What to do with my Cornwalls.

mowntnbkr

I posted about these about a year ago, so forgive me.  I have a pair of 73 verticals in oiled walnut.  They are in great shape for their age, heck they still have the original brochure stapled to the back of one, they are sequential, no tears dents or significant scratches.  The only mod are the speaker binding posts.  So; rebuild xovers, other mods suggested?  I have not listened to them I probably 3 years. Are they worth anything or are they worth upgrading?  I have wandered from klipsch for the most part, found myself enjoying the sound of Tannoys for the past 15 years.  Although I still have my rf83’s as well and I will probably pass to my kids (for some reason I really enjoy them on my other system). Any input is appreciated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mowntnbkr said:

I’m in Idaho.  I could probably sell them down in Boise or over in Seattle.  Upgrading wouldn’t diminish their value?

Most of what you'll find is modifying rather than upgrading.

My advice would be to not do anything that can't be reversed and keep any original parts you replace.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

Let the buyer make any modifications. Mods infer butcher work, whether done well or not.

While sellers think their mods are great, buyers are always looking for original stuff.

Well, that's just not true.  Mods do not "infer" butcher work.  Many buyers are looking for plug and play these days.

sell them where you want , even Craigslist ,

the klipsch Forum  is  Free ,   long time  Forum members  would  really go for an original pair of 73 Vertical in mint shape ,

On 5/12/2022 at 7:49 PM, mowntnbkr said:

I posted about these about a year ago, so forgive me.  I have a pair of 73 verticals in oiled walnut.  They are in great shape for their age, heck they still have the original brochure stapled to the back of one, they are sequential, no tears dents or significant scratches.  The only mod are the speaker binding posts.  So; rebuild xovers, other mods suggested?  I have not listened to them I probably 3 years. Are they worth anything or are they worth upgrading?  I have wandered from klipsch for the most part, found myself enjoying the sound of Tannoys for the past 15 years.  Although I still have my rf83’s as well and I will probably pass to my kids (for some reason I really enjoy them on my other system). Any input is appreciated.

My friend Brett who has my Bob Latino ST70 has the exact same pair with vertical horn and I absolutely loved their sound. I was very impressed with them. They had a robust, powerful soundstage with my amp. I heard stories about the vertical midrange having to do with laying the speakers sideways back in the day but I did some research on the vertical horn and nobody would pass a blind test in fact it’s probably good that the grills can’t be removed. Listeners would spend more time trying to convince themselves they can tell the difference.

I think that much of our opinions are based on the idea that we know what gear we are listening to as we see it.  Put a sheet in front of everything and there would be a lot less worrying about this stuff. If there were anything that might be possible to change, it would probably be the crossovers. I just had some new Crites crossovers put in my Forte 1’s and they sound absolutely incredible and as good or better than anything currently made.

I would take those off your hands if I had the space. I just can’t fit them because they’re too wide. My friend Brett says that model was the best Cornwall made to date in his opinion. Personally I’m sure all the Cornwall’s sound great regardless of their era but yours sound great as well. Open the back up and look at how nice and solid the magnets are on those older speakers. Really nice IMO.  Built solid with nice cabinets. 

Wow that looks in beautiful shape!. I think you'd be crazy to sell those for something newer. Like I said, those are already amazing speakers! Complete waste of money to sell those and spend thousands more on newer models that most likely sound little to no better.