Class D and LaScala's

rockhound

^

that was my impression also... I ran my ref500m's with a NBS tube preamp and it helped significantly, but once I went to my first set of VRD tube amps, it was a revelation. I did try the BC mono's in many configurations, but nothing gave me the warm and fuzzys.

The Bel Canto with my Pioneer elite avr for home theater was great, EXTREMELY fast transients, superior clarity and the blackest black background.

44 minutes ago, michaelwjones said:

In the "your results may vary" department, I did not like my Bel Canto through two different sets of LaScala IIs (or several other speakers). I thought it was too cold and analytical and that was after feeding it a signal from a Lampizator DAC.

It was dead silent and while being left on full time, produced little or no heat. For me, it also produce little or no emotion. I use tubes and find the right pre-amp/amp combination can have silence & "inky blackness" between notes (thanks HP!).

The best option is to find what you are looking at in someone else's system and listen to it. Your ears are personal.

So when are you going to bring those tube amps down for audition?

I ended up buying a VTV purifi based amp. I really like it and do not feel that I have given up anything in sound quality. These newer Class D amps are really good not like the old chip amps of the past. I have zero regrets.

• Like 2

On 7/4/2022 at 7:09 PM, rockhound said:

I ended up buying a VTV purifi based amp. I really like it and do not feel that I have given up anything in sound quality. These newer Class D amps are really good not like the old chip amps of the past. I have zero regrets.

Those are deluxe.