Sunfire Cinema Grand Repair Options

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Which model do you have, is it one of the original 19" versions? Signature or standard? 5 channel or 7? How long have you owned it? That silver 200x7 I posted a link for is the last version Sunfire made before moving production to China, it has all of the factory updates and higher quality capacitors already installed. It was built in 2005 and with the higher quality parts will likely easily last 10+ more years without need for servicing. 

The seller read seems to be into nice decent quality items.

Decent reviews on eBay and rating. Almost bought it myself. 

@Jedster1...Into Carver brand also. Had the A500X forget the Carver pre model.

Yes, you got the audio bug for certain. Lol...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

The seller read seems to be into nice decent quality items.

Decent reviews on eBay and rating. Almost bought it myself. 

Yes, you got the audio bug for certain. Lol...

I've purchased several items from TMR over the years always top notch service and they use a special custom foam packaging system that seems to work well. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I've purchased several items from TMR over the years always top notch service and they use a special custom foam packaging system that seems to work well. 

That's the impression I got!

Yes that packaging is cool.

Upon your experience, will keep them in mind.

Hope OP can get it sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I wandered off. My amp is the 19” Signature 400 - Seven. I’ve had it about a year or so. I’m kind of all in with this unit,it wouldn’t make sense to spend nearly what I’ve got in this one for another unit. Might as well get this one refurbed. Obviously when buying vintage electronics, failure is a possibility, so I factored in potential repairs. Figuring on at least being able to have it refurbished if it failed. That being said, repair costs were a bit lower a year or so ago. But c’est La vie. 
I’m sure it’ll get sorted, if not I guess I’ll try find something new that I like as much, for something approaching a “reasonable” price. Which might not be easy. For now at least I’ve got adequate sound. I’ll update as things progress. I’ve yet to contact the folks at Atlantic, but there’s a chance I might be in the northeast in the not too distant future. That might make a $ difference, to eliminate at least half the shipping costs. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

@M_Klipsches Looks like Flannery's Vintage Audio is officially closed if you haven't sent your amp to him already he is not accepting any new repairs:

http://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/

To my incredibly supportive customers: Due to recent health issues I feel that it is time for me to retire. I can no longer function for more than 4 hours a day at best before becoming so uncomfortable that I have to stop. Because of this; EFFECTIVE JULY 1st, 2022, I WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING ANY NEW REPAIRS. To those of you who have already sent equipment in for service, rest assured that I will do my best to repair your equipment and provide a one year warranty period as well. The same goes for anyone who has been placed on my waiting list. I will do my best to honor any and all warranty claims in a timely manner. A heartfelt thank you to all my customers who have placed their faith in me over the last 8 years. It has been an honor and a pleasure serving you. All the best, Bill Flannery Flannery's Vintage Audio

On 4/24/2022 at 3:56 PM, M_Klipsches said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for competent repair shops for these amps? I’ll probably wait, but it’s always good to have options. 
Thanks all. 

This guy from the Carversite claims to do Sunfire repairs looks like he specializes in Carver upgrades:

"Due to high volumes of requests, we are currently Scheduling at least 8 weeks out. Turn around is 2 weeks on refurbs, repairs are case by case, but usually a week or two. Thank you so much for visiting!"

https://nelionaudio.com/

"fyi - We fix and restore Sunfire and TGA7400's.

Sunfire's are generally over engineered in many areas, and look to follow a peculiar design philosophy that in many ways, doesn't work. ie - The amp sections should not 'blow up' like they do and the TDC with all it's grand filtering isn't designed to handle a fault either. So even a seasoned tech will not be able to find his way through the woods of Sunfire's madness (and it is truly madness).

Not for novices. 

Great amps when they work."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

@M_Klipsches Looks like Flannery's Vintage Audio is officially closed if you haven't sent your amp to him already he is not accepting any new repairs:

http://www.flannerysvintageaudio.com/

To my incredibly supportive customers: Due to recent health issues I feel that it is time for me to retire. I can no longer function for more than 4 hours a day at best before becoming so uncomfortable that I have to stop. Because of this; EFFECTIVE JULY 1st, 2022, I WILL NO LONGER BE ACCEPTING ANY NEW REPAIRS. To those of you who have already sent equipment in for service, rest assured that I will do my best to repair your equipment and provide a one year warranty period as well. The same goes for anyone who has been placed on my waiting list. I will do my best to honor any and all warranty claims in a timely manner. A heartfelt thank you to all my customers who have placed their faith in me over the last 8 years. It has been an honor and a pleasure serving you. All the best, Bill Flannery Flannery's Vintage Audio

Damn it Thank you. I’d not heard this at all. I am on the “wait list” but that doesn’t sound too promising.  Well either way I hope he does ok, he sounds like a stand up guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

This guy from the Carversite claims to do Sunfire repairs looks like he specializes in Carver upgrades:

"Due to high volumes of requests, we are currently Scheduling at least 8 weeks out. Turn around is 2 weeks on refurbs, repairs are case by case, but usually a week or two. Thank you so much for visiting!"

https://nelionaudio.com/

"fyi - We fix and restore Sunfire and TGA7400's.

Sunfire's are generally over engineered in many areas, and look to follow a peculiar design philosophy that in many ways, doesn't work. ie - The amp sections should not 'blow up' like they do and the TDC with all it's grand filtering isn't designed to handle a fault either. So even a seasoned tech will not be able to find his way through the woods of Sunfire's madness (and it is truly madness).

Not for novices. 

Great amps when they work."

Thank you for this as well. It really looks like I’m likely going to have to find other options. Yes they are great amplifiers (insert Caveat here) I’m kicking myself for selling my other Cinema Grand. At least I know I’m not qualified to work on it. Well I did replace the meter bulb in my old one, but that’s about all I’m qualified to do.

2 hours ago, M_Klipsches said:

Thank you for this as well. It really looks like I’m likely going to have to find other options.

I guess the link I provided above is who Bob Carver LLC recognizes as an authorized repair center:

https://nelionaudio.com/index.php?/bobcarverletter/

• Dear Enthusiast,

I have known Greg and Jenny for many years and I must say that when they work on an amplifier, tuner, or processor it is always repaired with an attention to detail that is difficult to believe. The unit is checked from input to output with only perfection in mind. To watch Greg work on a piece of gear is like watching the finest craftsman in the world performing true magic. It's like watching a Stradivarius being constructed. The unit is inspected thoroughly from top to bottom - every hold-down screw is inspected, as is every fit on the outside of the unit. Once inside, careful inspection of the circuit is performed, any anomalies are corrected and all bad parts are replaced with units equal, and usually better than, the factory originals. 

After the unit has been repaired, it is carefully checked and compared to the factory specifications and operated at full output for a significant time period to make certain all is well. Then the unit is "burned in" for 72 hours and checked yet again. Greg actually checks the unit more thoroughly than final checkout at the factory when initially manufactured! It's true! Finally, your unit is washed, cleaned, put back together better than new and sent back home to you.

When you get your unit back from Jenny and Greg, it will be PERFECT!

With deepest admiration,
    Bob Carver

• To: Nelion Audio

Dear Greg and Jenny,

The restoration service you have provided to Phase Linear, Carver and Sunfire owners over many years, has proven to be top quality in your field. Your support of these products, attention to detail, and extensive knowledge of these unique designs, has been recognized here at Bob Carver Company.

We appreciate your fine work and dedication to maintaining the high performance of these products, some being many decades after their build dates. 

It's an honor to name Nelion Audio as an -  Authorized Service Center.

On behalf of Bob Carver and Peggy Piacenza, its an honor to recognize your longstanding contributions, and welcome you to the Bob Carver team.

Sincerely,

Jim Clark
    Manager
    Bob Carver, LLC

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 6:30 PM, jjptkd said:

I guess the link I provided above is who Bob Carver LLC recognizes as an authorized repair center:

https://nelionaudio.com/index.php?/bobcarverletter/

• Dear Enthusiast,

I have known Greg and Jenny for many years and I must say that when they work on an amplifier, tuner, or processor it is always repaired with an attention to detail that is difficult to believe. The unit is checked from input to output with only perfection in mind. To watch Greg work on a piece of gear is like watching the finest craftsman in the world performing true magic. It's like watching a Stradivarius being constructed. The unit is inspected thoroughly from top to bottom - every hold-down screw is inspected, 

Thanks for the info and suggestion. I shipped the Sunfire off to them today. If busy is any indication of the quality of their work, then they must be good. My repair is scheduled for January. I might get bumped up, if they can. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out. 

• 1 month later...

Status report: Greg at Nelion Audio messaged me today that my amp has been restored to full factory function. I might add, well ahead of schedule. I should have it back in a few days. I’ll update once I get it back in the system. Thanks to @jjptkd for turning me on to Nelion, as well as others who offered other repair options.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The amp has been reinstalled, and after several days of listening, I’m happy to report that it is functioning perfectly. It seems that it was in overall good condition, nothing fried or burnt, the problem was apparently with the off-auto-on switch. It’s been gone through, renewed, tested & even has a warranty. Hopefully it will have another twenty years or more of service left in it. If anyone has any Carver gear in need of TLC I’m happy to recommend Greg at Nelion Audio. If any issues arise, I’ll update. Again thanks to all who had recommendations for repair services. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M_Klipsches said:

The amp has been reinstalled, and after several days of listening, I’m happy to report that it is functioning perfectly. It seems that it was in overall good condition, nothing fried or burnt, the problem was apparently with the off-auto-on switch. It’s been gone through, renewed, tested & even has a warranty. Hopefully it will have another twenty years or more of service left in it. If anyone has any Carver gear in need of TLC I’m happy to recommend Greg at Nelion Audio. If any issues arise, I’ll update. Again thanks to all who had recommendations for repair services. 

Great to hear that! Pretty quick turn around too all things considered. 

• Like 1