Low frequency extension

Moh

It appears to me that Klipsch RP5000Fb  has a better low frequency extension compared to other manufacturers that use similar sized drivers. How does Klipsh achieve this? 

Is it the materials used, crossovers, horn tweeter or something else? Does it really make any difference when listening to music.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Anytime I can get away from having to use more power to drive my speakers (Klipsch) to whatever SPL, and rating of effeciency effortlessly, feel that I am ahead of the game.

Yes Gary is definitely a world of good  information.

Having an anechoic chamber like Klipsch has in the real world helps with design and 

low frequency bass extension as per ratings. The 3 db typically - or + is a measurement of bass extension per SPL.

Thanks!

When listening to music..does low frequency extention matter or only in movies.. Does content in music go down very low?

That is.. when listening to music, does it matter much. In direct mode on yamaha, full signal is sent to speakers and none to sub and I like this mode.

Edited by Moh
  • Like 1

Sealed systems can be EQ'd very low with good design.  Bag End InfraSub 18 goes to 8 Hz, limited by cone excursion.

Vented systems have 3dB more output down to box tuning frequency.  30 Hz includes 99% of musical frequencies.

20cycles.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, Moh said:

When listening to music..does low frequency extention matter or only in movies.. Does content in music go down very low?

That is.. when listening to music, does it matter much. In direct mode on yamaha, full signal is sent to speakers and none to sub and I like this mode.

Right now, I’m listening to Radio Paradise on Net Radio, with the Yamaha RX-A2060 AVR set to Pure Direct.  I don’t listen in that mode very often, precisely because it does cut off the subwoofers.  However, it’s 4 am right now, and I don’t want to disturb anyone with any throbbing bass notes from Jethro Tull, so that’s the setting I’m using.

In theory, Pure Direct should sound a bit better, because it cuts off everything that’s not needed for 2-channel reproduction, including any circuits that would be used for video, or any other extraneous purposes.  It even cuts off the display, which may contribute a tiny bit of electronic noise to the sound, but I can’t see which artist is playing which song.  Most of the time, I listen in Straight mode, which bypasses any sound processing circuits, so it should sound almost equally fine, with the addition of the subwoofers, which let me hear all of the music, including the bottom couple of octaves.  Perhaps with speakers that are truly full-range, it wouldn’t make much difference, but the La Scalas, although they have really good mid-bass sound, don’t have much happening right at the bottom, so I find the subs to be essential for accurate music listening.

That said, accurate music listening is not always what’s wanted.  For background music, the sound is more suitable with the subs off, because it’s less intrusive.  At medium volume, when the music is the reason I’m there, not the conversation, the subs are definitely on.  Naturally, when I’m listening at higher volume to get THE LIVE MUSIC EXPERIENCE, the subs are on, too.

So that’s three different situations, one with the sub(s) off, two with it(them) on.  That’s what works for me.  What works for you is equally valid, whatever it may be.  Stereo/hi-fi/home theatre systems are entertainment machines, and that’s their purpose.  What sounds best to you is what’s right for you.

When watching a movie, the action on the screen is why you’re there, not any conversation, so if anyone in the room asks you to turn down the volume so you can hear them talking, they should go to another room, and talk to you after the movie, otherwise your time and theirs will be wasted.  BTW, for movie viewing, the volume level that I find best is when the actors seem to be conversing at a typical conversational level.  With that setting, all the other movie sounds will have their correct level.  A quiet scene will be quiet, but if our hero wanders into a dance club for a few minutes, it will sound like you’re in there with him or her.  Gunshots and explosions will be very loud, as the director intended.

However, if the very loud sounds are too loud, and when you turn down the volume you find you can’t hear the actors speaking, you may need to reduce the dynamic range in your receiver’s settings.  Depending on the year and model, it could be under Adaptive DRC, or Night Mode, YPAO Volume, or something similar.  Some of these settings and their names are not at all intuitive, so if you’re not finding what you need, give Yamaha Customer Service a call, and ask for Tech Support to be connected with someone who will be happy to run through the settings with you.  Don’t be shy.  I’ve been using Yamaha receivers since 1974, and I thought I should know it all by now.  Not quite.  With my current 2016 model, and the 2005 model before it, there was something that I needed to have clarified for me, and learning it increased my enjoyment of the receivers.

As for how low do the notes go in music, a common rule of thumb for popular music is that the lowest note on a 4-string bass guitar is at 40 Hz, while a 5-string bass guitar’s lowest note is at 30 Hz.  Accordingly, if your speakers roll off at 50 Hz, or even higher, those lowest notes will be out of reach for your speakers and you won’t be able to hear all of the music.  Keep in mind that some kinds of music, like acoustic folk, don’t go that low anyway.  Not all music does.

With many movies, though, especially action movies, there will be quite a few low-frequency sounds, so you will definitely need to use your subwoofer to get the full experience of the movie.  Do what sounds right to you, and you should be happy.

i hope this is helpful.

• Like 2