Historical question

Tom Adams

I'm curious about a couple of things:

1. A lot has been said about the Cornwall's sound - both now as well as in the past. Since this speaker was part of what has now become the Heritage line, why was it the only "heritage" speaker to be dropped from production?

2. When did the current Klipsch logo come to be used and why (i.e. why was 'PWK' dropped from the logo).

Tom Adams

in a nutshell, sounds like klipsch dropped the corn due to it's relative big size in favor of the more mainstream streamline designs in that price category.

but the khorn isn't a streamline design by a long shot. so my take is they reallocated their resources for the greater commercial appeal of the legend & reference lines. nothing bad there from a business standpoint,

but not so good for the audiophile.

don't know on that PWK thang.

When the Cornwall was dropped from production, there was no Klipsch product other than what are now termed Heritage models. The Klispch Chorus (and Forte and Quartet) came to market and the sales of Cornwall dropped substantially. Chorus was a more acceptable size and shape.

Tfirst obvious omission of the PWK initials on "Heritage Product" occurred in the mid-70's. However, there were entire product lines in the 50's (Rebel series) that never contained the initials. The initials (with backwards "P") were used by Paul soon after he graduated high school, although not used on the earliest Klipschorns. Actually the backwards "P" was suggested by a jeweler when Paul was getting his high school graduation watch engraved!

Basically the logo issue has been "all over the map". It's one of those mystical marketing things, not to be understood via logic.

sorry i meant to say or imply that the legend

or reference line is the end result of what we have available (& the new ref in june).

kinda like having the corn as a sought after collector's item (besides the great sound).

not knocking klipsch at all for the business decision & especially since I got em in time biggrin.gif

Thanks boa12 & BobG. With the recent resurgence in HT and audio in general, one has to wonder if the same marketing demographics that led to the cancellation of the Cornwall and what it delivers, would hold true today (rhetorical question). Interesting......

I'm also fascinated about the "mystical" logo - especially after BobG's response. My 1978 model Heresy's have the "PWK" Klipsch logo and I just assumed there was my version and the new one we see displayed on this site. Once again, interesting.....

Tom Adams

<meant to post this sooner>

Wow edster00 - my Heresy's are a 'T' series (1979) so they were made just two years after yours and mine has the PWK logo followed by 'KLIPSCH' on a copper colored plaque. I wonder when the logo changed...1978 or 1979?

Interesting.....

Tom Adams

The cornwall was dropped mainly due to,,EV dropping production of some of the components, Also the 15 inch woofers, the company that made them discontinued Klipsch, as making the 15inch woofer!

That would be Emenence, at the end of 1980!!

Now thats what i heard!!, so if anyone knows something else, please email me at jcor929111@aol.com!

I own 2 pair of cornwalls, both 1980, one pair with the type A crossover, the other with the type B3!

So as you can see, i also need answers!!

Regards Jim