BS Button List of worthy Myths

ClaudeJ1

Here's another story from motorbike racing, but it relates.  I read that one of the more professional teams, who had lots of spares, including a number of the expensive electronic ignition modules (I only had the one that the bike came with), "would put the ignition modules in an oven and 'temp-cycle' them in order to weed out early failures."  Most electronic or even electric devices, like speakers (and maybe crossovers?), tend to fail early if they're going to fail.  

Some parts fail later, or even much later, but that's the minority of cases.  This could be why most TVs today, regardless of price or brand, come with just a 1 year warranty.  In most cases, that's long enough.

6 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

"Acid test" was part of a book title, isn't it more of a "litmus test"? (Pink/Blue, pass/fail)

"Acid test" comes from testing samples of ore to determine whether they are gold. Gold does not dissolve in nitric acid, but it does dissolve in aqua regia.

8 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

Well this one is still alive. 

That should get a special class of BS Button.

P.S. What's the cost of that thing?

I've had this one for years. I used to have it at work and I would take it into meetings occasionally. It was a lot of light-hearted fun. 

When you push the big red section, it lights up flashing and there is a sound bite. There are a total of 4 sound bites.

BS Button.jpg

• Haha 1

How do I tell if my CD improver is fighting my resonator extraordinaire somehow so that the resonator isn't broken-in right? 

My own 2c about drivers (only):  Don't know when it happens, but I can attest it happens for compression drivers and it's not subtle.  Woofers, I can never notice.  Measure tiny changes in woofers with use, sure, notice, nah.  Too many other variables as always in any science with humans.  Upper-tier products targeted to (far) "eastern" markets from the 3-letter West Coast company has +0.5/0/-0.5dB switches in the "presence" region, which about anybody here knows is more fiddly/discernible than other bandwidths in which humans try to detect half a dB. 

9 hours ago, Edgar said:

"Acid test" comes from testing samples of ore to determine whether they are gold. Gold does not dissolve in nitric acid, but it does dissolve in aqua regia.

Yes, that's right, of course.  However, Travis was making a reference to The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, written by Tom Wolfe.  But you probably knew that already.

19 minutes ago, Islander said:

Travis was making a reference to The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, written by Tom Wolfe.  But you probably knew that already.

Can't say that I did. Well, you learn something new every day.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2022 at 12:34 AM, Chief bonehead said:

And one of those is to ignore Claude which option I have not chosen……YET!

Wow. Makes me feel like quoting Sally Field because I guess it means you "really really like me."

Back to your statement about "3 db is 100 percent." Are you saying you once measured a woofer break-in that yielded that much change? If so, for the entire band? Or just part of the curve? Did the VC cool down before you measured said 3 db, or after?? Did this happen once, or over many driver measurements?

10 hours ago, geezin' said:

Cannot understand questioning the guy who designs the speakers we own or want to own. 

It was not a question by me. I can do that with a PM or a phone call. I was just responding to a comment that I deemed incomplete as someone still learning every day and trying to do so. Don't get me wrong.