Custom Chorus II / KI-396 Hybrid

Another update I posted this in another thread but thought I'd post it and add to it a bit here:

"I was doing an A-B test of my 335's vs 396's last night (first time I've swapped the 335's back in since my 396's were completed) and I actually prefer the higher sensitivity, 3-way 335's (103db) at lower volumes. 68db or so. The 335's sound full, detailed and very engaging at the lowest levels where the 2-way 396's (101db) need to be up high 70's to get the same full sound and even then they don't seem quite as detailed as the 335's. Volume level comparisons were done with an spl meter."

The 396's sound wonderful with a very nice midrange sound once you get above a certain volume in fact I think I prefer the midrange over the 335's by a slight margin they are very smooth and slightly bigger sounding with a bit deeper tone. They sound very detailed and complete until compared side by side with the 335's-- the difference in inner details isn't huge but noticeable, 2-way vs 3-way?

I've got a set of KPT-325 crossovers in the mail looking at the spec's might be a better fit for lighter, lower level home use? I like the fact that the rated sensitivity is higher, 102.5db with the 325's vs 101db with the 396's with the bass response pretty much set by cabinet design I'm thinking the horn will be a bit more forward which should be a good thing at low volume, if its too forward I can always activate the bass boost like I do with my 335's to strike a balance. Higher sensitivity should also mean I can bring the tube amp back out actually now that I think about it I should try it again now that the speakers have broken in a bit..  

KPT-325-re.jpg

KPT-335-N.jpg

KI-396-SMA-IIre.jpg

• Like 1

I’m kind of curious about the differences between the 396 & 325 networks? I’m guessing it’s either just voicing or cabinet tuning? Or a bit of both? In any case, the 325 is definitely bit simpler.

I downgraded my 335’s to 325’s a while back and have been generally  happier with the 2way format… I just wished they looked a bit nicer? 

What I remember of the 335’s, the MF and HF output was noticeably higher than the LF though the HF was really hot (could be read as very detailed). I tried to fix the HF by switching out the 2ohm resistor in its circuit which helped but I ultimately ended up with other issues as well, which is when I started looking into the 325 conversion. My final impression was that the 335 top was really meant to be used with the 904 LF cab if you don’t want to eq the living hell out of it…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CANT said:

I’m kind of curious about the differences between the 396 & 325 networks? I’m guessing it’s either just voicing or cabinet tuning? Or a bit of both? In any case, the 325 is definitely bit simpler.

I downgraded my 335’s to 325’s a while back and have been generally  happier with the 2way format… I just wished they looked a bit nicer? 

What I remember of the 335’s, the MF and HF output was noticeably higher than the LF though the HF was really hot (could be read as very detailed). I tried to fix the HF by switching out the 2ohm resistor in its circuit which helped but I ultimately ended up with other issues as well, which is when I started looking into the 325 conversion. My final impression was that the 335 top was really meant to be used with the 904 LF cab if you don’t want to eq the living hell out of it…

Yeah its been kind of a long road to get the 335's exactly how I want them but found success through equipment swapping with my Sunfire TG-IV bass boosted paired with a Carver tube amp, this combo just dialed everything in smooth and detailed with plenty of low end kick, so far I like them a bit better than the 2-way 396's at normal listening levels, I'm hoping the 325 crossovers lessen the gap a bit we'll see I guess.

If you look at the spec sheet for the 396's they're rated 600 watts RMS 2400 peak-- I really think these are meant / designed to play very loud and suffer just a bit at lower levels as a result. As the volume goes up they do sound better when I get the 325 crossovers in I'll take a side by side pic with the 396's for comparison. 

Now that I have the 396's running I've stripped my 335 cabinets down going to finally "finish" them; pull or sink all of the screws and fill the holes, router the sharp plywood edges then put a few coats of Duratex paint on them. Eventually I'll build some risers not sure if I'll get those done right away work has been busy. I think the 2-way Chorus II cabinets look great, I need to finish those as well, always stuff to do it seems..

ch396ii.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Klipsch Employees

If you are using the 335 and 325 networks, those are meant to have an exaggerated mid because they go behind a screen in a cinema. 

the 396 networks are essentially flat but do allow for an exaggerated low end when played on the floor. Typically 396’s are flown and don’t have much of a plane to load the bass. 

just thought I’d give you a little more insight on how the networks are designed for these particular speakers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

If you are using the 335 and 325 networks, those are meant to have an exaggerated mid because they go behind a screen in a cinema. 

the 396 networks are essentially flat but do allow for an exaggerated low end when played on the floor. Typically 396’s are flown and don’t have much of a plane to load the bass. 

just thought I’d give you a little more insight on how the networks are designed for these particular speakers. 

Always nice to have the expert confirm my experiences thank you! 

From the sounds of it I might need to make some custom grill covers out of cinema screen material.. 🤔 🙃

• Like 1

So swapped in the KPT-325 crossovers this morning and I have to say wow, what a change, the speakers are significantly more dynamic, detailed with an airy high end I wasn't sure was possible without tweeters. The speakers have been transformed and are now very close to my 3-way 335's in sensitivity and inner details even at the lowest volume settings, which is where I spend most of my time listening these days. 

325vs396re.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I also give plugs for JEM because they are the only authorized klipsch crossover guy. Guess I’m shameless too…….

Not knocking JEM but Randy has probably pushed their products over 100 times every chance he gets even when not related to the thread topic apparently no biggie carry on

• Like 4

9 hours ago, 001 said:

Yes  ,  I am Proud to recommend JEM   .

So have you used JEM yourself or is this just a way to bump elbows with the Chief.. seems he's come to your defense a number of times now on this topic. 

• Like 2

• Klipsch Employees
6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So have you used JEM yourself or is this just a way to bump elbows with the Chief.. seems he's come to your defense a number of times now on this topic. 

Randy and I don’t know each but it does seem very weird to me how people seem to get irritated when randy recommends jem. From the moment jem was approved to provide components for heritage klipsch networks, some boneheads just totally rebelled. Weird. Why does it bother you that he recommends jem knowing that jem is klipsch approved?