production date on my K Horns

Zappa Freak

The letter N is the date code.  N = 1975

K-C-BR means Klipschorn -Type C collar - Birch Raw

Other:  Type AA crossover, K-55V CD (compression driver) and K-77 CD tweeter.  All good stuff, your Khorns should sound great.

+++

1962-1983 Letter format

A=62

B=63

C=64

D=65

E=66

F=67

G=68

H=69

I=70

J=71

K=72

L=73

M=74

N=75

O=NONE

P=76

Q=NONE

R=77
S=78

T=79
U=80

V=NONE
W=81

X=82
Y=83

+++

• Like 1

My parents took me to see Zappa and the Mothers of Invention in 1969 at Filmore East and again at Carnegie Hall.  I was ten years old and remember it vividly. My mom brought her knitting, my dad wore suit and tie. We were surounded by freaky twenty something's smoking pot. The opening acts at Filmore were Chicago and Buddy Miles.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s I saw Frank and the Mothers twice in Toronto, once at Massey Hall (seats 3,000) and once at Maple Leaf Gardens (seated 26,000), and it was a great show both times.  At the Gardens show, a fight broke out in the standing crowd in front of the stage.  Frank held up his arm and stopped the band in mid-bar, and said “Stop!  If you’re fighting, there will be no music.  Get it together!”

And he stood there at the front of the stage, while 26,000 people watched to see what would happen next.  In less than a minute, it got sorted.  I was too far away to see exactly what happened, whether Security moved in or what, but once Frank was satisfied, he raised his arm again, and the band started back up, in mid-bar!  That was a tight band, and the year would have been around 1975.  The Massey Hall show was in ‘72 or so.

Around 2012 or so, Dweezil Zappa came here to Victoria (west of the West Coast, south of the US border), doing his Zappa Plays Zappa tour.  The venue was the McPherson Theatre (seats 2600), and there was a door prize:  a Hagstrom electric guitar.  First, Dweezil.  The man is a guitar master.  He played without a single error all night, something I’ve rarely seen.  He’s heard Frank’s music all his life, of course, but he does play very well.  Second, he’s a really nice guy, and the band is not scared of him, unlike how the Mothers appeared to be always right on their toes with Frank, ready to jump if Frank said “Jump!”.

So, the door prize.  About half-way through the show, Dweezil announces the number of the winning ticket, and some guy from the balcony was the winner.  He made his way to the stage and Dweezil gave him the guitar and asked, “Do you play?”  When the guy said No, looking a bit embarrassed, Dweezil said, “Tonight you do.”, in a very friendly way.  He showed the guy the finger positions for a certain chord, and told him to keep that position and start strumming.  And keep strumming.  He did, and the band joined in.  It was magical!  They did a song together, and the guy looked to be keeping a death grip on that chord.  I don’t remember the song, but after it ended Dweezil sent the guy backstage, grinning from ear to ear. After the show, I saw him in the lobby, and he showed me, and everyone around, the autographed guitar and autographed hard case.  He was thrilled.  I don’t think it gets cooler than that.

Dweezil played here again a couple of years later, this time in a large nightclub, and it was just as good.  The volume was just right (earplugs could be halfway out, and that was comfortable, unlike most other REALLY LOUD rock shows), and after the show, the sound man gave me a copy of the set list.  Since it was a club, not a music hall, everyone didn’t head for the doors right away, and I was wandering around, when I noticed that Dweezil and the whole band were at a portable table in a smaller room, there to meet the fans.  The line was around 100-120 people long, and when I made it to the table, Dweezil and all the band members were happy to sign my set list.  That was a pretty fine souvenir, and Dweezil is as cool as his dad, but in a different way.

• Thanks 1