RF 7 III vs. Forte IV

mjr4078

Where are you located? Any opportunities to demo? I've demoed the Forte IV next to the Cornwall IV and preferred the Cornwall IV -- my local dealer has both. The room was, however, larger so that is a consideration. CW to me seemed to perform quite effortlessly. Price as always, is a consideration. I own Forte III and Chorus II. Have not heard RF7 line.

Not the paticular advise you are looking for but I have the Forte 1's and RF7 1's (both recapped) and for my type of music, classic rock and heavy metal, I prefer the Forte's mainly due to the 3-way design.

The RF7's perform very well with my home theater setup (RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 with an SVS PB12+2 sub).

Both speakers dig really deep and can play at concert volume levels in my room.

So much to wife's dismay, I decided to go with the Cornwall IVs. Picking them up this weekend. I did have a concern about placement of them in my room. The room is on the small side and was going to place them in corners about 10 feet apart with them slightly toed in towards listening area. How far do you think they should be from the back wall? I will also be driving them with a Rotel RA1592 MKII and was wondering if you think it would be beneficial to bi-wire these? Thanks again for your feedback!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjr4078 said:

So much to wife's dismay, I decided to go with the Cornwall IVs. Picking them up this weekend. I did have a concern about placement of them in my room. The room is on the small side and was going to place them in corners about 10 feet apart with them slightly toed in towards listening area. How far do you think they should be from the back wall? I will also be driving them with a Rotel RA1592 MKII and was wondering if you think it would be beneficial to bi-wire these? Thanks again for your feedback!

In my experience, bi-wiring is a waste of time.  Bi-amping on the other hand is worthwhile if you have the means to do so.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:22 AM, Idontknow said:

I commented that I thought something sounded wrong with that RF7 sample. It’s not even close and it should be closer.

It would be nice if @Paducah Home Theater could re-do this versus video as there is clearly something wrong with the bass output on the RF-7 III's- possibly wired out of phase? Everything I have read or heard about the 7's indicate they should smash the forte's in the bass department if nothing else, which is clearly not properly represented in their video. 

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

It would be nice if @Paducah Home Theater could re-do this versus video as there is clearly something wrong with the bass output on the RF-7 III's- possibly wired out of phase? Everything I have read or heard about the 7's indicate they should smash the forte's in the bass department if nothing else, which is clearly not properly represented in their video. 

I had 7s

Quickly sold them for KLF 30

They just did not sound right to me. Low output also

27 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

I had 7s

Quickly sold them for KLF 30

They just did not sound right to me. Low output also

You've had the RF-7 III's? I've had the originals and the twos just curious about the threes. 

I owned the Forte I and RF 7 I and II.  They were very comparable and may not be a good companions except for their purpose. The RF 7 is very versatile.  It is great with music and movies. The Forte can be used for movies but, the Heritage speakers are more design for 2 ch. listening.    I used both speakers with 12=200 watts amps, tub, Class D, Class A, Class A/B and no real different in enjoyment.  Don't buy speaker without listening if possible based on public polls.  This is an election year, lol.

Heritage and Reference speakers have their fans and it comes down to choice.  The main difference is in the midrange.  The RF 7's are closer to ear height and will have more body in the midrage and less dominant bass with the forte but, the midrange will be more on display.  Our hearing is geared toward the midrange but, music like body that the RF 7's deliver.  

I eventually chose the RF 7 II over the Forte and sold them do to space. Still wish I had both.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:20 AM, jjptkd said:

People think the bass is bloated like on Cerwin Vegas or something.  That's not the case at all.  If you twist the bass knob and give them some juice they can thump.  But basic frequency response without there being extenuating circumstances such as EQ or SBIR shenanigans just isn't going to be bass heavy.