Sticky KMC1 Case

rlprlp

Hello. I just joined today to ask this question. I have a KMC1 that I have owned for several years now. (I really don't remember... maybe close to 10 years or so?) The housing is made of a rubber-like substance, and I don't know if it is degrading or what, but it has become really sticky. To give you an idea, it is about as sticky as those lint rollers you use on your clothes. I do mean REALLY sticky! It has gotten to the point where it is unpleasant to handle. Dirt and dust stick to it, and it looks terrible. I haave tried different cleaners with no luck. I am at the point where I am just going to throw it away if I can't find a way to clean it up.

Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, and have a solution?

Thank you for any replies.

Edited by rlprlp

A quick web search gives a few solutions to try.  I'm not sure if these are among the cleaners that you have already tried.  The most common is to use a cloth with rubbing alcohol or pre-moistened alcohol pads to clean the surface.  Others recommend ammonia/Windex or a baking soda paste.  If you find anything that works well, let us know.  I'll need to know when my KMC-1 starts to get sticky.  🙂 

Thanks for the ideas.  I've tried alcohol and Windex with no luck. I haven't tried baking soda yet, but I don't have any on hand at the moment. Will have to wait until next weekend when I go shopping, but I am willing to give it a try.  Thanks again. (Just noticed I mistyped it as "KCM1". I edited it.)

Edited by rlprlp
  • Like 1

Thank you for all of the suggestions, but nothing has worked.  This thing wasn't cheap, but I just can't stand it like this. I'm throwing it away, and am going to start shopping for a replacement. Thank you again, everyone!

I don't want anyone wasting their time, so: I am considering this topic closed, and will not be returning to check for additional comments.

Edited by rlprlp

1 minute ago, rlprlp said:

Thank you for all of the suggestions, but nothing has worked.  This thing wasn't cheap, but I just can't stand it like this. I'm throwing it away, and am going to start shopping for a replacement. Thank you again, everyone!

Forgot to suggest freezing it last time... alright.

• 1 year later...

methyl hydrate (lock de-icer) Canajun eh! worked very well for me. A "touch" of mineral oil when done for shine.

Suntan lotion and bug spray on yer hands makes the "factory" coating like glue.

Also the control buttons are kinda like a cell phone as in touch only. Gotta be clean!!

The factory goop just makes it a terrible "cain't do chit" mess!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, lennybubs said:

methyl hydrate (lock de-icer) Canajun eh! worked very well for me. A "touch" of mineral oil when done for shine.

Suntan lotion and bug spray on yer hands makes the "factory" coating like glue.

Also the control buttons are kinda like a cell phone as in touch only. Gotta be clean!!

The factory goop just makes it a terrible "cain't do chit" mess!

Thanks for that fix discovery, makes sense... @lennybubs.

Welcome!

We've had several devices with a rubbery coating at work, certain brand of laptops, small hotspots (allows data connection between laptop and cell network - verizon, att, etc). All of them became a sticky mess.

I have used Goo Gone, but you still have to work at it.

20230620_102051~2.jpg