My first integrated amp... Suggestions?

Hawkeye_a

I picked up The Fives with a sub almost a year ago, and i've been very impressed. I've been thinking about stepping up to the HeresyIVs, but i'm fairly ignorant about passive speakers. Currently, I have all my devices (PS5, etc) plugged into my TV (LG CX), and i'm feeding audio into my Fives via HDMI-eARC (I play music using this setup as well, and occasionally via BlueTooth).

Right now, in my head I have a big "?" between my TV's HDMI-eARC output and the HeresyIVs. I guess the missing component is an "integrated amp".

I I was wondering what product the community would recommend for the HereseyIVs?

Cheers

• Like 1

@billybob Thanks for the replies :) Honestly, I don't know how tube & solid-state compare to each other. Right now I'm just trying to narrow-down a few options that would fit in my puzzle relatively seamlessly (without breaking the bank).

In my search i've come across AVRs (like Denon) and they seem to be ...... way more than what i need.

Cheers

• Like 1

Yes can understand. Unless you are planning an HT would not go for an AVR.

4 minutes ago, Hawkeye_a said:

@billybob Thanks for the replies :) Honestly, I don't know how tube & solid-state compare to each other. Right now I'm just trying to narrow-down a few options that would fit in my puzzle relatively seamlessly (without breaking the bank).

In my search i've come across AVRs (like Denon) and they seem to be ...... way more than what i need.

Cheers

Would try an integrated from reply to you from above source first.

Cool...

@jimjimbo 2.1. I hope to power the HeresyIVs, with the possibility for a sub. The inputs I would like are HDMI-eARC(like the Fives), Bluetooth and 3.5mm.

My TV (LG CX) can pipe the audio out via HDMI-eARC or Optical (and 3.5mm, but id rather not have to resort to that).

Cheers

• Like 1

The Heresy IV's are very efficient and easy to drive.  There are wattage calculators you can find on the internet to help determine how much power you'll need.  ..I would think 50watts would be plenty.  ..More than enough to evoke an eviction notice if you share walls w/ a neighbor.

And nowadays, nearly every integrated amplifier exceeds your hearing threshold with respect to THD, S/N, Channel Separation, etc....  So no need to turn amplifier selection into something akin to a wine-tasting exercise.  ..Look for the features you want, fit/finish you desire and aesthetics you can live with.  Spending more doesn't mean better (or even different) sound, but it could mean a thicker faceplate, heavier metal knobs/ switches, and grotesque amounts of over-engineering yielding no better sound, but a great deal more expense and physical weight :)

And good call on choosing an integrated (or even an AVR) over separates!  ..There's no engineering-based rationale for separating into two or more boxes that which can elegantly be built into one.  ..Not only is an integrated solution cheaper, there's fewer components and less cable clutter.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any specific suggestions/recommendations? The only one i've come across is the "Sonos Amp".

@ODS123 Thanks. I generally agree with you, and yeah, I was pretty overwhelmed after watching some video reviews on YouTube.

Edited by Hawkeye_a

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like having an HDMI eARC input is the highest priority. If not, ignore everything else I have to say. If yes, I'm going to suggest something that isn't what you asked for, but might work really well for you. My concern is, finding a good integrated with HDMI eARC in your price range may be a challenge.

As an alternative, consider:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluesound-Wireless-Multi-Room-Hi-Res-Streamer/dp/B0937LC7P2/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=34JEEJDNUKWTW&keywords=bluesound%2Bnode&qid=1652403648&sprefix=Bluesou%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-2-spons&smid=A2763VQ7SN6URD&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyQVNZT1c1NVBRSklYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjMyMTM5M0U3RkVWSTdUNDdTRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzYwMDMwWUFWTFo2WEdOWUxaJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

and

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I'm using with my Fortes. It gives you the inputs you want including the HDMI eARC, pairs well with Klipsch Heritage speakers, and sounds incredible. All within your price range. It doesn't give you any options for a CD player or phono, but you didn't say you needed them. If you want to chat in more detail, just send me a message.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hawkeye_a said:

@jimjimbo 2.1. I hope to power the HeresyIVs, with the possibility for a sub. The inputs I would like are HDMI-eARC(like the Fives), Bluetooth and 3.5mm.

My TV (LG CX) can pipe the audio out via HDMI-eARC or Optical (and 3.5mm, but id rather not have to resort to that).

Cheers

Start looking at Yamaha, Marantz, Rotel integrated with the features you require.

Are you located in the U.S.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

What sort of features do you require? 

Integrated Amp:

- Bass/ Treble controls?

- built-in DAC?

- built-in Phono pre-amp?

- 2 sets of speakers or just one?

1. No i doubt i’ll need dedicated bass/treble controls

2. I assume if audio is being fed in via HDMI or optical it will need a DAC

3. Not necessary, but “nice to have”

4. Not entirely sure what you mean by the last question. I’ll need to power a pair of HeresyIVs, and a sub. Thats it.

@CWelsh Thanks. Is the “Bluesound” device a “receiver”?

@billybob Thanks, will do. Yes I am in the US. I’d like these products to support 100-240v & 50-60Hz as i’d like to eventually take them back to Australia.

Cheers

Edited by Hawkeye_a