Active xover at lower freq than passive?

Emile

I have no clue :(  Why are speakers specified with a lower ACTIVE crossover frequency vs a passive?

I am (again) looking at changing my K510's on my KPT-904's. 904 specs say crossed at 800/820Hz (HF/LF) with a 24dB Linkwitz slope ... and another document states 900/920 (???). However, it also states 630Hz for an active crossover. Why oh why?

Another example is the JBL 4722/4722N. The active version states 630Hz whereas the passive is crossed at 800Hz??? Was specifically looking at the JBL one as I'm trying to use the HF section (JBL 2384 horn with JBL 2451H driver) as a replacement for my K510. Horn is 30 x 15 inch ... haha; bigger must be better :)  

Appreciate you input.

Cheers, Emile

Quoted from a PM ... Active (DSP) crossovers can control the amplifiers much better than passives, and at the same time, don't have to absorb all the excess power that the amplifiers are putting out to balance the drivers/horns ("ways") to each other.

Anyone?

2 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Active crossovers typically have steeper slopes than the average passive crossover.

Yes, but ... think most people use DSP's with 24dB slopes. Now; my KPT-904's are specced with a passive 24dB xover set at 800Hz. But for "active" they are specced at 630. ???? :)