Ferrofluid when replacing K-79-K diaphragms with Crites titaniums?

I searched the forums and couldn’t find an answer. I’m replacing the diaphragms in my K-79-K s out of a pair of KP-301 s I’m working on. From what I have gathered, the K-79-K is a K-75 with ferrofluid cooling. I have a new set of Crites titanium diaphragms but am unsure if I should get some ferrofluid before starting the installation and, if so, are there different types, and  lastly, which type should I use and where can I get it?                   Thanks in advance. Cheers!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ArmandCroft said:

I’m replacing the diaphragms in my K-79-K s out of a pair of KP-301 s I’m working on. From what I have gathered, the K-79-K is a K-75 with ferrofluid cooling.

The k-79 has a different gap setting in the magnet than the k-75 giving it higher sensitivity.

"To insure proper function after repair, clean all the old ferrofluid out, re-fill from the pre-measured squeeze package for your driver, replace diaphragm."

https://www.parts-express.com/Ferrofluid-100uL-General-Purpose-for-1-Diameter-V.C.-340-540

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I recently got my C2's to their home and will go through them in the near future.

Did you end up replacing the ferro fluid? Did you notice a difference or did you not use them prior to the re-fill?

So many options to think through...

Thanks

• Like 1

10 hours ago, parlophone1 said:

How exactly to know if the ferofluid needs to be replaced?

From what I've read, it dries up over time. That's all I know. 

25 minutes ago, amped said:

From what I've read, it dries up over time. That's all I know. 

Have read about leaking over time. If you find any fluid in the cabinet, only when such time as you have occasion to break the seal. Think leaking is abit rare. How do the speakers sound?

Thanks!

On 4/30/2022 at 1:01 AM, ArmandCroft said:

I searched the forums and couldn’t find an answer. I’m replacing the diaphragms in my K-79-K s out of a pair of KP-301 s I’m working on. From what I have gathered, the K-79-K is a K-75 with ferrofluid cooling. I have a new set of Crites titanium diaphragms but am unsure if I should get some ferrofluid before starting the installation and, if so, are there different types, and  lastly, which type should I use and where can I get it?                   Thanks in advance. Cheers!

klipsch Diaphragms were designed to allow for Ferro-Fluid in the VC without  leaking out or causing a mess inside the speaker , and klipsch even used a  specific FF   

but you did not buy klipsch parts ,  and they may not be designed for FF  , so be careful cause all clones share 0 with the klipsch design .

clones? weren't crites TI tweeters around long before the klipsch TI tweeters that you speak of.  crites had his made to his specs that are on par with klipsch diaphragms.  again, klipsch doesnt make any of their own drivers so technically they are all "aftermarket". 

Posted (edited)

Didn't mean to start another who's parts are best fight.  Maybe this should be in another thread?

I reiterate, my new to me C2's are from 1994. I have read that the magnetic ferro fluid can dry up over time. I have not been inside my speakers nor does it look like anyone else has. Assuming all parts in my Chorus 2's are stock, is there a benefit to cleaning and adding fluid back into the K79k's? AFIK, the diaphragms are stock, not Crites or JEM.

If you've done this, please post your findings.

Thank you

Edited by amped
titanium
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, amped said:

the diaphragms are stock,

FF  dries and hardens over 10-20 years while remaining magnetic which is negative for your  diaphragms .your k-79  may have the Mylar black diaphragm ( FF only ), these sound fantastic .gently separate the magnet from the diaphragm  ,  remove the old FF , if you see the FF is very liquid , someone  may have done the work already .

• Thanks 1