SOLD Moving Coil SUT

captainbeefheart

This unit uses very rare vintage RCA 12399 transformers with a gain of 14x (+23db) and works excellent for MC carts with an output voltage of .3mV and up. I no longer use MC carts and if I do in the future I have more of these transformers so I can always just make another unit. The unit is configured for a load of 250 ohms to your cart but I can change this to whatever spec you want. I used 250 ohms because with my Dynavector this gave me no losses and also no ringing or any unwanted nastiness. I have seen some carts that prefer a lower load so again the load isn't set in stone just let me know and I'll change it before shipping out.

I was going to make a more fancy chassis with the transformers sticking out the top plugged into sockets before selling but I figured I'd post it as is and then if someone wants a custom chassis we can discuss it. I wanted a small footprint which is why I chose this type of chassis but I have seen other SUT units with this type of transformers and kinda like the look of the transformers outside the chassis, so it's an option for anyone interested.

Nothing compared to these transformers, I have used Altec and many modern types and these by far are just unbelievable and can understand why the price of these have gone through the roof. Here is the only pair I found for sale and they want $650 just for the transformers!!! I was looking at other devices for sale using these specific transformers and they are selling for $800.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/163967138650?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=163967138650&targetid=4580496732614411&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233788&mkgroupid=1230353745471221&rlsatarget=pla-4580496732614411&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291&msclkid=d97149dba07611356b9f2bbd4f185aef

Asking $250

EDIT: I have no idea how to price selling this and don't want to come across as greedy, so I changed the price to include offers and We'll see what happens. There just isn't a large enough online presence to know what it should sell for or the value of the transformers are. I do think $100 per transformer is a very good deal because the price of high quality audio transformers are VERY expensive.

c21c3b481be14433daf46bf059a13e94.jpg

652e9fde80d729c9f9ddd31e1d8e1890.jpg

• Like 2

Here is the style I was contemplating, I can actually make a completely new unit with my extra transformers if anyone is interested that way there I don't have to disassemble the black one in the extruded enclosure. I can also add a switch for different loading options which people may like to experiment with, say 50, 100 and 250 ohms which should cover a wide range of loading options. I have other paint options besides black and can make wooden chassis as well.

sut3.jpeg

• Like 1

I honestly have no idea how to price these things so don't be afraid to throw an offer at me, I am very reasonable and just hate to see fantastic gear sitting in boxes in a closet not getting used. The older I get the more I worry the kids will just throw all in a dumpster when I croak and that would have me rolling over in my grave. I also don't want to get completely taken advantage of and sell of something far lower than it's worth but I understand there needs to be a happy middle ground. My wife gave me a crazy look and said "someone will pay $400 for that thingy? What's it do?"😆   She doesn't get how expensive high quality audio transformers are especially rare vintage ones.

So if anyone thinks I am being unreasonable don't be afraid to PM me about the SUT's, I don't want to price gauge anyone here and only want to be fair. As I said I am only pricing these things from poking around the web for a few minutes.

I'll edit the first post to add in "OBO"

Screw it, my wife triggered the inner voice of my conscience to kick in and so I just changed the price to $250 including shipping. That covers what I paid for the transformers,chassis, and connectors. The wiring inside is all shielded Mogami and not just standard wire giving this extremely quiet operation. I remember when I made it I waved a transformer under load around the outside of the unit and the shielding works very well, nothing bled into the signal.

New price: $250 shipped.

When I get finished making the two custom amps I am working on now I'll build another unit with my spare transformers and sell that one also. Or if any diy'ers are interested in the transformers themselves just send me a PM. I'd hate to see these transformers go to waste as they are really amazing sounding and I know for a fact you cannot touch the quality of them for the price.

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning. Was wondering if your input transformers could help me with my bluetooth dac... I use it exclusively as my entire CD and record collection has been ripped to .flac files. Anyway, as convenient as it is, it doesn't have enough output voltage to drive my amplifier to full output. Am thinking this device could correct this problem. Thank you in advance for your time. 

Best,

James

• 4 months later...