicar said:

I was tempted on that set (if you’re referring to the 2500s I think you are).  If you get them, and are interested in working a trade on them and any of the following: Heresy II’s, KG4’s, KG1’s or a single KP-250, let me know!  I like the pro stuff better.  Also picked up 3 Academy centers today, they sound great.  

There's a greater than zero chance these 2500s have a low WAF.  :)  While my wife generally likes black speakers I don't think fuzzy ones will do, but we'll see.  I like that they already have the Crites diaphragms and all the other extras.  On paper they don't have much bass though ... I'm thinking of a demo playlist that will encompass all the music genres I like and have a high dynamic range.

What are your H2's like?

Cheers

I’ll admit, the rat fur even gave me pause, but hell I don’t have a wife.  They do look in nice condition, though.  The Crites parts are a nice touch but they don’t add much for me, I’d almost rather if they were just Klipsch.  

my HII’s are sonically in great shape, the cabinets need a bit of love, a few bruises on the corners and edges.  I bought them & planned to re veneer, but I plugged them in and they sounded so good that project got put on a way back burner.  Great candidates if you like to tinker.  I can send you some pictures if you’d like. 

On 4/20/2022 at 7:21 AM, Amphicar said:

I’ll admit, the rat fur even gave me pause, but hell I don’t have a wife.  They do look in nice condition, though.  The Crites parts are a nice touch but they don’t add much for me, I’d almost rather if they were just Klipsch.  

my HII’s are sonically in great shape, the cabinets need a bit of love, a few bruises on the corners and edges.  I bought them & planned to re veneer, but I plugged them in and they sounded so good that project got put on a way back burner.  Great candidates if you like to tinker.  I can send you some pictures if you’d like. 

Well, I have em, they are in pristine condition too!  The gentleman that was selling was interested in some Forte IVs for his pool table area. 

Within minutes of getting them home i ran into one unintended consequence,  namely the corollary to WAF: CAF.  Cat Attraction Factor.  The fur covering is like a magnet and so far the only solution has been AC/DC.  (Music, not electric shock)  If I can't remedy this I may have to head to the Garage Sale area. 😕

WAF rating so far is not zero, but hovering around a 2 on a scale of 0 to 10.  I'll have to start a new thread around these in the modifications area.  I think LPad'ing the mid and tweeter are going to be necessary to bring out the bass from these.  I really don't mind sacrificing a few DB if it brings them into balance.  First things first though, measurements in the morning when everyone is out of the house.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M.Att said:

Well, I have em, they are in pristine condition too!  The gentleman that was selling was interested in some Forte IVs for his pool table area. 

Within minutes of getting them home i ran into one unintended consequence,  namely the corollary to WAF: CAF.  Cat Attraction Factor.  The fur covering is like a magnet and so far the only solution has been AC/DC.  (Music, not electric shock)  If I can't remedy this I may have to head to the Garage Sale area. 😕

WAF rating so far is not zero, but hovering around a 2 on a scale of 0 to 10.  I'll have to start a new thread around these in the modifications area.  I think LPad'ing the mid and tweeter are going to be necessary to bring out the bass from these.  I really don't mind sacrificing a few DB if it brings them into balance.  First things first though, measurements in the morning when everyone is out of the house.

Cool!! So glad you got them, they were a great looking set.  My HII’s are pretty cat proof… 

On 4/14/2022 at 6:08 PM, Amphicar said:

Congrats!!!  I love it when a fellow board member scores.