Heresy-Forte-Cornwall ... Why such a price gap

TAliyev

2 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

huh??  ..So why doesn't medical imaging equipment - which has plenty of "electronics/capacitors inside" need break-in time?  If so, wouldn't MRI, CTs, and echo images get sharper as the equipment "breaks-in"?

It's not that I'm trying to change your mind (it seems to be made) but I do want any newbies reading these posts to consider that "speaker/component break-in" is not supported by science.

Any/all semiconductor based equipment is afflicted by termochemical changes with use time. Just because it is settled, it does not mean that things get better… they can get worse…and they often do… I have seen enough dead computer parts which stopped working with time due to various semiconductor failures… Also, the changes in performance are minor enough and the number of parts is high enough that humans do not notice “the settling” unless carefully studying the equipment… or it fails…

Just because somebody uses the word “science” it does not mean that there is anything scientific about the statement being made…

• Like 1

If "break-in" was real, somebody would have proven it by now: Some audiophile magazine would have measured the frequency response out of the box and after those theoretical break-in hours, then displayed the difference, AND proved the difference is audible.

I'm still waiting...

1 hour ago, Peter P. said:

If "break-in" was real, somebody would have proven it by now

right....

AND mfgs would have found a way to make it a part of their manufacturing process.  ..Instead of drivers sitting on a shelf waiting to be screwed into a baffle, they'd be hooked up to a device/amp that exercises and breaks-in the speaker..

c'mon people...  if your BS radar doesn't go off with this then your gullibility makes you too easy a target.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ODS123 said:

right....

AND mfgs would have found a way to make it a part of their manufacturing process.  ..Instead of drivers sitting on a shelf waiting to be screwed into a baffle, they'd be hooked up to a device/amp that exercises and breaks-in the speaker..

c'mon people...  if your BS radar doesn't go off with this then your gullibility makes you too easy a target.

Adding an extended factory burn-in increases costs and prices enormously.  Again, we are not talking about drivers only but crossover boards as well. To do this right, the assembled unit needs to be processed as a whole... Only custom and semi-custom manufacturers do this type of pre-cooking... Zu Audio would be a good example. They do 600 hours factory burn-in to their speakers https://www.zuaudio.com/  

Why do we need to be told "The Truth" by a voice from the skies, government podium or TV instead of believing our own eyes and ears?!

Edited by TAliyev
  • Like 1

At this point I have about 80+ hours of burn-in on my CW4s. Will keep them running for another 24 hours or so before giving my amps a break :)

There are improvements in the sound...Most pronounced improvements happened within the first 30 hours, then things took slower path but still progressing:

-smoother  highs

-cleaner mids

-very pronounced bass

Are they good? Yes

Do I like them? Yes

Do they worth the money I paid? Debatable, but likely No

"End of the Journey" speakers? No

I have a few questions for Cornwall IV owners ONLY:

How far away is the "joy spot" (or G-Spot) from the front line of your CW4 speakers? I am talking about the area where the sound image centers and you hear singer's voice right in the middle between speakers instead of in those speakers?

Are you tilting your CW4s upward? If so, then how significant is the angle?

In my setting the G-Spot is closer to the speaker line than I need, and changes in toeing do not seem to be shifting that "sound center" area farther or closer.... My previous Heresy 2s were throwing that G-Spot farther away....and wider....

There are improvements in the sound...Most pronounced improvements happened within the first 30 hours, then things took slower path but still progressing:

-smoother  highs

-cleaner mids

-very pronounced bass

Be careful, you'll be brow beaten to within an inch of your life.

I think you need to sit a good distance away from most horn speakers. Near field monitors they are not. When I had the CW IV I had them about 10 ft apart and I sat about 13 ft. from the plane of the speakers.

My targeted "listening" area is 12 to 24 feet away from the speaker line and is at the "standing" not "sitting"  ear level.

The image currently centers at about 8-9 feet away from the speaker line and at about sitting ear position....

The current position: tweeter centers are about 10 feet apart, tilted upward by about 2 degrees and inward by the same 2 degrees.

I may need to increase the upward tilt to 5 degrees, but this might be too much for the proper footing of those speakers ... Inward angle will need to be increased as well...and  I tried, but it did not seem to work, meaning it did not shift center of the image neither closer nor farther from the speaker line...

Edited by TAliyev
  • Like 1

Yes tune the background noise out. Glad to know you understand. 

During the course of listening, instead of in toe-in, run them straight ahead for abit, near to wall, then a foot out.

With speakers that can fill a large space and listening farther away can be ideal.

Did someone recommend tilting the speakers up?

Strange...

13 minutes ago, billybob said:

Did someone recommend tilting the speakers up?

My inner voice ... and I tend to trust it ...  :)

The upward tilt has improved the image at my targeted "standing listening" area ... I'd rather have them sitting flat as it is a hassle to keep them tilted..

Edited by TAliyev
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TAliyev said:

Adding an extended factory burn-in increases costs and prices enormously.  Again, we are not talking about drivers only but crossover boards as well. To do this right, the assembled unit needs to be processed as a whole... Only custom and semi-custom manufacturers do this type of pre-cooking... Zu Audio would be a good example. They do 600 hours factory burn-in to their speakers https://www.zuaudio.com/  

Why do we need to be told "The Truth" by a voice from the skies, government podium or TV instead of believing our own eyes and ears?!

Voice in the skies? Government podium? What are you talking about?

You are free to believe whatever you wish of course. However, to any newbies following this thread… Be reminded that Bob Crites, Who was as respected as PWK himself, Explained that breakin takes an hour at most.  

Factory burn-in might increase costs slightly but shipping speakers that don’t sound their best would cost more in lost sales.   Like I said, if Breakin made the difference between a speaker sounding “meh” and “wow!” the mfg would surely find a way to break them.

5 minutes ago, TAliyev said:

My inner voice ... and I tend to trust it ...  :)

The upward tilt has improved the image at my targeted "standing listening" area ... I'd rather have them sitting flat as it is a hassle to keep them tilted..

Alright then, whatever works.

My g-spot was the entire area of the space and beyond. Not a close by tweaked in position. Aiming speakers at me and hoping the sound would improve is not an ideal. Soundstage wide with volume is. Yes, not like using bookshelves. When I have to point a Klipsch speaker at me to hear it...See Shakeydeal is 

here so, you are getting good input, imo.

Cool

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Just out of curiosity, why are you standing while listening?

I sit enough during the workday.... Standing while listening to the music helps me to keep the balance and blood circulation :)

• Like 2