Damage to corner of Cornwall IV's in Walnut, any advice on repair?

partymark

44 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

That seems to do the trick. Fortunately it was very minor. Where did you buy the Cornwalls? Did they have a pair on hand to view and listen to?

I bought them at Audio Connection in Burlington, they have a listening room with Cornwall's set up.  I have Cornwall I's so I knew I wanted the IV's 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, partymark said:

I bought them at Audio Connection in Burlington, they have a listening room with Cornwall's set up.  I have Cornwall I's so I knew I wanted the IV's 

Thanks, I seem to remember you were in Ontario. I'll be heading down there in late July for the covid delayed memorial service for my brother. Will be on the other side of TO for a bit (Oshawa). That is not all that far away. I haven't had a chance to see them in person. Can't really afford a pair right now but they are right at the top of my retirement gift to myself list in a couple years. I'd like to check them and the  Forte IVs out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad you didn't use stain or one of the pens.  Typically that will give results that are far too dark especially on damaged wood.  You will have to maintain the oil finish on this speaker over time.  Buy some Danish oil in the natural color.  It has oils that will naturally darken over time and blend that area.  It also has varnish that will tighten the wood fibers that are damaged in that area.  You can apply with 0000 steel wool.  Depending on your environment, the factory finish shouldn't need rejuvenating for several years.  In the mean time do not apply anything to them-  especially not Howard's Feed n Wax, lemon oil, Pledge (will ruin an oil finish) or any of the other garbage you may find at the grocery store. Just dust them and wipe with a slightly dampened cloth when needed.  

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 8:09 AM, Godataloss said:

I'm glad you didn't use stain or one of the pens.  Typically that will give results that are far too dark especially on damaged wood.  You will have to maintain the oil finish on this speaker over time.  Buy some Danish oil in the natural color.  It has oils that will naturally darken over time and blend that area.  It also has varnish that will tighten the wood fibers that are damaged in that area.  You can apply with 0000 steel wool.  Depending on your environment, the factory finish shouldn't need rejuvenating for several years.  In the mean time do not apply anything to them-  especially not Howard's Feed n Wax, lemon oil, Pledge (will ruin an oil finish) or any of the other garbage you may find at the grocery store. Just dust them and wipe with a slightly dampened cloth when needed.  

How often would you say I need to do the Danish Oil refinish?  Any reason I would apply with steel wool over just rubbing on with a cloth, would the steel wool not scratch the veneer?  

2 hours ago, partymark said:

How often would you say I need to do the Danish Oil refinish?  Any reason I would apply with steel wool over just rubbing on with a cloth, would the steel wool not scratch the veneer?  

These aren’t oil finished veneers. They have a lacquer finish and should not have any oil finishes applied. Follow the cleaning instructions that come with the current Heritage Line which is usually just dust or a very lightly damped cloth.

miketn

My advice, whatever you have done up till now, just stop and leave it alone. I would have just left the damage but it looks like you were able to blend it in some but you can make it worse and not even know. If they are lacquered finish, adding oils will make it so that you will never be able to properly apply lacquer in that spot, it will never stick, so you would now need to sand, etc etc. It is a rabbit hole, best to always leave it alone, and if it bothers you that much, hire a pro to fix it.

Since these are vintage inspired speakers a bit of wear/relic actually suites them and will never look bad, IMO. Of course I would also be upset but I have screwed up enough furniture, guitars, find wood décor to know that cheap repairs are never worth it in the long run. My CW IV are more of a light satin gloss finish too, I have the Black Ash, I am guessing yours are the same, rubbing them will make it shiny and that zone will stick out like a sore thumb. Anyways, my advice is to leave it alone from here on, you can't undo what you already did, but you can stop doing anything else. 

• 9 months later...

Hi BillyBob,

I do see grills in a few pics; one with it on and a couple of other shots with a grill in the background.

The seller says they'll ship at buyer's expense and risk. They have a solid history and rating in that marketplace though, so hopefully they'd do a decent job on shipping. 

If these were going in my work room, I think I'd be less worried about how well they'd clean up and just be stoked to have the sound.

These would be going in the living room though, so looks are a real consideration.

But yes, definitely considering an offer.  

Edited by Apemonk
missing word
  • Like 1

Thanks, rear panel images is a good idea.

Yeah, I don't know what to make of the fact that they've been listed for so long. I had a deal for a pair with a guy on Audiogon when someone else swooped in, surprising me and the seller; if the price is decent they go quick. I imagine other folks have the same trepidation I have with this listing.

My question to the forum is "Do you think these flaws can be treated/minimized to the point where they're only noticeable on close inspection?" 

And I get that not only might this be tough to know without running our hands over it, but our senses of what's "acceptable" are quite personal.  

• Like 1

Yes @Apemonk ... there were some AL-5s on craigslist down here that did not sell right away in a similar condition.

With best offer and consider shipping cost, you have some considering to do.

Finding an acceptable price to you and the seller vital. Buying something you cannot hear, makes the pics of all, and questions asked important as, you will likely have to live with them for abit.

From  seller pov, what would you resell them for...