Cornwall 3 vs Cornwall 4 impression

1 hour ago, henry4841 said:

And this thread goes on and on. There has not been built a bad Cornwall speaker, period. As far as 4 sounding better, one would hope so after decades of being offered. Progress marches on. But this is what we do on forums. Mine is better than yours!

Well.. This was not the intention of this topic. I had hoped to start a more informative topic for those who were looking for information about the CW4 and especially the comparison between the CW4 and its predecessors. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Ludwig Boltzmann would draw exactly this conclusion if he could see my home office.

Ha! You'll have to send a pic. The only equilibrium I have reached is spreading everything out in my basement so I can easily find an item. After our move, it is slowly getting organized, but not fast enough. 

19 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

Well.. This was not the intention of this topic. I had hoped to start a more informative topic for those who were looking for information about the CW4 and especially the comparison between the CW4 and its predecessors. 

I really liked the way it all started. I don't own Cornwalls and probably never will, but enjoyed reading your thoughts and about the process you've gone through. This is why I come here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

Just thought I would add for those saying the Heritage line is overpriced. The Heritage line is not for the masses but for audiophiles wanting the best sound. Much like any high end audio gear. If one wants the best you have to pay the price. It really is that simple. 

Let's discuss the realities of product pricing for a moment. (This has been discussed before, but it bears repeating.)

It is a simple fact of life that the retail price for goods like loudspeakers and consumer electronics generally has to be between 5x and 10x the BOM (bill of materials) cost for the product to be commercially viable. That means a $6600 pair of Cornwall IV contains between $660 and $1320 worth of components and materials. The total cost of six drivers, four horns, two balancing networks (each with six inductors, six capacitors, and various other pieces and parts), MDF and/or wood for two cabinets, veneer, glue, fasteners, etc., has to total somewhere between $660 and $1320. That's not a lot to work with for a premium product.

Could you build them yourself for less than $6600? Of course. Do you have the knowhow? And the skill?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Edgar said:

Could you build them yourself for less than $6600? Of course. Do you have the knowhow? And the skill?

I like your break-down.  ..And don't forget the cost of development, inc. the salaries of engineers, staff, craftsmen, etc...

People who know I'm in Pharma often say, "The cost of an inhaler is outrageous!  It's just a ubiquitous plastic pump dispenser filled a few cents worth of medicine."

Yeah, well... Add to that the cost phase 1 lab development, phase 2 & 3 trials clinical trials in multiple locations throughout the world (often involving thousands of people ea. needing to be compensated) AND the costs of other drugs the company had moved through clinical trials only to fail to meet end-points.   These failed drug costs can become of their break-even going forward.

Another ex..,  A VW has maybe $2000 worth of metal, plastic, etc...   ...But just try designing, engineering, and manufacturing one in your garage for the price.

• Like 1

Just now, ODS123 said:

Yeah, well... Add to that the cost phase 1 lab development, phase 2 & 3 trials clinical trials in multiple locations throughout the world (often involving thousands of people ea. needing to be compensated) AND the costs of other drugs the company had moved through clinical trials only to fail to meet end-points.  

Not to mention the cost of liability judgments, should side-effects be discovered twenty years down the road.

it's traditionally always been MUCH CHEAPER to copy something than it is to theorize, test, refine and develop something from a blank page.

IN ADDITION, the constant fractionalization of the US dollar doesn't help with  control of and the purchasing power of...  therefore resulting in rising costs/profit mechanisms.

I think that a $5000-$15000 high performance speaker is not really all that expensive in relative terms for that market. If it is for a person, then the speaker is not for you... never sacrifice your livelihood for a pastime.

• Like 3

For years , we’ve  heard the complaints about how companies in the  US  have moved there manufacturing operations  offshore ,  many  people nowadays talk of the desire to bring some of this factory production  back home.  Well  Klipsch never stoped building their  heritage line of speakers in the US.  Klipsch is a survivor, it has survived in this super competitive world economy , and they should be commended. The product that they put out today from US production , is absolutely high quality and gorgeous, the sound quality is arguably second to none , and the uniqueness of the products ? Who else is making consumer, horn loaded loudspeakers? These products are definitely worth the price. As they say , price is what the market will bear , and I don't think that the consumer is balking.

• Like 6

On 5/6/2022 at 1:09 PM, mikebse2a3 said:

It’s not panel resonance you hear…. think more like acoustical standing wave resonance that is suppressed in the new design. 

miketn

You figure that is partly what the shroud around the tweeter is meant to do?

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

You figure that is partly what the shroud around the tweeter is meant to do?

Think of the Loudspeaker Cabinet Box just like a Rectangular Listening Room. They both will have Acoustical Standing Wave Resonate Modes with high/low pressure zones that result in the coloration of the sound reproduction at parts of the frequency spectrum where they develop. For the worst offending ones we have a few options to minimize there development strengths and two of those options Source Location (placement) in the enclosed space and Bass Traps/ Helmholtz Resonators placed in the proper locations.

miketn

Here is another manufactures method of dealing with the problem; see attached white paper also..!

Concept500_white_paper.pdf

IMG_1946.thumb.jpg.ed05c08be36e10e21b620728c5f9a280.jpg

IMG_1945.thumb.jpg.8c39634372dbd1adbe3264dc9190e9b3.jpg

Just a quick impression of how the speakers are performing now after a week. 

I let it play for 48 hours this weekend so a total of 110+ hours break in.  What I notice about the sound is that the bass is slightly more present.  I know a few songs through and through and I can use them very well as a reference.

I don't notice much difference in sound so far, apart from a little more bass, it seems to me they sound exactly the same. And that means they sound good, But for me no audible differences after 110+ break in time apart from a little more bass

I did make a short comparison with the Chorus 1 and the Cornwall 4. Since the Chorus 1 is still in the corner of the living room for the time being, it was relatively easy to reconnect them.  Nice to hear the differences, but certainly not a day and night difference.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Flevoman said:

I did make a short comparison with the Chorus 1 and the Cornwall 4. Since the Chorus 1 is still in the corner of the living room for the time being, it was relatively easy to reconnect them.  Nice to hear the differences, but certainly not a day and night difference.

Please post pictures of your setup to help us understand the conditions you are doing the comparisons under otherwise it is really hard to offer suggestions if that is what you would like from members trying to help you.

Also if you have other unused loudspeakers near the Main ones you are listening too its generally a good idea to remove them or at least either short out their input connections if not still connected to an amplifier (or if they are connected to an amplifier make sure it is turned on and volume turned all the way down). The helps to reduce them from acting like Helmholtz Resonators and interfering with the Main Loudspeaker your listening to. 

miketn🙂

• Like 1

Sure... But it was a short comparison, Not done in an audiophile perfect  correct way. I played 8 different songs in total. After the song was complete I switched from speakers, then the first speaker set is completely pushed aside and the other set placed in exactly the same place. 

Reconnect the cables to the new speakerset, and listen. 

On the picture you can see where the CW4 is placed. This was the position for both speakersets. 

But it was just a message, not a question for help 

20220508_191423.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jjptkd said:

How do the Chorus stack up against the Cornwall IV? Apologize if you covered that already thanks.

This was a quick and first impression.

If someone is bathed in a serious comparison, let me know. It's going to take me some time but I'll do that in a weekend. 

They are more similar to each other than different. 

If I ask my girlfriend blindfolded to pick the latest speaker (CW4) she would have no idea. 

What I did hear was that the Chorus had slightly more bass (I was surprised) but also a more pleasing bass. More punch/tight. Difference was slightly but noticeable. With the mids the CW4 was more neutral. More easy to listen. Chorus was slightly sounding like a horn (again, slightly..) and could be with some songs a bit sharp with the midhorn. With a dull sounding song this could give the song some more bite, what was more pleasing for me. But other songs could sound a bit to sharp. I can understand that some like the mids from the CW4 better with these songs . I had the feeling that the CW4 was better with creating a soundstage, more was happening between the speakers (would have to check this better to be sure) For me the Chorus won with the bass, the CW4 with his midhorn... But again, They were very similar as speakers, certainly no day and night difference, and surtenly not " the CW4 smokes the Cornwall", etc 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2