The Heresy As A Mini-Cornwall

The Heresy came first (1957) and its full-er range brother the Cornwall, arrived in 1959.

The Heresy IV was designed with an improved low end extension using a rear port and a slightly larger cabinet.

I thought: Wouldn't it have been interesting had Klipsch designed the Heresy IV as a "mini" Cornwall-instead of a rear port, a front

vented design.

I'm of the unsubstantiated opinion that vented and ported speakers perform (sound) differently at the low end even though I have nothing

to back that up.

So do you think it is possible to design the Heresy as a mini-version of the Cornwall with say, two front vents just to retain the Cornwall type looks,

and possibly get that Heresy IV low end extension? Do you think that wasn't done for financial, performance, or aesthetic reasons?

From a marketing standpoint, I'd think it would be a great way to advertise the newest Heresy as having Cornwall-like performance in a smaller

package.

Feel free to go wild discussing this!

14 hours ago, Peter P. said:

So do you think it is possible to design the Heresy as a mini-version of the Cornwall with say, two front vents just to retain the Cornwall type looks,

and possibly get that Heresy IV low end extension? Do you think that wasn't done for financial, performance, or aesthetic reasons?

Two key issues here one being there just is no room on the front unless you go quite a bit taller and two you get added bass response from rear porting when close to a rear wall and even double that if near a corner. Plus they already made a speaker like that mid '90's? the tangent 400 ended up the same size as the forte.

heresy tangent 400.jpg

• Like 2

Tangent 400s are great. A more solid cabinet would help, but they are really nice. I've been very tempted to build some birch T400 cabinets and move my HII parts over. Win, win!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Two key issues here one being there just is no room on the front unless you go quite a bit taller and two you get added bass response from rear porting when close to a rear wall and even double that if near a corner. Plus they already made a speaker like that mid '90's? the tangent 400 ended up the same size as the forte.

heresy tangent 400.jpg

What I was thinking of was a SMALL version of the Cornwall: Essentially a Heresy (same components and rough cabinet volume) with just enough increased height for a single, or maybe a two-section rectangular vent along the bottom ala the Cornwall. Maybe the only way Klipsch could get satisfactory increased low end extension on the newest Heresy was to

port it out the back or maybe if they vented it out the front like I suggest the cabinet volume would be insufficient.

2 hours ago, Peter P. said:

What I was thinking of was a SMALL version of the Cornwall: Essentially a Heresy (same components and rough cabinet volume) with just enough increased height for a single, or maybe a two-section rectangular vent along the bottom ala the Cornwall. Maybe the only way Klipsch could get satisfactory increased low end extension on the newest Heresy was to

port it out the back or maybe if they vented it out the front like I suggest the cabinet volume would be insufficient.

I did that with using Claude's Super Heresy recipe (kinda). I had already built a pair but inherited a set of HIP aluminum trim so built another pair using the front slot port like the HIP.  The 1" x 14" slot was roughly the same volume as the 4" round used in the Super H. The cabinet was only 3/4" taller than a standard Heresy (not including the trim) and everything had to be fit in there with a shoehorn, but it fit and these are wonderful speakers.

hip5.thumb.jpg.01956229419952b008d17b7021edcf06.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 12:34 PM, Marvel said:

I've been very tempted to build some birch T400 cabinets and move my HII parts over. Win, win!

the H2 empty cabs  would sell , local  , in  1 day  .....

28 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

While I doubt you measured the frequency response after the mod, can you tell us if you noticed any difference in sound?

Yeah, didn't measure, but they sound wonderful. They were build from scratch so no before / after comparison. I do have a set of stock Heresy that are very nice sounding but these are head and shoulders above them. The woofer used was Eminence 12LFA and they dig deeper than stock and shine in the vented cabinet. These also have upgraded tweeters too which helps round out the full spectrum. Really, really nice sounding speakers. They are exactly like the S Heresy you see behind it in the first photo, only difference is rear 4" round port and front slot port.

Yeah, didn't measure, but they sound wonderful. They were build from scratch so no before / after comparison. I do have a set of stock Heresy that are very nice sounding but these are head and shoulders above them. The woofer used was Eminence 12LFA and they dig deeper than stock and shine in the vented cabinet. These also have upgraded tweeters too which helps round out the full spectrum. Really, really nice sounding speakers. They are exactly like the S Heresy you see behind it in the first photo, only difference is rear 4" round port and front slot port.

Your build looks very nice, would you share the build and cut sheets for them?
Thanks