KP-301 crossovers

ArmandCroft

I just picked up a pretty beat up set of KP-301’s. I have completely disassembled them and am sanding/ filling the cabinets to get ready for paint. They have 2 different crossovers. Speaker A has a KP-3.0A crossover while Speaker B has a KP-3.0B crossover. Both speakers have the correct K-79k tweeters and K57-k squawkers. Speaker A has the original K-48k woofer while the other has a JBL E140-8, which I plan on replacing . Does anyone know the difference between these 2 crossovers and if they are compatible and which one is the correct one for this speaker. The serial #s are 90012825 and 8932325 respectively. Thank you in advance for any information. Cheers!

• Like 1

I just finished working on a pair like this. They sound the same to me and both are correct for the 301. I have no idea why the crossover was changed but Klipsch did this with other pro speakers too. I just recapped them according to the values Klipsch used and they are great speakers. Yeah replace that JBL with the right woofer and you won't be disappointed.

22 hours ago, ArmandCroft said:

I just picked up a pretty beat up set of KP-301’s. I have completely disassembled them and am sanding/ filling the cabinets to get ready for paint. They have 2 different crossovers. Speaker A has a KP-3.0A crossover while Speaker B has a KP-3.0B crossover. Both speakers have the correct K-79k tweeters and K57-k squawkers. Speaker A has the original K-48k woofer while the other has a JBL E140-8, which I plan on replacing . Does anyone know the difference between these 2 crossovers and if they are compatible and which one is the correct one for this speaker. The serial #s are 90012825 and 8932325 respectively. Thank you in advance for any information. Cheers!

Pics!!  We need pics! :)

I don't buy kits I buy caps from Parts Express and use either Audyn's or Dayton 1%. I also use the 68uf Audyn's for the woofer and you can see an example of how I attach it. YES I know many of you choose to use that electrolytic cap here but I have seen them fail outright and I also think they do not sound as good + they will not last as long as the poly caps used in the rest of the crossover recap. If the idea of sticking the 68uf cap siliconed and cable tied to the top of the coil bothers you a small piece of wood screwed in next to the crossover board works fine and 16g buss wire and insulated cover works for the extended leads. Good speakers well worth your time.

All the values you need are marked on the existing caps. I stay away from those nylon clips with cable ties now and stick them down with silicone caulk or just reheat that hot melt glue and smush the new caps into that until cool. I had a chance to look at an older board I had recapped with those cable ties and nylon clips a while back and there were dents in the side of the caps from the clips sharp corners. I don't KNOW this hurts the caps but I also know not using clips for that reason can't hurt.

DSC_0031.JPG

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 3:51 PM, ArmandCroft said:

the KP 3.0B  is the right crossover for the KP-301     are both your crossovers on a wooden board ?

1 hour ago, RandyH said:

the KP 3.0B  is the right crossover for the KP-301     are both your crossovers on a wooden board ?

Both of the crossovers the OP mentioned are correct for 301's. I have a set with those two in them right now in my shop. Where are you getting your information?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As stated earlier they sound the same to me side by side so yes. They were both designed for 301's. Your real problem is the JBL woofer which will most likely not have the same characteristics as the K-48. I have seen all kinds of bone headed things done with pro gear. Had a set of LSI's once and when I got into them the K-33 woofers were 15", but the "replacements" were marked Made In Taiwan.  K-42's replaced with speakers marked "Javanco" was another one that comes to mind. That was was pretty funny as Javanco was an electronics surplus store in Nashville but they fit the hole and were cheap and were right there.

@ArmandCroft  I would   update the  3,0A  XO similarly to the 3,0B  , to have a matching set of crossovers   , the 3.0B being the latest revision of the KP-301 XO  , it's the most advanced  design .

I use the KP-3,6A which is used on the KP-301-II and the KP 362-

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/image.jpeg.0db961e32a7ceeea1dd8f7b45aebe1d2.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RandyH said:

@ArmandCroft  I would   update the  3,0A  XO similarly to the 3,0B  , to have a matching set of crossovers   , the 3.0B being the latest revision of the KP-301 XO ,

I use the KP-3,6A which is used on the KP-301-II and the KP 362-

https://community.klipsch.com/uploads/monthly_2020_08/image.jpeg.0db961e32a7ceeea1dd8f7b45aebe1d2.jpeg

Using the crossover for the 301-II would be incorrect here because they use a different mid and tweeter then the 301-I.  OP has correct crossovers and only needs to recap what he has. Assuming that Klipsch made the crossover update to improve them then yes I would build a copy of the 3.0B IF it made a noticeable audible difference. I do not hear a difference on the two in my shop right now with these crossovers. Notice the logo change too. Also see the difference in the grilles with one having expanded metal over to woofer. Both however are correct.DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.669d8f74656312c834d82474ce3bc87c.JPG

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Using the crossover for the 301-II would be incorrect here because they use a different mid and tweeter then the 301-I.   yes I would build a copy of the 3.0B

Dave  , here are the specs of Both the KP-301 and the KP-301-II  , same mid and tweeter .

only difference is the Midrange horn  and the crossover (frequency  ) and 1dB more sensitivity .

KP-301 
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 50Hz - 20kHz±4dB (-10dB @ 39Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic
SENSITIVITY: 101dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic
POWER HANDLING: 400 watts (44.7V)
CALC MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 125dB
COVERAGE ANGLE: 60° Horizontal x 40° Vertical
DIRECTIVITY INDEX (DI): 9dB ±2dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms, 5 ohms minimum @ 230Hz
TRANSDUCERS: One K-792-KP compression driver, one KP-66-E titanium compression driver and one 15" K-48-KP woofer
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 800Hz and 6kHz
INPUT CONNECTIONS: Dual red/black five-way binding posts and dual locking Neutrik® D-shell 0.25" phone plugs
DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 32.625" (82.9cm) x 20.825" (53cm) x 16.825" (42.9cm)
WEIGHT: 82 lbs. (37.2kg)

KP-301 Series II

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 45Hz - 20kHz±4dB (-10dB @ 39Hz) @ 3 meters, 1/2 space anechoic

SENSITIVITY: 102dB @ 2.83V, 1 meter, 1/2 space anechoic

POWER HANDLING: 400 watts (41.5V)

CALC MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 125dB

COVERAGE ANGLE: 60° Horizontal x 40° Vertical

DIRECTIVITY INDEX (DI): 9dB ±2dB

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms, 4.3 ohms minimum @ 1401Hz

TRANSDUCERS: One K-792-KP compression driver, one KP-66-E titanium compression driver and one 15" K-48-KP woofer

CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 650Hz and 7kHz

INPUT CONNECTIONS: Dual red/black five-way binding posts and dual locking Neutrik® Connectors (see pictures)

DIMENSIONS (H x W x D): 32.625" (82.9cm) x 20.825" (53cm) x 16.825" (42.9cm)

WEIGHT: 82 lbs. (37.2kg) EACH