Is this a sound absorbing element in my new house?!

bpplaysguitar

Hey all,

I'm buying a new house, and it's a very open house where I could imagine sound travel would be a real concern. I'm wondering if this big wood piece against the back half wall with about 8 inches of open space behind it does anything for acoustics, or if it's just some sort of art or design element. Strange but kind of cool thing to find in a house. It will stay either way, I'm just curious if there's any function to it.

8df84219204d2c05f8a4fb2990f1d684-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

3d4dcd798d8cceb2aaec3d1ea4b3f957-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.jpg

2 hours ago, bpplaysguitar said:

I'm wondering if this big wood piece against the back half wall with about 8 inches of open space behind it does anything for acoustics, or if it's just some sort of art or design element

Mostly a visual design element, but probably causes some diffusion by being there. No reason to remove the panel if you like it.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I would pack the back of it with Roxul 80 or something similar. Roxul Safe n' Sound is more widely available but not as dense (not as effective for low frequency absorption, but probably adequate to provide some improvement).

It will provide some low frequency damping, while the hard frontal surface still retains reflective properties at higher frequencies.

• 1 year later...

It's great to hear that you're exploring the unique features of your new house, even if the thread is a couple of years old. Those architectural elements can add character and functionality to your living space. If you ever decide to make changes or improvements to your home, it's a good idea to consult with professionals who can offer guidance.Speaking of homeownership, if you're in Bolton and considering mortgage-related decisions or looking for mortgage options, you can reach out to a Mortgage Broker in Bolton. They can provide up-to-date information and assistance based on your current circumstances.

Edited by JaydanHood