Add 2 channel Heritage system to home theater setup? Klipschorn on sliders possible? Room pics attached.

amheck

Keep in mind that most speakers work nearly as well when they’re lying on their sides.  The Cornwall and Heresy (the pro monitor model) are even available in horizontal versions.  For years, I used a Heresy III lying on its side (only about 13” tall) as a Centre between my La Scalas.  Later, I replaced it with a Belle Klipsch, which was better, of course, but the H3 was quite good, because it’s also a Heritage Series speaker, so the timbre is closer to that of the La Scala/La Scala II/AL5 than any other speaker, unless you could fit a Cornwall in there.  The Heresy’s high 99 dB sensitivity also makes it easier to match its level with that of La Scalas.  The Heresy IV should be even better, but I haven’t had the opportunity to hear one.

BTW, what’s the max height for a centre speaker, table, whatever, under your projector?

3 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

For $5000 I will BRING you a pair of Walnut LaScala 2s and a LaScala LSi (one piece model). The LSi is in St Pete anyway and I really need to get it out of my buddy's spare bedroom. The 2s are (were) A Stock and have all the original packaging etc. Again this is hand delivered by me.

That's a steal, IMHO. And delivered!

39 minutes ago, michaelwjones said:

That's a steal, IMHO. And delivered!

I have to confess, I didn't even know the La Scala 2's were a thing until I saw the set you ended up purchasing a few weeks ago.  That grain pattern is amazing.  I have thought about them and even went to go look at the pics several times after.  :)

I was familiar with all of the older versions, plenty of raw birch models out there.  And then of course the AL's for $$$$.  It wasn't until your set was posted that I realized there was something in between with the split cabinet design (which I really, really like)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I was not familiar with that spec. Had seen some displays at electronics conventions, but those were in large rooms where size perception is on a different scale.

now granted, that's the measurement from the front of it.  I think its only 13" or whatever from the wall from the back of the projector, but yeah, trying to stick a speaker in front of that could be a real challenge.  You already have to get creative and stick a horizonal center much lower than it ideally would be.

59 minutes ago, amheck said:

I have to confess, I didn't even know the La Scala 2's were a thing until I saw the set you ended up purchasing a few weeks ago.  That grain pattern is amazing.  I have thought about them and even went to go look at the pics several times after.  :)

I was familiar with all of the older versions, plenty of raw birch models out there.  And then of course the AL's for $$$$.  It wasn't until your set was posted that I realized there was something in between with the split cabinet design (which I really, really like)

Well.  I had a fine long response typed out, but it disappeared just before I pressed the Submit Reply button.

Okay, in brief, the La Scala IIs are great.  I’ve got a pair of the early La Scalas and a pair of LS2s, so I can tell you that the La Scala IIs are better in every way, unless you take them on tour, in which case you’d be wishing for black-painted plywood instead of lovely veneer.  That’s about the only downside.  They only started to appear on the used market a few years ago, and they’re still at the point in their market cycle where they’re a great bargain.  They sound better than the earlier speakers, and look better, too.

• Like 1

Just say no.

Blocking windows any amount is a shame. After all; what are windows for but letting in light, and air.

Choose a speaker that fits BELOW the windows or buy a smaller screen/TV that fits between the windows with room to spare for your main speakers.

When you buy a house, you buy it to FIT YOUR DREAM AUDIO SYSTEM, everything else is secondary! 😀

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, amheck said:

On the hunt for some La Scala 2's just incase.  Whether they become the main part of the system or a separate system, I do want to hear the heritage magic.

I'm not sold on the RF-7's yet.  they aren't doing anything for me and I think might be a bit harsh, but yes, we do need a rug and some more in the room.  I'm just not getting the wow factor from them yet that I had hoped after spending that money.  Someone else suggested some better amplification and I don't doubt that can help, I'm not particularly happy with the Denon x3400 I have either.

Just for future readers....The 7's are pictured in a big bare walled room with hard floors. They are hooked to a Denon of some type which would be ok in a bedroom. So ANY evaluation of this set up is meaningless completely. Put a few hundred real watts  on them,maybe 300 in a real room with just stuff in it and wow won't cover the response from people with a 20- 10khz hearing.... Klipsch does not make a speaker that blows 7's, the old 7's much less new away.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Just for future readers....The 7's are pictured in a big bare walled room with hard floors. They are hooked to a Denon of some type which would be ok in a bedroom. So ANY evaluation of this set up is meaningless completely. Put a few hundred real watts  on them,maybe 300 in a real room with just stuff in it and wow won't cover the response from people with a 20- 10khz hearing.... Klipsch does not make a speaker that blows 7's, the old 7's much less new away.

i mean, that was a $1500 AVR.  Not top quality but nicer than anything i’ll ever have in one of my bedrooms.  Thats about the top of my price range for electronics although i am agreeable to adding an emotiva or monolith 3 or 5 channel amp.  I am shopping for a new avr but its going to be around the same price.

No doubt the room needs more in it, however in all fairness, the old speakers were in the same situation, so while not ideal listening conditions, i guess i just expected a big wow factor from the rf7 in the same environment.  I guess i was wrong.

Edited by amheck
  • Like 1

I have 3 La Scala al5 for LCR and a pair of Forte IV’s for surrounds and 2 rhythmic audio 15” subs, if you can do it you really can’t beat it in my opinion.  In my 40 years of upgradeitus this is my end game.  The center stand has been replaced with one that the center AL5 just fits under BTW.

0CD4D0CD-7835-4FBB-AE15-173A0BB9DD7E.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/20/2022 at 6:20 PM, amheck said:

No doubt the room needs more in it, however in all fairness, the old speakers were in the same situation, so while not ideal listening conditions, i guess i just expected a big wow factor from the rf7 in the same environment.

I wonder if one speaker has the polarity reversed, or the settings on your nice Denon AVR might not be optimized?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I wonder if one speaker has the polarity reversed, or the settings on your nice Denon AVR might not be optimized?

I've run the Audessey setup on the Denon with the mic and let it do its thing. I guess I will check on the polarity. 

I did finally find the AVR I've been waiting for in stock on Friday, so new onkyo rz50 on the way.  I'll run Dirac and see if that improves anything. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Let us know how you like your new RZ.

Onkyo came yesterday.  Hoping to get it out of the box tonight.

Part of me wonders if my ears just suck or perhaps I can't recognize good sound.  I do remember back in the day, maybe 15-20 years ago a couple instances going to hear these great speakers and not being impressed at all.  One was these big huge Martin Logan speakers in the uber-$$$ room at Sound Advice (anyone remember those stores?) and the other was the VMPS RM40 back when they were all the rage.  I remember going to a demo of both and thinking "meh".   I hope I can get these RF-7's ironed out and if the La Scala II purchase, maybe that's the sound I've been looking for.

• Like 1