BS Button List of worthy Myths

ClaudeJ1

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

Some amps do have a warm-up period, such as SS Class-A and Class AB. They need time to warm up and reach thermal equilibrium. That is a fact. My Krell KSA-50 clones need to warm-up to sound the best. 

Warm up to reach thermal equilibrium is real. Break in of woofers is mostly Myth. 2 different things.

• Like 1

So for all of you that say woofers don’t break in. When someone says the bass of a particular speaker is thin and weak, but after playing the speakers for many hours the bass is full and satisfying, did they just get used to inadequate bass? Are they fooling themselves? Lying to us? 

8 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Gotta disagree with you there my friend.

Disagree all you want. When it comes to suspension stiffness, putting woofer drivers and subwoofers on a 20 Hz. oscillator with 10 watts of continuous free air propagation for 24 hours yields only about a 1-2% change in free air resonance. Hardly EARTHSHAKING enough to warrant all the fuss over it! (pun intended on the earthshaking part).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Curious_George said:

Yes, I was confirming what Henry had said. I know the thread has taken many tangents, sorry. 

No problem. As long as we don't confuse Apples and Elephants, it's all good!

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

So for all of you that say woofers don’t break in. When someone says the bass of a particular speaker is thin and weak, but after playing the speakers for many hours the bass is full and satisfying, did they just get used to inadequate bass? Are they fooling themselves? Lying to us? 

Crickets……

I tried a little experiment with WinISD. First I modeled a K33E in a vented box. It is shown in green on the attached graphic. Then I reduced its compliance by half (equivalent to doubling the suspension stiffness), let WinISD recompute the T/S parameters, and modeled that in the same sized box tuned to the same frequency. It is shown in red on the attached graphic.

A doubling of stiffness caused about 1 dB difference in the frequency response.

K33 stiff suspension.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geezin' said:

hey Henry...flat tappet cams require break in. Racing or not. :D

Only takes a short time. One must run the engine at around 3,000 rpm on startup for the short time needed for break in. We are getting into technical conversations when the subject of breaking in a car commonly thought by most refers to the first 3K, thereabouts, required for breaking in a new car off the showroom floor. I've seen many a camshaft destroyed because of not breaking it in correctly. So technically a racing motor does require a few minutes, when we are talking flat tappet cams, but we are talking 10 minutes vs 3K miles of breaking in. 

Ever seen a top fuel drag racing motor torn down and rebuilt between runs down the track. Very short, if this is what you are calling breaking in. In general terms a racing motor does not require a breaking in unless you want to talk about minutes. 

Engine blocks flex far more then most people realize. We use to take a telescopic gauge that is used to measure a bore, along with calipers, and screw it tight in a cylinder and then take our hands and push against the walls of the adjacent cylinders and watch the telescopic gauge fall out of the cylinder.  Drag racing motors use a glue, much like concrete, to fill in the water jackets of the engine block to prevent as much flex as possible. They do not need water for a 1/4 mile run. If you notice between runs they cool the engine with fans. 

2 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Ever seen a top fuel drag racing motor torn down and rebuilt between runs down the track. Very short, if this is what you are calling breaking in.

A top fuel drag motor only makes about 1000 revolutions between teardowns. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Edgar said:

A top fuel drag motor only makes about 1000 revolutions between teardowns. 

Years ago it was common to see drag motors tore down between races. They only wanted to have the motor last for a 1/4 mile. Now with improvements in metallurgy they try and make the motor last for 3 or four runs. They are always trying to cut weight without the part failing. One use to see many a Nascar car motor blow up on the race track. Not so much anymore. But they do still cut as much weight out of the engine on every part while still having the engine survive long enough to finish the race and not much longer. Less weight inside and motor balanced correctly enables motors to achieve higher rpms. 

I didn’t know that speakers were made with flat tappet cams anymore  , thought they went roller long ago .🤓Another myth, lots of so called professional reviewers would have you believe that a speaker with a flatter response would automatically be the better speaker. BS.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

called professional reviewers would have you believe that a speaker with a flatter response would automatically be the better speaker. BS.

Not in real room's they are never flat.

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not in real room's they are never flat.

A friend of mine had a subscription to Consumer  Reports years back , they pretty much picked speakers by frequency response graphs. It’s amazing how the room interacts , even a few feet can make a huge difference at certain frequency’s.Its interesting to walk around a room with a meter while playing test tones.

• Klipsch Employees
8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Disagree all you want. When it comes to suspension stiffness, putting woofer drivers and subwoofers on a 20 Hz. oscillator with 10 watts of continuous free air propagation for 24 hours yields only about a 1-2% change in free air resonance. Hardly EARTHSHAKING enough to warrant all the fuss over it! (pun intended on the earthshaking part).

Hmmmm…..so throw away years of personal observation because it’s not earth shaking to Claude. Hmmmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1