AT ART9xi cartridge

mopardave

Just got back into vinyl with a VPI prime21.  I currently use the Ortophon Blck lvb 250 MM cartridge.  I have maybe 5hrs of my own use on it as of now and it sounds great, but always looking to make improvements as we all do.    A year of two down the road would like to try a MC cartridge and am curious if anyone here has ever used the AudioTechnica ART9xi cartridge.   Would like to hear some opinions on this MC cartridge.     Thanks

• Like 1

I just installed an AT-OC9XSL this weekend.  While obviously not the same cartridge, I've read they share the same suspension and diamond profile.  It's still breaking in (carts are one of the only devices I think that actually have a break in period) but so far I really like what I'm hearing.  I'm going from a Ortofon Black myself, so I thought I'd chime in.  I was very happy with the Black and the boron stylus of the LVB might narrow the gap with this cart even further.  The initial differences I'm noticing with the XSL are wider channel separation and less bass bloom- there is more resolution in the bottom octave.  Make sure you have a really capable phono stage as the output of the Black is something like 13 times higher than the AT.  If you like to listen really loudly, the low output of the AT will shrink your headroom massively.

2 hours ago, Godataloss said:

I just installed an AT-OC9XSL this weekend.  While obviously not the same cartridge, I've read they share the same suspension and diamond profile.  It's still breaking in (carts are one of the only devices I think that actually have a break in period) but so far I really like what I'm hearing.  I'm going from a Ortofon Black myself, so I thought I'd chime in.  I was very happy with the Black and the boron stylus of the LVB might narrow the gap with this cart even further.  The initial differences I'm noticing with the XSL are wider channel separation and less bass bloom- there is more resolution in the bottom octave.  Make sure you have a really capable phono stage as the output of the Black is something like 13 times higher than the AT.  If you like to listen really loudly, the low output of the AT will shrink your headroom massively.

Thanks for the reply. I use a MapleTree pre and the guy that builds them tells me it works with both MM and MC.  Thats all i know.

On 4/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, mopardave said:

Thanks for the reply. I use a MapleTree pre and the guy that builds them tells me it works with both MM and MC.  Thats all i know.

You should find out the exact specs of your preamp.  There is a HUGE difference in the output of the Black and the AT.  I looked briefly at the MapleTree sight and the only phono amp I see shows 40db of gain which is not enough unless you are using a step up transformer.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:14 PM, Godataloss said:

You should find out the exact specs of your preamp.  There is a HUGE difference in the output of the Black and the AT.  I looked briefly at the MapleTree sight and the only phono amp I see shows 40db of gain which is not enough unless you are using a step up transformer.

Ok, I’ll ask about that.

Hi @mopardave

To find out if Mapple Three is compatible with MC AT ART9Xi (great great MC 😍), tell us what your phono preamp model is and give us the specifications of the MC input.

If Maple Three is not compatible with MC, you can try the MM from Audiotechnica they are splendid with a great sound VM740ML or VM760SLC 😉

product_image_1593135556.jpg?1593135556

4 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Hi @mopardave

To find out if Mapple Three is compatible with MC AT ART9Xi (great great MC 😍), tell us what your phono preamp model is and give us the specifications of the MC input.

If Maple Three is not compatible with MC, you can try the MM from Audiotechnica they are splendid with a great sound VM740ML or VM760SLC 😉

product_image_1593135556.jpg?1593135556

Welcome to Mapletree Audio Design     I have the phono 3E preamp.   The gentleman tells me it is compatable. Plug and play.  We have went back and forth on this and that is all i got from him.    

It's weird, because if you read the manual it says: "40 dB gain suitable for all MM cartridges when used in conjunction with a line preamp with at least 10 dB gain."

and then the specifications of 47Kohms and 40db correspond well to an MM input.

What is destabilizing is that the gentleman tells you that the input is ok with an MC, if it is the manufacturer he must know what he is saying is correct.

You can't do a test with an old MC cartridge lying around in a drawer (run a request on this forum for a loan) just to find out if the sound is ok with the Mapletree Phono 3E before buying a nice and expensive ART9 .

https://mapletreeaudio.com/manuals/Phono 3E Users Manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, mustang_flht said:

It's weird, because if you read the manual it says: "40 dB gain suitable for all MM cartridges when used in conjunction with a line preamp with at least 10 dB gain."

and then the specifications of 47Kohms and 40db correspond well to an MM input.

What is destabilizing is that the gentleman tells you that the input is ok with an MC, if it is the manufacturer he must know what he is saying is correct.

You can't do a test with an old MC cartridge lying around in a drawer (run a request on this forum for a loan) just to find out if the sound is ok with the Mapletree Phono 3E before buying a nice and expensive ART9 .

https://mapletreeaudio.com/manuals/Phono 3E Users Manual.pdf

I would want way more than 40db with that cart.

If I got it right than the marpletree Phono 3 E is a pre amplifier for Moving Magnet Cartridges only, you can´t connect a Moving Coil Cartridge on this phono pre , except you´re using an MC Step Up Transformer , that will work fine ...

On 5/7/2022 at 10:56 PM, mopardave said:

I sent him another message this morning to confirm his last response(plug and play) with MM or MC.    Will see as no response yet.

Yesterday I wrote  " if I got it right " I  had a second view into the Marpletree E 3 Phono Pre and discovered that it has a low output Impendance < than 2,5 K Ohm. I haven´t seen that yesterday. Sorry for any inconvenience caused to you . However the AT ART 9XI is a really state of the art cartridge and there must be another reason why you´re not so satisfied with it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MicroMara said:

Yesterday I wrote  " if I got it right " I  had a second view into the Marpletree E 3 Phono Pre and discovered that it has a low output Impendance < than 2,5 K Ohm. I haven´t seen that yesterday. Sorry for any inconvenience caused to you . However the AT ART 9XI is a really state of the art cartridge and there must be another reason why you´re not so satisfied with it. 

I dont have the ART9xi. I have the MM Ortophon Black 250, which i think sounds very nice, but with be moving up to the AT ART9xi hoping for a bit more clearity or more life like should i say.    

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, mopardave said:

The gentleman tells me he ran a MC Denon 103 cartridge which has a similar voltage output as the ART9 with this phono pre amp and had no issues doing it.  

If the manufacturer/gentleman tells you that it works with an MC, then trust him and test the ART9xi on your set. On the other hand if it does not work it will be necessary to throw the stone at this gentleman.

As Micromara said if it doesn't work that way, then either an MC transformer suitable for ART9xi with a minimum of 100ohms load will have to be added.

Example

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/moving_coil_step-up_transforme.html

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

If the manufacturer/gentleman tells you that it works with an MC, then trust him and test the ART9xi on your set. On the other hand if it does not work it will be necessary to throw the stone at this gentleman.

As Micromara said if it doesn't work that way, then either an MC transformer suitable for ART9xi with a minimum of 100ohms load will have to be added.

Example

http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/moving_coil_step-up_transforme.html

Ok, Thanks.   Will see what happens.   When the MM cartridge is ready for replacement I will be stepping up to the MC.

• Like 1