Garage system questions

homatose

Greetings All!  Relative Klipsch newbie as of this year.

I have a pair of KP-201ii's, a pair of kp-115-sw's (equipped with Kappa 15c) and have the opportunity to obtain a pair of KPT-484s.  Granted I don't have much DSP other than crossovers applied at the amps, is creating a stereo stack with 484's a bad idea; are they going to not lend themselves much beyond the 115s?  How are 484s for music, will I just end up with a bloody mess ?  😅

Note, I'd like to get a driverack one of these days for adjusting eq and crossovers.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

You have my favorite pro heresy in the kp-201ii's, hold on to them as the rarely come up for sale and for good reason. ANYTHING will be an improvement over the fart boxes AKA KP-115's.  The driver in the KPT-484 is an 18" K-49. The K-49 is a 4 ohm, 400 watt woofer and was used by Klipsch in the KPT-484, the KP-480, and the KP-4000. I have the KP-480's that I use with my split lascala's and they sound great to me. I would give those 484's a shot. Again another speaker that rarely comes up. Put some high current through those 484's something like a Crown K2. As far as crossovers go you can always get a minidsp for 100 bucks until you get something better down the road.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rockhound said:

ANYTHING will be an improvement over the fart boxes AKA KP-115's. 

I think I read about the 115's reputation somewhere.  What's the deal with them, I haven't had much time with them as only have had for a week.  Should I punt them to craigslist?

Edited by homatose

Fast forward to yesterday/today.  I didn't realize actually how large these are in reality (lol, oops).  I hooked them up, no sound from one.  The working driver seems to be doing well initially.

What does one do to check if a driver is blown?  I tried using an multimeter and wasn't picking up any resistance.

• Like 1

Checked at the speaker terminals themselves - 0 ohms.  Cone has a sort of springy noise when moved back and forth.  Dang.  I'm messaging the seller but don't imagine a quick fix.  Seller was in the theatre business but I dealt with the significant other; sort of hoped they looked into this before I made the purchase.

I don't suppose K-49's grow on trees these days, do they?

• Like 1

Would this k-49k recone kit fit the bill?  Comes with 

• Cone: 18" accordion roll cloth edge, smooth cone
  • Voice Coil: 3", 2 layer copper wire, 4 ohms, Re: 3.8 ohms
  • Spider: 5.625" diameter cup x 1/2" high
  • Dust Cap: 5.25" paper
  • Gasket: 18" paper (4 section)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, homatose said:

Would this k-49k recone kit fit the bill?  Comes with 

• Cone: 18" accordion roll cloth edge, smooth cone
  • Voice Coil: 3", 2 layer copper wire, 4 ohms, Re: 3.8 ohms
  • Spider: 5.625" diameter cup x 1/2" high
  • Dust Cap: 5.25" paper
  • Gasket: 18" paper (4 section)

Would give them a call just to make certain it fits your specific requirements.

Have you reconed before.

What did you find out about the seller?

Seeing now that my prior response didn't post.  Multimeter tested no change from probes on to off, so there's nothing there must be totally burnt out.  I contacted SS to weigh the cost of a re-cone service versus the parts $85.  The sellers suggested a refund but being honest if the unit can be salvaged I'd only request half of the cost of parts or repair as I'm still getting something out of it.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed all the parts in the reconing process, this is what I encountered when I removed the dust cap.  Everything in the kit I ordered appears to be a good match, except the spider is too small and for a different version of K-49; in this case the original K-49 which this is not.

image.png

• Sad 1