Power strips??

3 hours ago, jjptkd said:

that certainly could be true -- i've only used them in non-critical situations.  i can say that build quality is great.

i typically use the furman pl-8c (particularly for rack mounting situations) because they're basically bulletproof and audioquest niagara 1200 for more critical listening situations.

the great thing about the zero surge is the non-sacrificial filter technology, so if you don't need rack mount it seems like a good choice.  both the pl-8c and the zero surge 8r15w are about $300 (this item in on sale on the zero surge site).

Lol, will stay with my Belkin. It has proven itself. Almost 2 years now got a tv, stb, knocked air conditioner out.

Meanwhile, all good with connected audio units.

BTW, sure most know but, a distinction between surge and conditioner.

Sorry, lightning the culprit.

Well, I did "both" - the Zero Surge for audio system use, and the Tripp-Lite for the computer/office end. 

I'm still looking for a unit like this - I want one "four way" with a heavy gauge cord.  Thought finding one with just a four outlet box like this would be easy to find but I guess not. Am I just looking in the wrong place - figured this would be automatic at home improvement stored but I guess I'm wrong......

On 5/16/2022 at 1:45 PM, babadono said:

I didn't like much what i could find at the time so I built this:

P1010525.jpg

7 minutes ago, Audible Nectar said:

I'm still looking for a unit like this - I want one "four way" with a heavy gauge cord.  

You can build your own fairly cheap with a trip to the hardware store those pieces by themselves are just a few bucks each if that.

30 minutes ago, Audible Nectar said:

I'm still looking for a unit like this - I want one "four way" with a heavy gauge cord.  Thought finding one with just a four outlet box like this would be easy to find but I guess not. Am I just looking in the wrong place - figured this would be automatic at home improvement stored but I guess I'm wrong......

https://www.grainger.com/product/60AG40

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/967444-woods-yellow-jacket-4-outlet-metal-power-block-adapter.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I ended up purchasing two Tripp-Lite Isobar units for the comp÷digital/low draw end of things and a pair of Zero-Surge for the audio component end of my systems. These boxes are just the type of build I was looking for and appreciate, even the value-priced Tripp Lites being well worth the $$ for the build, and the Zero-Surge being lifetime-industrial grade and thus very solid pieces. It's been 15+ years since updating this sort of stuff from the old system build so I thought it good to do an overhaul, and even finding these at a value as the base Zero-Surge sale prices ended up being the totality of the bill and sent on a 10 day build to order basis.

Appreciate the help, the build should resume this week....getting close now 🙂

Another recommendation for Tripplite. We use them where I work, in a rack mountable configuration. Widely spaced outlets permit wall wart transformers, and some models have outlets on the front AND back, and a lighted power switch. Some models omit the power switch, which the OP wants. The AC cord is exta long, too.

Insane choice of options HERE.

In my past career as a manufacturers rep, our 2 warehouses stocked a lot of the Tripplite line and it sold, and worked, very well.  I still use an HT7300PC, although I don't know if it's still made anymore.  Been a great unit and is still going strong.  I also have one of these Tripplite 1200W line conditioners but it hasn't been in use in awhile.  I was using this at our last house as the voltage fluctuated big time.  I may hook this one back up just for my amp only.

• 2 months later...

I like the GE UltraPRO line of surge protectors...They seem to be pretty robust and they come with blue LED lights that makes it a shame to hide them!  I have both of mine on top of the stands instead of hiding them in dust kitten hell!  LOL!

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Protector-Extra-Long-Warranty-11824/dp/B00OQIKERG/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B00OQIKERG&th=1

I have a smaller one on my vintage rig too: https://www.amazon.com/GE-Protector-Extra-Long-Warranty-37870/dp/B079RV5TYY/ref=sr_1_23?crid=VJ2FI2BG3QB3&keywords=ge+ultrapro+surge+protector&qid=1660583859&sprefix=GE+ULTRAPRO%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-23spacer.png

• Like 1

Most "surge suppressors" will not limit current to your amplifiers. They contain MOV's in parallel to the hot and neutral which dissipate energy by clamping high voltage transients. Most are rated for 15 amps but you can find 20 amp types also. The best way to tell what they do is look at the stickers from UL that say "surge suppression" etc.. The manufacturer packaging can be confusing and misleading.

The types that will cause current limiting are "conditioners" that have common mode chokes in series with the hot and neutral legs. They have an impedance and will limit current to a degree that depends on how they sized the chokes. If sized appropriately of course it won't limit current but the cheap ones I have seen are small chokes with not much current handling capacity.

I take receptacles and install in a nice chassis and use solid copper buss bar to make connections. I typically use 4 double receptacles, half of them will go through common mode chokes, X and Y capacitors and some large MOV's for suppression. These filtered inputs are for sensitive sources while the other half are directly connected to mains for power amps.

13 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

What is under the hood?  What did you build for filtering / protection? 

So far there is no filtering and minimal protection. The power in is the cord on the left. Then it just sequences the power to the different colored outlets. Currently the black comes on immediately upon "turn on" command. Then 5 seconds later the white and another 5 later the grays. This is all programmable and can be altered. This is to sequence the power to my rack of remotely located power amps and active crossover. If the Xilica xover and power amps are turned off/on together there was loud enough to bother me thumps. I don't know if it would have eventually hurt the amps and/or speakers. Here is a shot with the switch that is now mounted  on my rack in the listening room.

P1010522.jpg

Filtering and protection could be added. There is space in the chassis for such:

P1010523.jpg

36 minutes ago, babadono said:

So far there is no filtering and minimal protection. The power in is the cord on the left. Then it just sequences the power to the different colored outlets. Currently the black comes on immediately upon "turn on" command. Then 5 seconds later the white and another 5 later the grays. This is all programmable and can be altered. This is to sequence the power to my rack of remotely located power amps and active crossover. If the Xilica xover and power amps are turned off/on together there was loud enough to bother me thumps. I don't know if it would have eventually hurt the amps and/or speakers. Here is a shot with the switch that is now mounted  on my rack in the listening room.

P1010522.jpg

Filtering and protection could be added. There is space in the chassis for such:

P1010523.jpg

Nice work.