BS Button List of worthy Myths

ClaudeJ1

• Klipsch Employees
48 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I get the impression that modern compression drivers are designed (at least in part) for much greater power handling and excursion than vintage compression drivers (such as my Altec 288). Do you find that to be the case? If so, what compromises were made in the process?

I wouldn’t say compromises…..rather advancements. I would never do this kind of “acid” test with a555 but I would figure out what the limits were and push it. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, ODS123 said:

Ok... but you're being vague - saying 20 min to 200 hours is quite a spread. 

1 hour ago, Chief bonehead said:

I don’t have 200 hours to waste. We apply voltage to get the drivers to 80%of their excursion level. Woofers for 30 minutes at 20 Hz free air.  And compressions drivers at 100 Hz for 30 minutes, no horn load.

I could see it taking a lot longer for most people to achieve the same level of driver break in at home, possibly 100's of hours. 

10 hours ago, richieb said:

ZU Audio out of Utah touts a 600 hour break in on complete speakers and/or their nanotechnology, and “sanctified” 10 inch full range driver. That’s a bunch o’ hours - 

Using the "breaking-in a pair of shoes" analogy, imagine walking for 600 hours. At 2 mph that would be 1200 miles, by which time most shoes would not only be broken-in, but worn-out.

46 minutes ago, richieb said:

ZU Audio out of Utah touts a 600 hour break in on complete speakers and/or their nanotechnology, and “sanctified” 10 inch full range driver. That’s a bunch o’ hours - 

Right.. ..And this doesn't trip your internal BS alarm??

600 hours is 75 days @ 8 hours/day.  ..So what do they tell retailers?  "Don't let customers hear them for 15 weeks  Break them in in a storage closet first before putting them on the showroom floor!"  C'mon people.  This is redic.

Again...  No speaker company would ship a speaker that sounds less than it's best simply b/c they couldn't find a way to exercise the drivers prior to assembly.

I'll say it one more time, speaker companies benefit from perpetuating the break-in myth b/c it reduces the number of speakers being brought back to a retailer.

43 minutes ago, Edgar said:

Using the "breaking-in a pair of shoes" analogy, imaging walking for 600 hours. At 2 mph that would be 1200 miles, by which time most shoes would not only be broken-in, but worn-out.

I just rolled past 1,000 km on my half year old mountain bike. I like it more now than I did when it was new.        20220512_130303.jpg.782fce7cae1dccdd366eaa6187ef617a.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

I just rolled past 1,000 km on my half year old mountain bike. I like it more now than I did when it was new.        20220512_130303.jpg.782fce7cae1dccdd366eaa6187ef617a.jpg

3 hours ago, Chief bonehead said:

From log to linear…..+/-3db is 100 percent. 

Maybe so but it's not always audible. Depends on whether the listener is casual and couldn't care less, or Klipsch geeks like us.

• Klipsch Employees
1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Maybe so but it's not always audible. Depends on whether the listener is casual and couldn't care less, or Klipsch geeks like us.

.5 db over at least an octave is very audible. Again take it for what it’s worth but I’m not going to ignore or dismiss my experience. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chief bonehead said:

.5 db over at least an octave is very audible. Again take it for what it’s worth but I’m not going to ignore or dismiss my experience. 

In the  for what it is worth category. Working with a fixed resistor L-Pad recently and attenuation from 9 to 9.5db clearly changed the balance of the instruments to each other and the center stage presence moved from slightly above and in front of me to right straight in front of me.  It sounded more like the chamber groups I have heard in person. Going to 10db killed it and wonderful became just ho hum music.

That was a really fine post on Violins @travis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

I just rolled past 1,000 km on my half year old mountain bike. I like it more now than I did when it was new.        

But does it sound better? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Edgar said:

I think we've established that driver break-in does occur, and that it's probably audible. We still haven't resolved whether it takes 20 minutes or 200 hours.

Well I can tell you from experience, 20 minutes it ain't......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

Driver break in. I recently bought a second pair of SMAHL tweeters for my La Scalas. The first seconds sounded horible. Then they smoothed out. From crackle to crystal. ;)

You bet they break in. Sound gritty until then.