Custom Chorus II / KI-396 Hybrid

• Klipsch Employees
6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

So have you used JEM yourself or is this just a way to bump elbows with the Chief.. seems he's come to your defense a number of times now on this topic. 

I have. And you are using networks that I designed. Does that bear any weight with you?  Just curious where this antagonist tone comes fro.  

• Klipsch Employees
On 6/15/2022 at 5:12 PM, jjptkd said:

Always nice to have the expert confirm my experiences thank you! 

From the sounds of it I might need to make some custom grill covers out of cinema screen material.. 🤔 🙃

Did I come to your “defense”?

18 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

I have. And you are using networks that I designed. Does that bear any weight with you?  Just curious where this antagonist tone comes fro.  

Sorry but I believe you are missing a lot of context here again I have nothing against JEM or that Randy is their pitch man but if you read through this thread the plug was just not relevant to the discussion and a bit played out IMO. 

These networks are great I'm very happy with both of my custom sets of speakers and I do take your opinion seriously thank you for all of your input I really do appreciate it.

On 5/8/2022 at 9:58 AM, jjptkd said:

Thank you! Yes I've always wanted to give the infamous 396's a run in my system but they never come up for sale used near me plus after having my previous "pro-Cornscala" build which used the same cabinets as the 396's I figured the bass would probably leave me wanting. These speakers truly are amazing-- different presentation than the 3-way 335's with some things I like more at the expense of some other things really hard to say at this point which I like better both are top notch in my book.

Some day, you might even graduate to Horn Bass! Another level will be achieved then.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

A great tool is the ignore user function. You can find it under > account > ignored users

This got blown way out of proportion I actually enjoy and appreciate a lot of @001 posts here and have nothing against him I apologize Randy hope there's no hard feelings man nothing wrong with promoting the Chief engineer at Klipsch opinion especially here on this forum. 

• Like 1

Sorry guys I don't understand all your intricacies, but I appreciate the crafts of @jjptkd . I find it nice that @Chief bonehead gives his opinion on what to use as a crossover and what are the specific sound and use of its realization: for example stronger medium to put the speaker behind a screen! it's good.

👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2022 at 6:33 AM, jjptkd said:

This got blown way out of proportion I actually enjoy and appreciate a lot of @001 posts here and have nothing against him I apologize Randy hope there's no hard feelings man nothing wrong with promoting the Chief engineer at Klipsch opinion especially here on this forum. 

none taken ............

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, jjptkd said:

So swapped in the KPT-325 crossovers this morning and I have to say wow, what a change, the speakers are significantly more dynamic, detailed with an airy high end I wasn't sure was possible without tweeters. The speakers have been transformed and are now very close to my 3-way 335's in sensitivity and inner details even at the lowest volume settings, which is where I spend most of my time listening these days. 

325vs396re.jpg

So, it looks like your 325 networks are an older gen/rev than what I have? They basically appear to be the same other than the build/layout and maybe that 2ohm padding resistor... I tried to find a picture to double check but I swear mine was 3ohm prior to me swapping it out for 3.3ohm? Similar to the the 335's I played around with that value to see if I could pad the HF bit more to my liking/application. If I remember correctly I went all the way to 4ohm on the 335's but I tried several rather small steps when adjusting both. If I can find my original notes, I will confirm whether it was 2 or 3 ohms.

Oh and for whatever else it is worth... I generally power my 325's with a McIntosh MA230. Obviously not a ton of power but I tend to like low power simple amps... I also couldn't imagine needing more than what I have?

• Like 1

Nevermind, I found my notes on the back of the KPT-325-N2 outboard network mounting instructions… it was 2ohm before I selected the 3.3ohm replacement. I must have just been remembering selecting that value over 3ohm.

As yet another side note… I would suggest anyone with a newer Klipsch network approach capacitor replacement with extreme caution! I did my share of this on the 335’s and a few other models with VERY mixed results! Different is not always better and these networks work and sound good as is. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, CANT said:

I would suggest anyone with a newer Klipsch network approach capacitor replacement with extreme caution! I did my share of this on the 335’s and a few other models with VERY mixed results! Different is not always better and these networks work and sound good as is. 

I tried bi-amping the 335's to boost the woofer / cut the horns back a bit to try and cool the "hot" upper end and it threw the whole balance off pretty quick without some EQ that is not the way to go either. All in all with my Carver tube amp with bass boost added on my pre-amp the sound is really good. 

I have a mini-DSP and Mic need to take some measurements at some point finally get a few days off but have family staying with me through next weekend, I pulled the tubes and re-installed my Sunfire 200x7 until after they're gone.