Newly restored Forte I’s

Idontknow

I think what’s unfortunate is why nobody has any reviews on the older models as if they’re bad or something. The older models are still great speakers and in certain cases better in some ways. It just seems to me all people give a shit about is what’s marketed to them. Nobody is specific about why something is better, worse or different. I think it’s absolutely nuts in this day and age that there are literally zero videos on the Forte 1 or 2 for that matter. All these YouTuber’s talk about is newly marketed stuff because their only mission is to increase their subscription counts and people are stupid and gullible enough to fall for it. Don’t forget to subscribe folks!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Idontknow said:

Probably explains why people still contemplate subs even after having spent 5K on a pair of the latest Forte’s. Pretty absurd if you ask me. 

Any speaker can benefit from adding a Sub if it’s integrated well with your mains. My ones and IVs sound great with no sub but adding the Sub takes them to a much higher level. Much wider and deeper soundstage at even low volumes and the Fortes play like much larger speakers.

Fortes are wonderful speakers no matter the version.

12 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

I think what’s unfortunate is why nobody has any reviews on the older models as if they’re bad or something. The older models are still great speakers and in certain cases better in some ways. It just seems to me all people give a shit about is what’s marketed to them. Nobody is specific about why something is better, worse or different. I think it’s absolutely nuts in this day and age that there are literally zero videos on the Forte 1 or 2 for that matter. All these YouTuber’s talk about is newly marketed stuff because their only mission is to increase their subscription counts and people are stupid and gullible enough to fall for it. Don’t forget to subscribe folks!

There is a Stereophile review where the forte'(1) was tested and quoted by those at the time, who commented that this speaker is the best balanced speaker we have tested. A little vague since last read it 

It is here a copy from magazine. A search should retrieve article.

On 4/15/2022 at 12:24 AM, Idontknow said:

C83A123D-D6CA-499D-9EAF-A31FA45FF58E.jpeg

The modern risers are a nice touch. I installed the same type on my Chorus II pair. They were solid birch, and they really tightened up the bass, giving my Chorus IIs more of a sealed sub sound.

• Like 1

I agree subs can work well but not in my case. I’ve been using my Rel T5i’s with my Heresy II’s for some time now. In some cases just one sub or in some cases, two subs and they are amazing with the Heresy. Match made in heaven. I had one for each channel. 80-90% of the music I listen to is jazz and the rest, classical. One of my friends is a classical guru and has attended numerous live events. He always worries about bass with cellos so when he came over to hear these Forte I’s he said there was too much bass. I told him I did that just to shut his bass headed concerns up.

He says it’s too close to the wall. I said no, you’ve been watching too many modern Forte videos. I had the bass on the preamp purposely turned up to the 3 o’clock position, so I set it back to flat. He says that’s much better. I said good, you’re happy with the bass? He says yea, this sounds amazing and loves the cellos. With jazz in my room though, there’s absolutely no possible way my Rel’s Would improve the sound of these Forte1’s. They contain well more than enough bass if desired. So, I have no idea how subs could even remotely improve these Forte I’s. The bass is tight, clean, deep and fast. 

I think listeners have to determine the genre of music they’re playing first. For example, in home theater I get the idea of adding subs for rumble, but for jazz musicality adding subs to these Forte I’s would be unlistenable IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

I agree subs can work well but not in my case. I’ve been using my Rel T5i’s with my Heresy II’s for some time now. In some cases just one sub or in some cases, two subs and they are amazing with the Heresy. Match made in heaven. I had one for each channel. 80-90% of the music I listen to is jazz and the rest, classical. One of my friends is a classical guru and has attended numerous live events. He always worries about bass with cellos so when he came over to hear these Forte I’s he said there was too much bass. I told him I did that just to shut his bass headed concerns up.

He says it’s too close to the wall. I said no, you’ve been watching too many modern Forte videos. I had the bass on the preamp purposely turned up to the 3 o’clock position, so I set it back to flat. He says that’s much better. I said good, you’re happy with the bass? He says yea, this sounds amazing and loves the cellos. With jazz in my room though, there’s absolutely no possible way my Rel’s Would improve the sound of these Forte1’s. They contain well more than enough bass if desired. So, I have no idea how subs could even remotely improve these Forte I’s. The bass is tight, clean, deep and fast. 

I think listeners have to determine the genre of music they’re playing first. For example, in home theater I get the idea of adding subs for rumble, but for jazz musicality adding subs to these Forte I’s would be unlistenable IMO.

I think the Rel S812 is a Major improvement to the entire musical presentation of my Forte IVs.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

I think the Rel S812 is a Major improvement to the entire musical presentation of my Forte IVs.

Gosh, I’m actually sorry to hear that. Amazes me your Forte IV aren’t enough on their own. I guess it must be something to do with the acoustics of your room so perhaps in your case it’s needed. Have you even considered taking your 1’s and placing them where the IV’s are instead just to see what happens to the bass? Maybe it’s  not enough still.

i was amazed when Paducah Home Theater was comparing the Heresy IV to the Forte IV. There were times when they liked each more than the other and yet when I listen to the Forte I and the Heresy IV, there is absolutely nothing the Heresy IV does better, nothing, and you pay more for them. Strange how different the outcomes are with reviews sometimes. 

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Out of curiosity what size is your room? If rectangular, are the Forte’s pointed at you along the long side of the room or perpendicular?

1 hour ago, Idontknow said:

Gosh, I’m actually sorry to hear that. Amazes me your Forte IV aren’t enough on their own. I guess it must be something to do with the acoustics of your room so perhaps in your case it’s needed. Have you even considered taking your 1’s and placing them where the IV’s are instead just to see what happens to the bass? Maybe it’s  not enough still.

i was amazed when Paducah Home Theater was comparing the Heresy IV to the Forte IV. There were times when they liked each more than the other and yet when I listen to the Forte I and the Heresy IV, there is absolutely nothing the Heresy IV does better, nothing, and you pay more for them. Strange how different the outcomes are with reviews sometimes. 

I guess I did not explain it in detail enough. I have had the forte ones for the past 20 years and they were right where my forte4s are now. They both sound great. The IVs sound much better to me than the Forte 1s. The bass of the IVs is deeper and mid bass is more punchy and the midrange is better than the 1s. But… add the Rel S812 subwoofer and the entire system sounds EVEN better. It’s not that the Fortes are not awesome but adding the REL has made everything sound better.

I understand that some people don’t like subwoofers but I am not one of those people. The forte 1s do not sound as amazing as the IVs with identical placement. I would not trade my IVs for the ones.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Idontknow said:

Do you use the EVO400 with those Forte IV’s?

I sure do! I love the Evo 400. I had an MA 252 and it sounded very good - but thePL sounded better to me so I traded it in on the EVO 40 and I am hooked on the all tube integrated.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:22 PM, Idontknow said:

when I listen to the Forte I and the Heresy IV, there is absolutely nothing the Heresy IV does better, nothing, and you pay more for them.

I think that you're greatly confused  .

the Heresy IV is light years ahead of the Forte 1 , better woofer , better midrange , better tweeter , and an ultra modern crossover ,+ a  better ported cabinet ,  the Midrange driver  and tweeter of the HIV are even shared with the Cornwall IV , and there are 0 complaints about the H IV .

6 hours ago, RandyH said:

the Heresy IV is light years ahead of the Forte 1 , better woofer , better midrange , better tweeter , and an ultra modern crossover ,+ a  better ported cabinet ,  the Midrange driver  and tweeters of the HIV are even shared with the Cornwall IV , and there are 0 complaints about the H IV .

Objectively I'd say you're 100% right, the new "IV" product line across the board has been significantly improved over the older models especially in the quality of drivers and crossover technology but which will sound better to any one individual can only be determined by that one said individual-- no sense in arguing on points that are purely subjective in nature. What's that they say about opinions, they're like a-holes-- everyone has one and they all stink. Of course this is just my opinion so.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RandyH said:

the Heresy IV is light years ahead of the Forte 1 , better woofer , better midrange , better tweeter , and an ultra modern crossover ,+ a  better ported cabinet ,  the Midrange driver  and tweeters of the HIV are even shared with the Cornwall IV , and there are 0 complaints about the H IV .

I would prefer a newer design as well. However, it really comes down to preference. I had a nice long conversation with Jim at JEM Performance and contrary to my opinion, he prefers the original La Scalas over the latest. They just sound more natural to him. He has years of recording studio experience, and every new Klipsch model on his showroom floor.... yet he still prefers version I. He knows what he likes, and he knows a lot. Can't argue with that.