KP-301 crossovers

ArmandCroft

Sorry these pictures aren't a bit better but I was so anxious to hear the 301's that I forgot to take final pictures, but I will do so soon. They are simply awesome! Thanks to this great community for all the advice, information, parts and support. I truly am very grateful to have stumbled upon such a knowledgable and generous group of fellow quality sound lovers. I have a feeling this won't be my last restoration but hopefully, with what I have learned building these 301's, I won't have as many questions. I know where to come if I do though. Cheers! Armand Croft

KP-3.0A crossover.jpg

KP-3.0B crossover.jpg

Klipsch KP-301 testing.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ArmandCroft said:

Dave, No I have not. I'm a bit of a Luddite, but considering the quality of your suggestions in my experience, I will definitely look into it. Thank you for all your help.

Happy to help someone who likes to do things with his hands.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ArmandCroft said:

Thanks Dave . These things are absolutely mind blowing. My dream speaker. The harder you push them, the better they sound. Bass may be punchier than my Khorns. I love these 301’s. 

The harder you push them reminds me of an episode here. I had some Nashville musician types show up one day to look at some EAW speakers. Have to admit they boasted of 132spl but sounded like crap. So I show them to these guys and they ask me "what is that over there"? Against the wall was a set of KP-301-1's I had reworked and they were not for sale. So I said "not for sale is what they are".  Well they kept whining until I said "OK I will fire them up for you but they are not for sale". So I plug them up and they want to know how loud they would get. My Crown amp has 200 wpc and the speakers are rated at 200 watts per so I thought OK lets just see what they do. I can always fix them if I blow them up. So I get my hearing protection on and crank them up all the way. They got these goofy grins on their faces and walked up to them and stuck their ears close to the drivers and the grins got bigger. So I dial them back down and they ask how much. Not for sale I said again. So the dude opens his wallet and counts out $100 dollar bills until I could not say no. They took them for their band and were thrilled to get them.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

they want to know how loud they would get. My Crown amp has 200 wpc and the speakers are rated at 200 watts per so I thought OK lets just see what they do. I can always fix them if I blow them up. So I get my hearing protection on and crank them up all the way. They got these goofy grins on their faces and walked up to them and stuck their ears close to the drivers and the grins got bigger. So I dial them back down and they ask how much. Not for sale I said again. So the dude opens his wallet and counts out $100 dollar bills until I could not say no. They took them for their band and were thrilled to get them.

I cannot imagine. I'm running an old Marantz 2230 with only 30wpc with my 301's and you could rattle your fillings with that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArmandCroft said:

Agreed. These KPs can get painfully loud with my little Denon 2400 so I can imagine how loud they would go with a proper amp.

95 wpc in Stereo mode 8Ohms is  not bad

• Like 1

When I fired up the KP-301s on my, new to me, Emotiva XPA2 with 300 watts a side the increase in bass was staggering compared to the previous NAD C272 with a respectable 150 honest watts per side.

Baby, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, geoff. said:

When I fired up the KP-301s on my, new to me, Emotiva XPA2 with 300 watts a side the increase in bass was staggering compared to the previous NAD C272 with a respectable 150 honest watts per side.

Baby, you ain’t seen nothing yet!

The k-48's are absolute beasts-- they will tear a room apart if properly driven but they can also put out satisfying bass even at the lowest volumes with minimal watts which is why almost all of my speakers are centered around that woofer. I think you may be surprised at how well my Carver 25 watt tube amp drives my 396's. 

• Like 2

I am loving these things more and more each day. They do so well across all types of music and at all volumes. I am so glad  I spent the time to make them right. The only thing I didn't do properly was the XLR jacks. My decision was based on the fact that somebody had hacked up the wiring pretty badly and one speaker had a Speakon connector added in the back, not factory I assume, and in the interest of trying them out before adding more variables, I buttoned them up. I now regret not ordering the proper XLR jacks and incorporating them into the speaker as I'd like to try them out as PA speakers although I've become pretty protective of them and am not sure I'd want to unleash the fury of a beer fueled crowd on these babies. I will probably order the parts and put the XLR jacks in in the near future. Thanks to the members of this community for helping me get them restored (almost) properly. They are a true sonic game changer. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nickyboy6100 said:

You would be better off installing Speakon connectors or just good binding posts. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of XLR connectors on a speaker. 

I have seen some old Brand X stage speakers with factory installed XLR and 1/4" phone plugs but I agree that Speakon or banana jack binding posts are better on a loudspeaker cabinet.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArmandCroft said:

peaker as I'd like to try them out as PA speakers although I've become pretty protective of them and am not sure I'd want to unleash the fury of a beer fueled crowd on these babies

As long as you have good grilles and keep the drunken hands OFF your amp you should be OK. Now if the DJ gets drunk and lets the crowd talk him into louder and louder he will get what he deserves.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...