BS Button List of worthy Myths

ClaudeJ1

19 hours ago, Travis In Austin said:

That was all Ampex. And they knew it needed to be on for 30 minutes from the Ampex Instrumentation recorders developed for the US Navy (White Sands MR). The recorders, modulators and demodulators were all turned on at least 30 minutes before a test. The same for all NASA tests with Ampex instrumentation recorders and associated equipment. 

Thanks.  That Figures.  I know Ampex was the Grand Honcho developing sound for the Todd-AO film process c. 1954.  First, they hired JBL ("Jim Lansing," in those days) to design and make the speakers, then took over the speaker building under license from JBL, and finally used JBL in some theaters and Altec in others.  At first, they used double system sound with a separate 35mm magnetic film to carry the 6 soundtracks synchronized with the 70 mm image film, then later 6 tracks, 1.25 mm each -- totaling 7.5 mm, not 5 mm, as is usually reported -- the image size was reduced very slightly to allow this.  The 6 power amps (Ampex) in the projection booth I visited were 125 watts (RMS?).  They were plenty loud, and well warmed up.

15 minutes ago, Dave A said:

However @Travis In Austin #3 Baltic Birch is the correct superior material for water resistance,  tone and durability. Exceptional speaker cabinets are made from this.

I don't have sufficient breadth of experience to comment, but I found this to be interesting.

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

tone and durability. Exceptional speaker cabinets are made from this.

Tone?  Please explain why. I can see durability and water resistance (for outdoor theaters/ amusement parks, etc..) but not tone.  Curious why this would be.

Vandersteen, Paradigm, PSB, and virtually  EVERY other high-end speaker mfg prefers MDF.  

Would a CW 4 made entirely of baltic plywood sound better than one made w/ MDF?

I think another myth is about to be called out.

8 hours ago, Edgar said:

Here is another interesting bit of information: PLYWOOD vs MDF For Speaker Building - Tests Show Surprising Results

His final summation after noting very small measurable differences b/w BB, Pine Play, MDF, etc..

"You can hear the difference?  ..I would dispute that"

So, again, maybe this is a new Myth for PWK BS button...

That BB measures and sounds better than MDF.

One needs 100's of watts with our speakers. Here is a new thread I just started by Nelson Pass on power needs for speakers less efficient than ours. Something new to start discussing (argue about) to pass the time of day. Let's just keep it a clean discussion without any tension. We get enough of that in our everyday life. This site is supposed to be fun.  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/208649-power-needs-of-high-efficiency-speakers-from-a-master-of-audio/#comment-2733129

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ODS123 said:

His final summation after noting very small measurable differences b/w BB, Pine Play, MDF, etc..

Be careful; that was an opinion, not a statement of fact. Assertion without proof that something is not audible is an equivalent logical fallacy to assertion without proof that something else is audible. In fact, proving that something is audible is a lot easier than proving that it is not.

9 hours ago, ODS123 said:

So, again, maybe this is a new Myth for PWK BS button...

That BB measures and sounds better than MDF.

Yet you say all this bullshit despite the curves that clearly show a MEASUREABLE difference in the video? So even if NONE of them had any Audible issues, wouldn't you choose the best material based on the curves? Oak plywood would be my choice in that case.

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

One needs 100's of watts with our speakers. Here is a new thread I just started by Nelson Pass on power needs for speakers less efficient than ours. Something new to start discussing (argue about) to pass the time of day. Let's just keep it a clean discussion without any tension. We get enough of that in our everyday life. This site is supposed to be fun.  

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/208649-power-needs-of-high-efficiency-speakers-from-a-master-of-audio/#comment-2733129

Totally agree. Thanks for taking my suggestion. Now on to your thread I go..........

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

Be careful; that was an opinion, not a statement of fact. Assertion without proof that something is not audible is an equivalent logical fallacy to assertion without proof that something else is audible. In fact, proving that something is audible is a lot easier than proving that it is not.

Well... Yes, of course.  But if there's one thing we've learned from this thread is that people aren't really interested in proof, right??  Anecdotal evidence is accorded more credibility than actual A/B testing.

Why else can't I convince even one person to do something as simple as wiring one channel of their system w/ expensive cables, and the other channel w/ the free cables that came with their components and compare using a mono recording and their balance control (speakers pushed together of course)

In response, I get:  Why bother!!  If I hear a difference, that's good enough for me. 

1 hour ago, ODS123 said:

In response, I get:  Why bother!!  If I hear a difference, that's good enough for me. 

And it is! This is a hobby, not rocket science. A good portion of the enjoyment of the hobby is pride of ownership. And that is based largely upon subjective opinion. And often that means impressing others as much as impressing one's self. And often that means deluding one's self as much as deluding others.

Whenever a friend asks me what I think of their audio system, I always answer with, "Do you like it? Yes? Then it's great."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, ODS123 said:

Tone?  Please explain why. I can see durability and water resistance (for outdoor theaters/ amusement parks, etc..) but not tone.  Curious why this would be.

Vandersteen, Paradigm, PSB, and virtually  EVERY other high-end speaker mfg prefers MDF.  

Would a CW 4 made entirely of baltic plywood sound better than one made w/ MDF?

I think another myth is about to be called out.

Same tired line every time this comes up. However I have practical experience through actual builds and experimentation and handling both MDF and Baltic cabinets. As far as I can tell your experience is limited to only pre-built things which you can buy and then since you bought them they then become the world standard by which all other things are found lacking.

On 5/28/2022 at 5:13 AM, henry4841 said:

And this break in argument goes on and on. Who really cares who's right. If you listen to your speakers long enough they will break in if that is what they need to do. I have my opinion on break in but do not want to join this party. I think this horse has been beaten enough with no clear verdict.  Let's find something else to argue about. 

Puppies...cute or ugly?   😄

• Like 1