What do I need for this?

fawwaz

When hooking up to a TV, I have mine going thru the VCR Most new TVs and VCRs have right and left RCA plugs for audio out, sou you just need to get an adapter <2 RCA to 1/8" stereo jack> from RadiosShack. It can probably be hooked up to your TV or VCR audio outs in order to get sound from VHS. Good luck.

Plug the 4.1's into the TV line audio outputs. You'll probably have to buy rca to mini plug addaptors as I did at Radio Shack.

Use the 'variable' line outs so the 4.1 volume goes up and down with the TV remote control.

In Theory... This might be what you are looking for....

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F009%5F004&product%5Fid=910%2D0879

looks kinda like this i think... except this one is mono....

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F009%5F004&product%5Fid=910%2D0878

After getting these adapters, you can plug it into your tv audio outputs (left and right) keep in mind that you will no longer have front and rear channel separation using this method... rather, you will have left and right (stereo) so place your speakers accordingly

If your tv does not have audio outs, you probably have to do what paragon did and hook it up to a vcr that does has audio outs...

This is better and what I have been posting to tell ppl to get.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F002%5F000&product%5Fid=42%2D2481

along with a stereo splitter in order to have right and left in teh fronts and rears. With the adapters you gave.. the would be good for making the fronts one channel and the rears a different channel, altho I am sure you can find a cable that does the adapting in order to get more length. Right now, I actually have a 2RCA to mono so all the channels are the same. I tired to make a stereo cable out of it but it didnt work for some reason so I will probably just buy new cables

quote:

Originally posted by Paragon:

This is better and what I have been posting to tell ppl to get.

along with a stereo splitter in order to have right and left in teh fronts and rears. With the adapters you gave.. the would be good for making the fronts one channel and the rears a different channel, altho I am sure you can find a cable that does the adapting in order to get more length. Right now, I actually have a 2RCA to mono so all the channels are the same. I tired to make a stereo cable out of it but it didnt work for some reason so I will probably just buy new cables

Hey paragon I already got the first adapter used it on l/r channel and then hooked it up to the line in on the promedias.

The sound came from the front speakers and MAN you thought your TV was loud and clear.

Anyway the TV speakers are still ON, The promedia's front are on, all good now!

But the rear are off!!

I don't want the TV's speakers to be ON just the 4.1!

I'm not sure that the fault is in the TV's outputs , but since I am buying a new one I want to make sure what knid of outputs it must have to insure the 4.1 work properly!!

You should be able to mute the TV or just turn the volume down. What soundcard ya got.. for the SBlive.. go into creative surround mixer and either 1] click on EAX and then on the second row of icons select the line-in one or 2] in the mixer part, select line-in icon for record from the dropdown.

csm.jpg

may be similar with other cards.

Thanks Paragon ,What I did earlier was connectin the output using the cable directly into the 4.1 without the use of the Computer!

Now I used the line-in of the soundcard and the 4 channels operate ( I think with the same quality of directly inputing into the 4.1)

What I am not sure of is the surrond .

I am not sure they are operating in Stereo although the sound is loud and great,but all speakers seem to give the same sound!

Ah well I guess the TV I get should only have the rear output ,I do want surrond like in games thou! Maybe the virtual Stereo should make a differnce!

Ah Yes the TV should be also close to the PC! biggrin.gif

In Theory....sound coming out of the tv would most likely be stereo anywayz... unless your tv is like the new ones that have a built in decoder... this means you will probably not get any surround effects unless you buy a receiver or somthing with prologic or better... there is nothing in the tv that helps separate the channels (except stereo) unless there is a built in decoder... pluging the tv into the soundcard may help you get some surround because the soundcard acts as a decoder (separates the channels)... if you have the soundblaster live!... tryin going into the speakers menu to see if you've selected the correct setup for your speakers then test it to see if your speakers are set up correctly...

The only TVs i have seen with a built in decoder are the big screen projection type... dont know if thatz what you're looking for... but you can probably go check out your local Bestbuy or other electronics retailer... as for the outputs it has... i haven't actually looked in back of the TV's... but you can probably check that out when you're at the store. By the way, what kind of sound card do you have? Are you planning on buying a DVD player? If you're getting a DVD player or already have one, you might not need a TV with a built in decoder. DVD players usually have thier own audio outputs either in the form of analog, digital, or both. If there is a digital output and your sound card has a digital line in, itz possible that your sound card will do the decoding for you... in theory... hee he... someone correct me if i'm wrong...

fawwaz,

Get the adapter as paragon linked to, to run tv into soundcard's line-in.

Get a tv that has a RCA-in and RCA-out and a switch cut out the built-in speakers of the tv.

Then run RCA cables from the vcr to the tv, and another pair from the tv to the vcr. Then you can listen to what you are watching on tv and record at the same time. If you run cables from the vcr to the pros you'll have to listen to what you record. Or turn the tv speakers back on.

If you don't have enough line-in jacks on back of your soundcard you can remove the i/8" jack and solder on a plug for the aux on the soundcard's header.(then it will have its' own volume control in the mixer)

The soundcard will give sound, front and rear. And no "Y" splitters.