Add 2 channel Heritage system to home theater setup? Klipschorn on sliders possible? Room pics attached.

amheck

Hi all,

We recently moved into a new house that has a big open room over the 3 car garage.  I use this has my office and guitar room and am planning a theater with a 120" screen and projector.  I would like to also try to incorporate a 2-channel Heritage system in here, too, and was curious about your thoughts.

5.1.4 system will be RF-7 iii's and RC-64iii up front.  Ignore the TV below, just in place temporarily until the 120" screen and ultra short throw projector get here.  Unfortunately, with the low ceilings, I will only have ~35" underneath the projection screen.  I had initially thought about moving out the RF-7's a little more wider and then putting a pair of quartets just inside them, as I believe these are the biggest Heritage speakers under 35" which wouldn't interfere with the screen.

Although yesterday I realized I do have 2 corners, so perhaps I could move the RF-7 in as much as possible and then put some bigger Heritage speakers to the outside?  However.....the whole left side of this room is storage, so I'd need to be able to get to the doors there, which would mean La Scala or Klipschorn would need to go on something like Herbie Gliders.  I think this is probably ok as people use these anyway and I think they'd allow me to get into the storage doors?

Klipschorn would be the ultimate but I only have 4' there to the left of the leftmost RF7 and since those need to be pulled out a little from the wall, I wonder if that's would interfere with the corner Klipschorn?   I'm also wondering if the 20' soundstage is perhaps too wide for the room and my seating position.

Any suggestions here from anyone who's use the same space for home theater and 2 channel music?

20220418_160713.jpg

media_room.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, I guess since I've posted pics and all that, perhaps we could kill 2 questions with 1 post.

I'm also still undecided on the rear surrounds.  Thinking either the RP-600m or RP-502s.  I think both would need to be stand mounted as the back window gets in the way of wall-mounting the rear-left surround.  I am leaning towards the RP-600M as I've never used a speaker like the 502s before, but if its right for the room and the situation, I want to do what's best.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

Dang, guess the Klipsch bug bit hard... cool.

yeah, I think I mentioned before, I was between a Klipsch setup and Tekton and it just came down to finding used RF-7's first.  I have a feeling I would have been happy either way.  

But yes, now that I have a little more room, a 2 channel Heritage setup is possible, so I guess I will be all-in Klipsch for the near future.

Edited by amheck
  • Like 1

I did see the 5.x format did spec out sides as opposed to rears.  I just don't see that working in my room.  I think I'd prefer to sacrifice a little surround sound to not have speakers in the middle of the room.  But I suppose anything on a stand could be moved around but I do really probably see them on the back wall.

Interesting idea about all La Scalas up front, although the center would be too high so it's have to be something else.  Keeping my eyes out though for some nice LS II's locally

I did initially think a separate theater and 2 channel system would be neat but perhaps combining it would be much more simple.

Edited by amheck

7 minutes ago, billybob said:

How about LS 2s?

Thanks!

Yes of course a pair of La Scalas would be great but, I was considering the fact that he already has some nice Klipsch speakers. Acoustic room treatments and a rug will be more beneficial to improving the sound in that space than buying extra speakers.

• Thanks 1

If you just move the rear speakers farther apart, they’d be more to the sides and somewhat closer to the ideal Surround speaker locations.  Just remember that most system owners have to make some kind of compromise in their speaker placements for one reason or another, whether it be a heater, door, or whatever.

Your system has to work for you, and working for you also means being easy to live with, in many ways.  Speaker placement diagrams are guidelines, not iron rules.  Do what you can, then sit back and enjoy how your system sounds.

• Like 2

On the hunt for some La Scala 2's just incase.  Whether they become the main part of the system or a separate system, I do want to hear the heritage magic.

I'm not sold on the RF-7's yet.  they aren't doing anything for me and I think might be a bit harsh, but yes, we do need a rug and some more in the room.  I'm just not getting the wow factor from them yet that I had hoped after spending that money.  Someone else suggested some better amplification and I don't doubt that can help, I'm not particularly happy with the Denon x3400 I have either.

I like the idea of spreading out the rear sourrounds.  They will be on stands, I think, too, so could always move them more to the side if I felt it really added that much more to the sound track.  And then back to the rear wall to sit. as this isn't a dedicated theater room, I need to take into account that we need pathways, etc.

The one thing I'm not sure how to address is the center channel if I were to go La Scalas for the main speakers.  Home Theater and gaming is still the main priority, music would be second.  WIth the ultra short throw projector, it sits right under the screen so you really need something horizontal for a center.  So even something smaller like a Heresy would be problematic with my projector setup.

Edited by amheck

23 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

For $5000 I will BRING you a pair of Walnut LaScala 2s and a LaScala LSi (one piece model). The LSi is in St Pete anyway and I really need to get it out of my buddy's spare bedroom. The 2s are (were) A Stock and have all the original packaging etc. Again this is hand delivered by me.

That's quite a nice dealeo........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

For $5000 I will BRING you a pair of Walnut LaScala 2s and a LaScala LSi (one piece model). The LSi is in St Pete anyway and I really need to get it out of my buddy's spare bedroom. The 2s are (were) A Stock and have all the original packaging etc. Again this is hand delivered by me.

If you have a pic or 2, you may pique Interest, the especially on OPs WTB topic in garage sale.

29 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

wow, well that was fast.   :)

Sent you a msg.  I'm not sure I the setup can support a single LS center, though.  This is what I've ordered

https://awolvision.com/

and it sits right below the screen, so I can't imagine where a LS center channel would go, not to mention I think they are too tall for where the screen will go....

13 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

The La Scala LSI is 35" tall and can sit out in front of your AWOL projector.

I'll have to try and wrap my head around that.  It would seem it would be sitting over 4' away from the wall as the projector already is 28" out from the screen, plus the depth of the LS.  And probably right in line with the bottom of the screen.  Higher ceilings would sure help.

Also gotta keep in mind this is a general purpose room.  Would be a lot different if this were a dedicated theater.