Class D and LaScala's

rockhound

I asked this question on another forum and got some responses regarding the NODE but none regarding the POWERNODE. Curious if the folks that have LaScala's are running Class D amps and if so what are their thoughts.. below is the original post. Additionally I have a few nice amps but they don't meet the requirements in the new house as far as size goes and the ability to just leave them on all the time. I need something small that runs cool and sounds well like a LaScala should. 

I searched the interweb and didn't see this topic anywhere so I thought I would ask here. I have a pair of 78 LaScala's (new to me) that I will be using as my mains. I'm considering the new Powernode because of the features that it has and the simplicity of having one item in the signal chain. Has anyone heard the Powernode with heritage Klipsch speakers?

I could go the Node route or my little Arylic S50 and look for a nice monoblock pair of Class D amps. If I went this route I could use my Denafrips DAC instead of the onboard TI DAC in the Node.

The goal is simplicity and something that sounds great with the LaScala's and "just works".

Thought's?

Did you check out the thread on the Topping PA5?  Lots of like on the forum at a very modest price IMO. 

I haven't heard the Topping, but have gotten excellent results with my 86 LS from a used Emerald Physics 100.2 SE I picked up for couple hundred on CL.

• Like 1

I have 1987 La Scala's with all new Crites drivers and cross overs.  My room is 17X20 with high ceiling ( rounded 14ft at top )

My music is digitized CD's played thru a MiniDSP SHD into a Schit Freya S ( non tube ) preamp out to  a Crown XLI1500  ( Class A/B ).

MiniDSP SHD volume set at 95%, Schit Freya S controls volume for system, Crown volume set to about 25%

Given this setup speaker placement was critical ending about 6 feet apart and about 2 feet away from back wall.

Center stage is well defined but not as deep as I would like, room treatment could help here. Sound is clear, instrument location easy to determine. sound  is cooler versus tube warm.

I can easily enjoy 1/2 a day enjoying the music, just ask my wife

you can get a new Crown XLS 1502 for just under $400  or used for much cheaper. Also there are many ChiFi options which can allow you to test your system

Hope this helps and Enjoy the Music

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

I asked this question on another forum...

Curious if the folks that have LaScala's are running Class D amps and if so what are their thoughts...

I need something small that runs cool and sounds well like a LaScala should. 

I've run Class D with La Scala II's MANY TIMES and configurations in the past... knowing your requirements of small, Cool, quite and 24/7 duty, you will have no other alternative than Class D imho.

Satisfaction of the combination might be affected by the type of Music you listen to and how loudly you listen.

I've run Pioneer Elite Ice based and the subsequent Pioneer Class D3 I was reasonably happy with the matting with both the La Scala II and the La Scala II 70th (slight change to the network) in both 2 channel and 5.1 music/HT. I found the amps VERY clear and HIGHLY resolved. transients were outrageously powerful and the dynamic range was extended and VERY clear.

I've also run those two speakers with the Bel Canto REF500m monoblocks and had a similar experience as I did with the Pioneers... the signature of the sound of both manufactures were more similar than they were different despite the big price differences and the additional circuit design and implementation of the Bel Canto. They both had that Class D clinical, clean and IMMEDIATE sound, but the Bel Canto had better separation and refinement.

I wouldn't leave the pioneers on 24/7, the Bel Cantos were left on 24/7 as per the manufacturer request, and they did sound a bit better (more liquid and dimensional) with thermal stability of being left on over having to 'warm up' every time I wanted to listen to music.

Class D is very nice and rewarding but are they the be all end all when mated to the extremely efficient La Scala... probably not, at least for me.

• Like 1

Appreciate the feedback fella's. Schu I listen to Rock/Classic Rock. These will not be a 2 channel only system as they will be in the living room performing movie/TV watching as well. Which Pioneers do you speak of? The Canto's are probably out of my budget. I'm leaning hard to the POWERNODE or go separates with the VTV Purifi based amps.

I have several Pro amps but again none of them will fit into my entertainment center.

I had both the SC35 and now have a SC85... both are probably to big if you are talking in terms of 'fitment'.

Wire4Sound have some smaller class D offerings from the past... all of which have a similar sound signature.

I'm not familiar with the POWERNODE amps, but I can tell you my experience with Class D power amps and La Scalas.  In my setup, I was running a single Yamaha MX-D1 Class D power amplifier from the Pre Outs on a Yamaha RX-V750 AVR, driving a pair of 1974 La Scalas, which sounded pretty good.  The next year, I converted the speakers to a 2-way bi-amped configuration, and added a second matching Class D Yamaha power amp.  The system sounded really good like that.  Over the years, I replaced the '74 Scalas with a pair of 2007 La Scala IIs, and that's the current setup.  The Class D power amps seem to produce fine sound with the La Scalas, 1st gen or LS2.  Now the AVR is a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060, and after running the stereo with those two Class D power amps since 2008, I still smile every time I listen to it.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 2:50 PM, rockhound said:

I asked this question on another forum and got some responses regarding the NODE but none regarding the POWERNODE. Curious if the folks that have LaScala's are running Class D amps and if so what are their thoughts.. below is the original post. Additionally I have a few nice amps but they don't meet the requirements in the new house as far as size goes and the ability to just leave them on all the time. I need something small that runs cool and sounds well like a LaScala should. 

I searched the interweb and didn't see this topic anywhere so I thought I would ask here. I have a pair of 78 LaScala's (new to me) that I will be using as my mains. I'm considering the new Powernode because of the features that it has and the simplicity of having one item in the signal chain. Has anyone heard the Powernode with heritage Klipsch speakers?

I could go the Node route or my little Arylic S50 and look for a nice monoblock pair of Class D amps. If I went this route I could use my Denafrips DAC instead of the onboard TI DAC in the Node.

The goal is simplicity and something that sounds great with the LaScala's and "just works".

Thought's?

It's a pitty I don't have a meeting in my listening room with a buddy earlier than the end of June. He has a PowerNode of the latest generation, the Class D power amplifier section is the same as in a new generation NAD amp, I forgot the type but both brands belong to the same group. Until now I never have heard a Class D amp.

I have the new Node streamer since July 21 and before that the Node 2i. I also liked the older one, it is a sympathetic and not too cold sound but still with good resolution. The new Node (without additional digits) keeps the nice basic tone, but everything is a whole class better in resolution and in the energy of the sound image. It is yes a new chip as DAC and especially with Tidal MQA it is much better still than with the older Node 2i. A bargain I would say.

When my buddy brings his PowerNode we'll do a nice listening session with my 1977 LaScalas. Then we'll compare:

PowerNode vs. C22CE with MC275 Mk4 
vs. EAR 864 with MC 2102 
vs. Quad 34 with Quad 306 (with renewed electrolytic capacitors, my favorite amp combi at the moment).

Speakers:

Klipsch Lascala 1974 (restored last year with new Atlas diaphragm, remagnetized K77 Alnico, new polyester caps and freshly sealed bass cabinet).

Stirling Broadcast LS3/6
Tannoy Canterbury 15" from 1993
KEF LS50 from my buddy

I will report back if it is of interest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2022 at 11:51 AM, rockhound said:

I have a Marantz AV 7005 that would act as my pre/pro if I decide to buy separate Class D amps and not the all in one powernode solution.

I am running a Marantz AV 8801 and a Marantz MM 7055 amp with XLR interconnect cables. Excellent combination with my K-horns. Have you found an amp that works good with your system?

I have switched to Class D exclusively.  My Super HIPs are powered by a DIY amp based on a Texas Instruments TPA3255 run in balanced mode, and my four Exodus Anarchy TH subs (with which I know you are familiar) are powered by a pair of Class D Behringer iNuke  NU1000DSP amps.  The simplicity, sound and cool operation make this my last setup.

Others will prefer other amps with efficient Klipsch speakers, but not yours truly.  When fed high resolution digital balanced signals from a Pono player these Class D amps sound stunning.  The silence between notes and between tracks is amazing. 

If you try Class D and don’t like it, you can always choose one of the many space heaters, I mean amps out there.  In any case you will enjoy the sweet music flowing from your La Scalas.

• Like 2

If you can add a preamp, Hypex monoblocks also could be the solution.

They are relatively small dimensions, could be turned on all the time.

I haven't heard them with LaScalas, but what ever Schu wrote above I can attest is valid playing NC400 monoblocks in my system.

Yes, they can be clinical in sound presentation, but preamp might tame them a bit if needed.

However, in my system they produce more heat than some class AB amps. They are not hot, but warm (105-120 F) depending on the temperature in the room. Many have reported they stay cool. That might be our grid (220V), but anyway they do not go beyond it.

In the "your results may vary" department, I did not like my Bel Canto through two different sets of LaScala IIs (or several other speakers). I thought it was too cold and analytical and that was after feeding it a signal from a Lampizator DAC.

It was dead silent and while being left on full time, produced little or no heat. For me, it also produce little or no emotion. I use tubes and find the right pre-amp/amp combination can have silence & "inky blackness" between notes (thanks HP!).

The best option is to find what you are looking at in someone else's system and listen to it. Your ears are personal.