Forte ii Woofer Options

homatose

Hello!  I recently acquired a pair of Forte ii's, and upon listening at somewhat reasonable yet elevated levels discovered that one woofer has a buzz that occurs at certain frequencies.  Gently pressing in the cone alleviates the issue.  To my understanding they've had the Crites tweeter upgrades as well as a recap.

What are one's options here, recone, replace/upgrade both drivers?

You may want to “carefully” remove the passive on the back first and see if they left a wire contacting the woofer when they were “playing around” with the components. I have done this... and I say carefully because I have also created more grief by being in a hurry, sigh.

If the simple fix doesn’t do it we can go form there.

Cheers!

• Like 1

@homatose take out the buzzing woofer and look  at 3 areas   1) the spider 2) the cone  3) the dust cap , you're looking for a dustcap or cone or spider that has come partially unglued , speaker glue  can repair any such minor issues very easily   ,also  check to see if the Voice coil is rubbing by pressing down  on the cone  ,

if the cone is rubbing ( scratching noise when the cone moves up and down ) you're better off to purchase a new K-28  4 Ohms woofer from klipsch  Parts ....100$ each , it's a drop-in replacement for the k-25 Forte II woofer .

• Like 1

Hi @homatose

If Part-Express glue is not available, you can help out with wood glue. Use a glue that is not too liquid and without too much excess in quantity, in any case to prevent the glue from flowing towards the coil of the Loudspeaker. The white glue will become transparent and almost invisible after drying.

good repair 😎

• Like 3

i can't seem to slip anything under the dust cap and can't feel/see anything awry with the spider...  but i didn't remove it entirely.  i'll have to fidget with it further and report back with my findings.

thank you all for advice thus far!

Edited by homatose
thanking everyone

Hi,

Among the avenues to explore: Without music, try gently pushing the cone (not by the dust cap) several times: if it scratches, the coil has burned and the varnish is rubbing the air gap, or the spool holder is deformed and rubbing. If so, the coil or the cone/coil/dust cap assembly will have to be changed.

You can use the Chat here or ask your questions, they will guide you to repair your speaker:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/Klipsch_bymfg_16-0-1.html

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-k-25k-12-aftermarket-recone-kit-for-forte-ii/

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-k-28-e-woofer-part-121225/

https://critesspeakers.com/cw1230-12-inch-4-ohm-woofer.html

Or Klipsch support !

If you need to change, use either 2 repair kits or 2 identical speakers to have the same sound on each speaker.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

Any news?

I removed the woofer and felt behind the cone for any issues, ended up mildly adjusting the wire leads/terminals as I thought they may have been touching on those "bassier" tracks.  i'm not sure it's entirely fixed but the symptoms are minimized, so keeping an eye on it.  we'll see if it's one of those things that drives me crazy enough to replace.