Heresy-Forte-Cornwall ... Why such a price gap

TAliyev

So, my CW4s crossed beyond 100 hours of continuous playing... And they are still playing as of this moment. Not sure how much longer I am going to be keeping this marathon. I will probably stop this "madness" tomorrow :)

Highs came down significantly. Sometimes I am not even sure if tweeters are emitting any sounds, but they do :)

Mids are smooth and even. Almost not like horns.... But when the voice is compared against SVS Ultras it becomes more obvious that horns are there :)

Bass.... It is strong and natural and complete but I am not sure about the "change" from the original (pre-burn-in) sound.

I have been splitting the music feeding time between Yamaha A-S2100 and McIntosh MA252 (Y is about 70% and M is about 30%). 

Yamaha provides tighter bass and a bit airier highs with crisp but flat mids.

McIntosh provides lesser emphasis/power in the bass department (well defined though), slightly more forward mids and a tiny bit softer highs.

Yamaha feels a bit more 3D than McIntosh, while the later is more focused, with better articulated/pronounced vocals.

I use Foobar2000 via SMSL M500 DAC. When used with DSD:ASIO driver, Yamaha provides better 3D sound image (huge sound wall but cannot pinpoint instrument location). McIntosh works better with plain / direct ASIO driver, very focused, you can hear where the sound is coming from... Differences are relatively minor, but well noticeable.

Edited by TAliyev

I have turned things off this morning. 

CW4s are wonderful, excellent but not magical speakers...

In my opinion they are severely overpriced for what they deliver and how they are designed/built.

I enjoy listening to those big boys...although still have not managed to get the center of the sound image where I want it to be...will continue my positioning/tilting/toeing experiments..

15 minutes ago, billybob said:

Dang it, who said they were magical...

I guess I hoped them to be based on all the noise and praises on the net... My bad. I placed too much trust in other people's opinions... :)

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Did you ever post pics of your room/system?

I guess I prefer a "thousand words" .... more "privacy"... even with just words I get so much extra noise here... do not want to expose  my bare skin to the sun :)

• Like 1

Yes, to some who hear Klipsch for the first time, guess it is magical to them.

Think the sound reproduction with accuracy is the most amazing thing by comparison.

One day soon, you may turn your music or other on and say... something.

...lol

4 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Well I'm going to say it again. There are people here who might be able to assist you in setting up the speakers optimally if they could put eyes on your setup. If that's not important to you, understood.

Shakey, you may be beating a dead horse. By now those who have the knowledge and the willingness to help, have probably left the room (for this particular thread).

Edited by PrestonTom
clarification
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

Really interesting read from a perspective of what not to do in buying a new pair of Klipsch Heritage speakers. Day 1 with no break in he was already drawing conclusions about the speaker, saying they aren't worth it. By day 5 with the speakers he was already drawing absolute conclusions about the speakers. One mention of speaker positioning by the OP, didn't take any other suggestions. Listened to a 36 inch tall speaker standing up and complained about the center image being off.  Then took his ball and went home. I would suggest the OP had a bit of "I got it all figured out, I don't need anyone's help." Who knows if he ended up liking them. 

Not to say that Klipsch are for everyone. But only spending 6 days listening to a new pair of speakers does not tell you a whole lot about a speaker. I'm on day 16 listening to a new pair of Heresy IV's and my opinion of them has changed 4 or 5 times during the break-in process, different amps, and playing with placement/toe in within the constructs of my room. I own 2 sets of Klipsch, H IV and Forte IV and I've found placement to make a HUGE difference in the sound. 1/2 an inch can make a difference in the quality of sound.  Anyone who doubts speaker break in either has a closed mind or has never purchased a brand new set of Klipsch IV series speakers. The difference is dramatic from day 1 to 100 hours. 

• Like 2