Heresy-Forte-Cornwall ... Why such a price gap

TAliyev

11 minutes ago, TAliyev said:

I am not here to advertise my home :)

Not interested in buying your home but “A picture is like a thousand words”….. 🙂

What I too often see is a member comes on the forum wanting to share their thoughts/impressions and without anyone here having a real context of their setup (which is just as important as the speakers they are using). Then everyone here starts guessing why the person is hearing what they do and guessing what the problems and solutions might be all from no real context of the systems setup and room conditions.

Anyway I hope you find the sound your looking for.. 🙂

miketn

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

What I too often see is a member comes on the forum wanting to share their thoughts/impressions and without anyone here having a real context of their setup (which is just as important as the speakers they are using). Then everyone here starts guessing why the person is hearing what they do and guessing what the problems and solutions might be all from no real context of the systems setup and room conditions.

Certainly agree with this.  Reflective surfaces such as windows, floors, etc. along with other environmental issues and placement can significantly alter your sound quality.

• Like 2

My initial post/question was about the reasoning behind a price gap difference between H/F/C. Then, while understanding that I will be paying a significant premium for wood and air, I still went and bought CW4s.... This got to tell you a lot about my mental capacity and ability to resist "big toy" impulses.... :) ... It is hard to believe that I am still married to my first wife and have kids  beyond their college ages...

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, TAliyev said:

Still my CW4s have not been broken-in yet...

It's your ears, or maybe your conscience, that haven't broken-in yet, not the speakers....

imho, break-in time is a myth that needs to go away...

Audio companies know the break-in claim is nonsense but allow it to persist b/c it reduces the amount of gear that is returned b/c it failed to live up to expectations that were often set by wildly glowing reviews, online group-think, etc..  Some companies (not necessarily Klipsch) know if they specify a long-enough break-in time, people will simply grow accustomed to their latest purchase and become resigned to keeping it.  Or maybe they'll go back and reread the glowing reviews and will simply convince themselves.

Do you really think PWK would support the idea of an hours long break-in period??  Of course not.  ..Nor did Bob Crites. ..In fact he said it took a mere few minutes.

If break-in truly made the difference b/w speakers sounding "meh.." and "wow!!!!" then the mfg would surely find a way to break them in before boxing them up and shipping them.

Just relax.  Your CW4's are awesome speakers.  ..enjoy them.  It's your conscience that's giving you a little buyer's remorse.  ..But you only live once. Once you're resigned to having spent the money your conscience will ease and you'll begin to enjoy your fantastic speakers.  ..But it's your conscience that is "breaking-in", not the speakers :) 

• Like 2

I recently let go of some large Klipsch, and have temporarily hooked up my Heresy IIs in their place. Not happy with them at all. But I went from dual fifteen inch woofers in horns on each side back to 12 inch direct radiators. Still, after a few weeks I moved the Heresy IIs about 2 feet further apart and they sound much better. Just don't give up on the Corns. Fiddle with placement... a little change can make a huge difference.

And welcome toe the forums.

• Like 2

My fellows audio enthusiasts, 

Thank you for your welcoming words, support, opinions and recommendations.  We all have our experiences, viewpoints and ideas, and it is wonderful to have a place where we can share those with each other.

I absolutely intend to enjoy those speakers no matter what I may think of them. Will try to keep you informed about my experiences and evolved opinions about my new toys once I accumulate enough of those :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi

Compared to your previous remarks, even if it is air, unfortunately the volume is paid at a high price, because there is wood / glue / stain, storage, handling, packaging, transport ... and its parts cost very dear. But also what is also certain is that the more air there is, the better the loudspeaker, look at the Heritage range: Jubilee is huge
If you are interested in seeing the interior of H4 F4 and C4, here are some videos of Paducah Home Theater TV!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ODS123 said:

It's your ears, or maybe your conscience, that haven't broken-in yet, not the speakers....

imho, break-in time is a myth that needs to go away...

..But it's your conscience that is "breaking-in", not the speakers :) 

Whatever it may be there is certainly some "settling in" time whether its in our minds or the speakers / equipment itself our impressions of said item can and often do change over the course of several days. I've just experienced this with my new custom 396's which sounded very "dark" after switching from my custom 335's which tend to be on the brighter side. After a couple of days though they've normalized in presentation now all of the parts in my build were new so was it "break in" or my ears adjusting? Does it matter? 

Congrats OP on the new Cornwall IV's I have no doubt they are fine speakers. One thing to keep in mind is not just break in or placement but also equipment matching can have pretty dramatic changes on your listening experience including the size of image / voices soundstage etc. 

Not sure about the rest of the distinguished members of this forum, but in my personal universe speakers' break-in exist...and is audibly detectable and proven.... But that is just in my universe.... The multiverse is endless...

Cronwalls have been playing nonstop for about 48 hours now...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TAliyev said:

Not sure about the rest of the distinguished members of this forum, but in my personal universe speakers' break-in exist...and is audibly detectable and proven.... But that is just in my universe.... The multiverse is endless...

Cronwalls have been playing nonstop for about 48 hours now...

Here's what Bob Crites said about break-in...  

"Q:  How about break in time for drivers or new driver diaphragms?

A:  Yes, and depends on the size of the driver.  Tweeter diaphragm probably break-in at a matter of seconds.  They are very low mass and move very little, so any break in would happen almost instantly.  Probably happened when the factory tested the diaphragm after manufacture.

Midrange are a bit bigger and have a bit more mass.  Break-in is probably on the order of minutes with these.

Woofers would take the longest.  I think that break-in on a 12 to 15 inch woofer would be less than an hour played at pretty good volume using music with a lot of low frequency content."

As I said, if "break-in" would make the difference b/w a speaker sounding "just okay" and "fantastic!"   ..Then Klipsch surely would have done this during the manufacturing process.

Unless you're using an amp that is so underpowered that it's driven into distortion (nearly impossible) speaker placement and room acoustics are your go-to's.  Otherwise, you're just not a fan of how they sound.  ..And there's no shame in that.  ..Sell them and find something that better suits your tastes.

I do not care for idols, false gods or prophets..  We all have our opinions..... I am expressing my own observations and experiences, and somebody else's believes are not going to change what I see or hear.... 

The speakers are afflicted by the same plague as amps and dacs...electronics/capacitors inside... It takes time for those to chemically settle under the electrical current and temperature caused by it's flow.  Also, the wood needs to acclimate to the local humidity, which affects resonance and vibration characteristics... 

I pushed speakers further apart and tilted them a bit more up by about another degree or two. Tweeter centers are about 10.5 feet apart now. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TAliyev said:

The speakers are afflicted by the same plague as amps and dacs...electronics/capacitors inside... It takes time for those to chemically settle under the electrical current and temperature caused by it's flow.  Also, the wood needs to acclimate to the local humidity, which affects resonance and vibration characteristics...

huh??  ..So why doesn't medical imaging equipment - which has plenty of "electronics/capacitors inside" need break-in time?  If so, wouldn't MRI, CTs, and echo images get sharper as the equipment "breaks-in"?

It's not that I'm trying to change your mind (it seems to be made) but I do want any newbies reading these posts to consider that "speaker/component break-in" is not supported by science.