Denefrips Terminator 2 DAC?

Fido

Looking for any impressions of the Denefrips Terminator 11. I have a Denefrips Pontus1 and love it but there are some people that claim that the Terminator sounds much better and like everything audio I am curious.

• Like 1

It's good... very good.

However I preferred the sound of my current dac over the terminator because of the laid back nature of the denafrips.

I have no doubt that it would be a nice improvement from where you are currently at.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Schu said:

It's good... very good.

However I preferred the sound of my current dac over the terminator because of the laid back nature of the denafrips.

I have no doubt that it would be a nice improvement from where you are currently at.

Thanks Schu for the feedback

50 minutes ago, rplace said:

I have a Terminator + (plus) no complaints. Never heard the T2 or Pontius. Have owned Aries II and Venus II, with and without Gaia.

Did you ever trade your T+ for the silver one? Is the terminator noticeably better than the Venus?

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Did you ever trade your T+ for the silver one? Is the terminator noticeably better than the Venus?

After living with both Venus II and T+ BOTH with and without Gaia. I concluded the Gaia added nothing to either. The only difference between the Venus II and T+ was a slight bit of gain on the T+. Initially that made me think it was better/different. It was not. The T+ was just slightly louder. At the same time I offered up the Venus/Gaia combo and T+ and was willing to let the market decide with I kept. The Venus/Gaia combo sold for asking price in less than a day. No more problem with silver and black mismatch. I'm keeping the black T+ but just as easily could have lived with the Venus. I've talked to a couple of  other T+ owners and they too felt the Gaia added AND subtracted nothing, we were all using the clock synch feature with dual BNCs.

Lots of hype out there and I suspect a good dose of confirmation bias and expectation bias. That said I can't tell others what they can and can't hear. Even if it is just the placebo effect; if it helps, it helps. I think there is some valid reasoning behind Darko not reviewing DACs much anymore. At some level, IMO, I feel there are way better gains to be had with speakers, placement, room treatments, even amps.

I'm glad I bought the Gaia and found out for myself. Knowing what I know now, I probably should have quit at the Venus. I really like it and it became the catalyst for me selling all but 75 of my vinyl LPs. One step closer to simplifying and downsizing with retirement squarely on the horizon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rplace said:

After living with both Venus II and T+ BOTH with and without Gaia. I concluded the Gaia added nothing to either. The only difference between the Venus II and T+ was a slight bit of gain on the T+. Initially that made me think it was better/different. It was not. The T+ was just slightly louder. At the same time I offered up the Venus/Gaia combo and T+ and was willing to let the market decide with I kept. The Venus/Gaia combo sold for asking price in less than a day. No more problem with silver and black mismatch. I'm keeping the black T+ but just as easily could have lived with the Venus. I've talked to a couple of  other T+ owners and they too felt the Gaia added AND subtracted nothing, we were all using the clock synch feature with dual BNCs.

Lots of hype out there and I suspect a good dose of confirmation bias and expectation bias. That said I can't tell others what they can and can't hear. Even if it is just the placebo effect; if it helps, it helps. I think there is some valid reasoning behind Darko not reviewing DACs much anymore. At some level, IMO, I feel there are way better gains to be had with speakers, placement, room treatments, even amps.

I'm glad I bought the Gaia and found out for myself. Knowing what I know now, I probably should have quit at the Venus. I really like it and it became the catalyst for me selling all but 75 of my vinyl LPs. One step closer to simplifying and downsizing with retirement squarely on the horizon.

Thank you so much for your first hand experiences and I have not noticed a difference with my Hermes added to my Pontus, either. Like you I needed to give it a try to decide for myself.

Now my thinking is to just stay with the Pontus which I find quite enjoyable.

good luck in retirement. I am enjoying mine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...