My first integrated amp... Suggestions?

Hawkeye_a

Optical vs HDMI-arc.

Considering my target use-case (2 or 2.1 stereo with the HeresyIVs (optional sub)),  I guess the optical connection has sufficient bandwidth? If so, the only benefit of HDMI-arc would be using a single remote to control the volume and turning the amp on/off?

Would those be fair conclusions?

After searching for a couple of days, I haven't found an amp with an HDMI-arc input within my price range, so I'm wondering if I should just "settle" with using an optical connection and two remotes.

I came across the "PS Audio Sprout 100", which has an optical-in, is within my price range and looks fairly simple (big plus for me). Would this amp suit the HeresyIVs?

Cheers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ODS123 said:

And good call on choosing an integrated (or even an AVR) over separates!  ..There's no engineering-based rationale for separating into two or more boxes that which can elegantly be built into one.  ..Not only is an integrated solution cheaper, there's fewer components and less cable clutter.

lol... wat

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, billybob said:

Sure reads like it will

meet your requirements!?

Sleep on it after you decide.

Would be nice maybe to try it, with ability to return.

Others here familiar with brand may say more.

Thanks!

Cheers. Yeah its a bit of a tangent from what i initially wanted (HDMI-arc), but this one is compatible with 100-240v as well, which is a big plus for me. (And the remote isn't intimidating)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye_a said:

Cheers. Yeah its a bit of a tangent from what i initially wanted (HDMI-arc), but this one is compatible with 100-240v as well, which is a big plus for me. (And the remote isn't intimidating)

Saw that and you could travel with it easily enough. 50 wpc @8 Ohms should drive the speakers easily enough. Not concert level though, maybe.

I just came across the NAD 3045, which seems to match my initial requirements (HDMI-arc, intl' power, etc), they are a bit over budget, but oh well.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-3045-hybrid-digital-dac-amplifier/

If anyone is interested, Steve Huff made a video about his HEeresyIVs and pairing them with the PS Audio Sprout 100.

• Like 2

The same Bluesound Node (last edition without the digit 2 or 2i) is also available  with a built in amp, 80 watts or so. It is called Bluesound Power Node. Because Bluesound and NAD belong to the same company the power section is the same Class D as used in the latest NAD amps. I personally use the Blue Sound streamer without power amp together with a vintage Quad 34 pre and Quad 306 power amp. This amps combination costs about $650 used in total and I know not many transistor amps which work so good with horns because the 306 power amp has a circuit which is one of the best for very low level signals like a tube amp. And because it is British you will have full service in Australia as well. Just to buy the Bluesound Powernode comes cheaper. But I have no experience with the sound of newish Class D power amps. Many reviews think, it is good.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

An update and a couple of follow up questions.

I managed to get a demo of the Heresy IV & Forte IV. And ..... I think I shouldn't have had a listen to the Fortes, cause I ended up ordering a pair. The Heresys were great too, but they would have needed sub IMHO and while I do have a sub, i just wanted to keep it simple as space is at a premium.

I've ordered a PSAudio Sprout 100, and i hope it is suitable/enough (I realize it does not have HDMI arc input).

Being my first pair of passive speakers. I have a question about 4ohm vs 8ohm. The Fortes are listed as "8ohm compatible". The Sprout100 is rated as 100WPC @ 4ohm and 50WPC @ 8ohm. Is this something I need to be aware of when hooking everything up? ie do i need to set the Sprout100(or any amp) to output for 8ohm speakers explicitly? Or is this something which happens "automatically"? Does it even matter? The reason I ask, is because I don't want to damage the amp or speakers with incorrect power, etc.

Cheers

PS>>I would have liked to consider the "LEAK Stereo 130" or the "Decware Triode Amp", but alas they didn't support 100-240V power supplies (and they're way out of my price range :) ).

Edited by Hawkeye_a
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye_a said:

PS>>I would have liked to consider the "LEAK Stereo 130" or the "Decware Triode Amp", but alas they didn't support 100-240V power supplies (and they're way out of my price range :) ).

They both have the option according to their websites.