Is An All Forte Home Theater Set Up Too Much?

Yeats

This summer I inherited a pair of mint, lightly used Forte I's. I have it in mind to use them for side surrounds in a 5.2 set up and have all Forte 3 or 4's for the front with a couple of Monolith 12 subs powered by a Denon AVR-X4700H. My living room is about 19' x 16' in a ground floor old apt building on a busy street. Is this waaay overkill?

• Like 1

Not a chance.  I had an all Klipschorn HT for awhile now that was overkill.  Slowly started downgrading to Belle's, then La Scala's now La Scala's Cornwall's and Heresy HIP's.  No such thing as too much.  It will sound phenomenal.

• Like 1

I agree with Frzninvt.  I worked out of state for 3 years.  Stayed in an apartment.  You could hear and FEEL the neighbors walking in the units adjacent to me.  (in Florida so whole building had crawl space under it)

Had the Jubilee's in there with two Danley DTS-10's.  Never had a complaint.  I specifically talked to the neighbors and the complex manager (who happened to be one of my neighbors)  He said not only had anyone ever complained, that he's never heard me.  

I find that a bit dubious.... but in the end, if you think you are being too loud for others, all you need to do is use some restraint on the volume control, irrespective of how large/capable your system might be.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:24 AM, Yeats said:

This summer I inherited a pair of mint, lightly used Forte I's. I have it in mind to use them for side surrounds in a 5.2 set up and have all Forte 3 or 4's for the front with a couple of Monolith 12 subs powered by a Denon AVR-X4700H. My living room is about 19' x 16' in a ground floor old apt building on a busy street. Is this waaay overkill?

it's not overkill to have a big sound system  if you live in a house away from neighbors and the riff raff   , but    a ground floor apartment , on a busy street ..........

I have 5 Cornwall Series 1 speakers in a 5,1 setup with a Velodyne sub.   But I am in a single family home and these reside downstairs in a large family room.   Modded Hafler and HK power with a Crown driving the Velodyne.    And vinyl played by a Kenwood KD-500 / Mayware Formula IV / Sonus Red and a Technics DVD-Audio / CD machine that rivals Oppo.      Works for me ....

Edited by Guest Vahorns
correct grammar

I just wanted to thank everyone for your great input. It's a big move. I used to have a Monitor Audio 7.1 set up and I was always happy with it. But because the Forte's were part of my childhood, I really want to make them a part of my adult life. I think if people can rock Klipschorns in apartments I should be okay. A little mindfulness and consideration will be required but that's standard operating procedure in all areas of life. I just wasn't sure how loud these things are going to be.

My decision might hinge on what the future holds.  If I was going to be in an apartment for years longer, I wouldn't bother with the change.  If a shorter period of time, all you have to do is stay light on the throttle until you have a better environment.