KP-301 crossovers

ArmandCroft

The Duratek showed up today and I was ready being that I was going to gloss black the speakers, so my prep was a little better than was necessary but I'd always rather err on the better side than have it be shabby. After all, the whole reason behind painting something is to have it look better, so if I'm going to spend time improving the aesthetics of something, I'm going to do it right. Anyway, I am very happy with the results. Duratek is pleasure to work with and looks great when applied properly. The boxes looked so nice that all the other stuff looked pretty road worn, so I sanded down the handles to get the gouges out of them. Finished them with 1500 grit and then the polisher with a very light touch because it's pretty soft plastic. I tried to highlight the logo on one of the handles, but wsn't satisfied with the result. I'll try a different method tomorrow. Getting a little closer. I'll post pictures in a separate post. Cheers!

• Like 2

Wow! Got my first hint of what these speakers are capable of last night. A good friend came to visit me and he is a very savvy IT/electrical guy. He helped me out with recapping the KP 3.0B crossover and I finished mounting all the corners, grill mounting hardware, installed the tweeters and squawkers. We gave it a very brief test right before crashing out last night with the woofer outside the box. Wow, unbelievable.

Now, on to finish the mysterious KP 3.0A crossover.... 

With the wisdom, generosity, knowledge and experience of the Klipsch community, we have(almost) successfully put a fairly rare set of speakers back into original (or better) condition during which I have learned a great deal. It is a satisfying and rewarding voyage and I can't wait to button these all the way up and turn them up loud. 

Somewhere, in reference to the KP-301's, I read " the louder you turn them up, the better they sound" and that sent me on a long quest to find a pair. I really enjoy repairing things that are worth repairing. These definitely fit into that category, being well built and intelligently engineered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ArmandCroft said:

Somewhere, in reference to the KP-301's, I read " the louder you turn them up, the better they sound" and that sent me on a long quest to find a pair. I really enjoy repairing things that are worth repairing. These definitely fit into that category, being well built and intelligently engineered. 

They start out strong and don’t loose their coherence like lower order crossovers do as you give them gas. The imaging struck me as well.

You might say the torque and horsepower curves are a coincident straight line, lol

• Like 1

That is a great way to put it Geoff. I’m just finishing up the last little details on these 301’s and have 2 last (hopefully) questions: 1. One of my K-57-K squawkers has no positive or negative markings on it. I imagine it is important to get the phase right, any clues on how to tell? I guess I can pull the horn and put a 9 volt to it and see which way it moves? Also does anyone have a picture of the original grill mounting system used by Klipsch on these speakers? Mine were held on with Sheetrock screws when I got them. I see some matching holes but have no idea what goes in them. Thinking of using magnets or Velcro. Thank you all again for your help. Cheers! A

On 5/18/2022 at 3:45 AM, ArmandCroft said:

Got the grills done and found a vector file online of the Klipsch logo I need. I'll order a few from the folks that do my racing stickers so if anyone needs a few, I'll have extras. Cheers.881252784_KP-301grill.thumb.jpg.548793e9209a6b74766182b63884e625.jpg

there was 1 supplier who could  make these commercial badges

• Like 1

My working pair of 301s has the screws pictured below on four corners. They go into T-nuts on the motorboard. That silvery shine behind the cloth and under the logo is Dave A’s secret weapon, lol. 

My mismatched project pair, sans grilles, each have velcro in six places.

As for the polarity of the driver, I just checked three pairs on the shelf and they ALL have yellow paint of some sort on the positive side.

Check very carefully for some remnant of yellow around one terminal.

890658C6-BF69-4D06-9C55-E3C95BA3E388.jpeg

Ok, I see now what those matching holes were for. I would have liked to countersink magnets but, as is my tendency on Amazon, I bought some that will pick up a toolbox that are 50 cent piece sized and some that are so small that you can’t hold them in your fingers, so Velcro it is for now.

As far as the midrange horns go, no marks except for a weird silver question mark on one of them . I just pulled them apart and tested them with a 9 volt. Now……Let the final assembly begin!

• Like 1

My friend Noah helped me sort the crossovers and did some cleaning up of wiring on the cups as they had been "repaired" or "modified" by someone with rather rudimentary electronics skills. Remounted all components and hooked them up in my lounge. They sound wonderful. Clean, bright and with bass that rattles the room. I will have to order a binding post because as I was moving one of the speakers, I must have hit the edge of the workbench and one post broke at the hole. I look forward to giving them a real listen tomorrow. Once again, I'd like to thank this community for all your support and help in this sonic endeavor.  

• Like 1