1980/1984 Cornwalls

jcadlac

• jcadlac changed the title to 1980/1984 Cornwalls
18 hours ago, jcadlac said:

I have two McIntosh MC7270 amps and four Cornwalls. Which is optimum, bridged mono or stereo mode? Thx

Stereo - 270  wpc  per amplifier ,  1 amp  per pair of CW  /  8 Ohms  ,  which is great headroom  since  the CW is rated at  100 watts . you got 2 great  amps , & 4 great speakers , I would blast away

3 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Go stereo, and please don't run both pairs at the same time.  It messes up the sound.

If it were a good idea, speaker companies would be advertising it.

I've heard of plenty 4 channel systems, no?

6 hours ago, jcadlac said:

My Sansui G9700 has 4 speaker outputs, what's different?

It's for running two separate pairs at different times, or powering one pair in one room and another pair in a different room.

Audio-wise it's never a good idea to have more than one speaker right next to each other playing the same signal.

You'd be much better off selling the Cornwalls and going with a single pair of LaScalas, Klipschorns, etc.

Back when Sansui was making quadrophonic systems like the QS500, it was right popular.

Abit of a predacessor to today's surround systems.

Welcome...  

Vintage units from all over has A/B/A+B speaker switch.

Echoing Schu here, also ran wall of sound, Cornwall IIs flanked by LaScalas, almost edge to edge on the short wall of a small room.

My current set up of Heresy ( one pair toed in 45 degrees, pulled out well away from front and side walls ) on the long wall of a larger room yields much better sound stage and center image.

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

It's for running two separate pairs at different times, or powering one pair in one room and another pair in a different room.

Audio-wise it's never a good idea to have more than one speaker right next to each other playing the same signal.

You'd be much better off selling the Cornwalls and going with a single pair of LaScalas, Klipschorns, etc.

I have Lascalas and they don't have the bass Cornwalls deliver!

Edited by jcadlac