Label on RP-5 Question

Iteachstem

I just saw a set of RP-5's come up for sale locally.  (The ones with the built in subs on the sides) The label says "RP 5 Black B" and I asked the guy what was the reason that it was a  "B" stock speaker.  I was thinking most likely a laminate issue or something simple.  He said they aren't "B stock" speakers and that the "B" stood for black.  (Seemed redundant...right?) Then, I looked up some images online and noticed the labels said "RP 5 Black A" 

Am I missing something here?  I have owned many Klipsch speakers over the years, but I have never run into a label I couldn't decode.  Any help is always appreciated.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• Iteachstem changed the title to Label on RP-5 Question

Has anyone owned or heard these speakers? Thoughts?

I'm always trying different speakers, but I have never heard these.  I know they most likely will have subwoofer amp issues, as every Klipsch sub I've owned, except my rsw-10,  had issues! 

Some guy is asking 400.  Both woofers have damage and from the pictures the cabinets seem to be okay for 20+ year old speakers.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  If they are awful, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thank you!

• Like 1

My best friend had RP-3s.  He used them as surrounds so I can't comment on their performance as main speakers.  One of the amps failed (🙄) but he bought them used and they were several years old already when he got them.

38 minutes ago, Iteachstem said:

I'm always trying different speakers, but I have never heard these.  I know they most likely will have subwoofer amp issues, as every Klipsch sub I've owned, except my rsw-10,  had issues! 

Some guy is asking 400.  Both woofers have damage and from the pictures the cabinets seem to be okay for 20+ year old speakers.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  If they are awful, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thank you!

A pic would be helpful. What you may be calling woofer may be the mid copper driver below tweeter. Can only think of one member right off that used and quite liked the powered models.

There is more than one line by Klipsch of those type.

If complete and cabinet in decent shape and grilles, and copper speakers not showing much apparent damage with all sounding good, you could take a chance. I like the idea of 3, maybe 350 especially  with any damage.

Yes, not near as bad dents as can tell. Have seen worse.

Agree on the price. Still they are there. Maybe 3 if seeing correctly. Sure you have the skills to make cabs look better.

As for sound, do a search of forum if want to. Member that came to mind is T2K (RIP).

Know you like dentless speakers per your RF-82 thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iteachstem said:

Thank you!

Never heard these speakers but looking at the specs they are basically jumbo RB-5's with built in subs. While the RB-5's are decent speakers not sure what to make of these-- I think I'd pass unless they were really cheap like $100, especially with damaged cones and questionable sub amplifiers. If I'm being honest I'd probably hesitate to drive across town to pick them up for free.

http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1299/klipschrp5.htm

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. 

I'm always into trying new speakers.  I'm not afraid to refinish them, replace a driver or two and perhaps beef up the cabinet if it makes sense to do so.  (I even bought a pair of Bose 10.2's a while back...insert gasp here!.... just to see what they sounded like.  I remember a lot of hype around that speaker back in the day.  Well, I bought them for $200, cleaned them up a bit and had a listen,  Then, sold them for $200 a week later!  Needless to say, I wasn't wowed!)

I am looking for some interesting garage speakers... right now I have a set of polk monitor 8t's paired with a small 8" sub.  They sound great, but I was thinking of moving the 8t's back into the house, as they are in perfect condition, and I don't want to ruin them in the garage.... relatively hot/humid summers and cold winters here in Illinois and my garage is not climate controlled.  I was thinking of trying these RF-5's if I could get them for a decent price, but I think I am going to pass.  I believe it would be more of a headache than anything else.  The damaged drivers on these wouldn't bother me (too much), as they are going to be in the garage.  However, I would worry about the sub amps going out... and them having to get creative with a work around like I have done with many Klipsch subs in the past.

13 hours ago, billybob said:

Yes, not near as bad dents as can tell. Have seen worse.

Agree on the price. Still they are there. Maybe 3 if seeing correctly. Sure you have the skills to make cabs look better.

As for sound, do a search of forum if want to. Member that came to mind is T2K (RIP).

Know you like dentless speakers per your RF-82 thread.

I never did find a replacement.  But that really didn't matter, it wasn't that bad and I had fun refinishing those speakers.  They went to a friend of a family member, and they didn't care about the woofer as they are a fan of speaker grills. (I guess I like things to look as good as they sound)

I was going to use those RF-82's as garage speakers, but they were a little too big and heavy for the shelves... as well as they would be positioned on their sides about a foot from the ceiling.... so not ideal at all with the horn tweeters!

• Like 1