1950s Klipschorn Restoration.

MikeLaz

30 minutes ago, Budman said:

let me know what you find out about the correct crossover for this time period. i might have one you can have

That would be amazing. Feeling a bit defeated and I haven't done anything yet. Lol. Jim gave me the correct drivers and he's looking into the correct crossover.  These are the drivers.  Stephens Tru-sonic 108 horn driver and Stephens P-15-LL woofer.

horn.PNG

Early two-way crossovers are mostly a mystery.  The logbooks make little, if any, mention of crossovers used.  In the very early days, people would send in their own drivers to be utilized, including the WE555!  Crossovers were likely custom-tailored in these situations. In Sept. 1951 PWK sent "upgrade parts" to Armstrong as pictured.  

The three-way 500-5000 series began at least as far back as 1953.  The Type 1 started 1/1/64, and was quickly followed by the 1R (initially for -3dB tweeters, but became standard in 1965).  The museum's collection has only one that appears to be a two-way (pictured).  

In the case of #193, I would get vintage components like pictured, and do a simple 6dB/octave centered at 500Hz.  (I know people who can do this!)

e6febf93-8e9b-4ee0-855a-3ca7446776b1_thmb.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-21 110553.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Would I need to find a crossover and then they could tailor it or do you mean they could make the whole enchilada. I would love more info and see if I can get a cost.  So far I have found absolutely 0 drivers.  Are there any build specs for the horn or anything else for that matter that I can access online?

Admittedly this could be quite the project if maximum authenticity is desired.  I believe I could supply a circuit design (2 or 3 component values).  It would then require you to find vintage components and actually build the network. 

As for the horn, making one of these would truly be a retirement project.    PWK's greatest manufacturing challenge was the process and equipment to make these horns.  Patience should result in finding one online.  If the driver adaptor does not fit the Stephens 108, I probably have one at home!

• Like 1

Also, building a suitable crossover with new components (while searching for the vintage stuff) should be relatively inexpensive and easy.

Another thought, given JRH has documented PWK's upgrade to University SAHF mid and t-4401 tweeter along with values for the crossover, why not build the three way for now?  It should work with your existing horn, sound great with the new crossover and be faithful to known documented 3 way "provenance" as owned by Major Armstrong.

Upgrading was common and encouraged at the time.

I may have a SAHF and 4401 you can have for the cost of shipping. 

You can throw in a K-33 woofer (from Crites or otherwise) to get excellent bass (I have compared both and while there is a difference, it is not night and day) while searching (and saving) for a proper Stephens Trusonic woofer.

You would have a super mono speaker to enjoy in short order.

Just my 2 cents.

To be clear, there was not a "Stephens squawker horn".  What I see pictured is not close to stock, other than the possible re-use of the top and bottom horn flares.  The K-5 did go thru some modifications, significantly the early elimination of the "boats".  There were also various throat adaptors available to accommodate different drivers, including the Stephens.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...