Cornwall IV vs Older Klipschorn???

Gypsy

I have a 20x30x11 room with good corners on the 20' wall and Im starting to plan the future 2 channel speakers. I like a wide variety of music but most critical listening would be with female vocals, older jazz horns and some blues. I'll also listen to some rock, country and electronic music less critically. 

Would you prefer Cornwall IV or 70-90s Klipschorn?

The cost is likely to be the same if the Khorns are in decent shape. There is a chance if the KHorns are a bit worn or I get a decent deal then I might have a bit extra cash to update / upgrade. 

In your room, I think I'd opt for Khorns with a couple of caveats. I'd damp the midhorn and upgrade the xovers. The midrange performance of a stock CW IV is better than a stock khorn, to my ears. The bass performance, hands down, goes to the khorn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Khorn said:

Klipschorns. I’d never change mine unless absolutely necessary like having to move into a shared space like a condo. Spent over 40 years now and finally optimized the driving electronics to my liking. 

Have you heard the Cornwall IV in a good space? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

Have you heard the Cornwall IV in a good space? 

No. Not in a great space. But I’ve used my Klipschorns in many differing spaces and they perfectly suit me. I’m an average 85db- 95db listener. 

• Like 1

Klipschorns. Mine sound amazing! I enjoy my Chorus II too, but the Klipschorns are very special. I’ve been streaming Spotify’s lists of audiophile songs through them and they sound amazing! They can produce low frequencies at high volume. They produce the full range with dynamics that are exciting, fun, and very enjoyable. Mr. Klipsch was a genius!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, soundbound said:

Klipschorns. Mine sound amazing! I enjoy my Chorus II too, but the Klipschorns are very special. I’ve been streaming Spotify’s lists of audiophile songs through them and they sound amazing! They can produce low frequencies at high volume. They produce the full range with dynamics that are exciting, fun, and very enjoyable. Mr. Klipsch was a genius!

I understand the unwashed masses using Spotify. But I don’t know why audio guys don’t go straight to Qobuz. The difference is huge.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I understand the unwashed masses using Spotify. But I don’t know why audio guys don’t go straight to Qobuz. The difference is huge.

It was a Christmas gift for a year subscription. I activated it around March. I like it and it sounds good. Maybe I’ll try Qobuz someday too.

Edited by soundbound
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I dont mind Spotify for casual listening. The catalog is huge and I usually find new interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

Caviat, I have never heard the new Cornwall IV.

I am sure the new CW-IV sounds great but you can get an older pair of Klispchorns for half the price of new CWs. The Klispchorn's horn loaded bass is so much better than direct radiating bass, once you hear it, and live with it, its hard to enjoy "lesser" designs IMO. Where the CW-IV might be superior is in the mid horn. The old K-horns mid K401 is ok but not a favorite of mine. But for less that the cost of the new CW-IV you could get both the Klipschorns and a pair of K402s (top half of the new 30K Jubilee). That combo is very hard to beat! I also have a horn sub in the room so all horn goodness 17 HZ and up.

IMG_4323.jpg

• Like 2

It comes down to what's most important to you. 

If you have a nice sized room and you really want to fill it with sound -- you go with the Klipschorn.

If you sit kind of close and want more refinement in your sound, I would go Cornwall IV.

• Like 3

Just now, hanksjim1 said:

Dang, those Khorns look small under the 402s....LOL

I bet the sound is also huge!

I've got a great room for Klispchorns, and yes the soundstage is enormous. Best 2 channel I have heard.

Cat like them too and always joins me to listen.

20 minutes ago, tromprof said:

Caviat, I have never heard the new Cornwall IV.

I am sure the new CW-IV sounds great but you can get an older pair of Klispchorns for half the price of new CWs. The Klispchorn's horn loaded bass is so much better than direct radiating bass, once you hear it, and live with it, its hard to enjoy "lesser" designs IMO. Where the CW-IV might be superior is in the mid horn. The old K-horns mid K401 is ok but not a favorite of mine. But for less that the cost of the new CW-IV you could get both the Klipschorns and a pair of K402s (top half of the new 30K Jubilee). That combo is very hard to beat! I also have a horn sub in the room so all horn goodness 17 HZ and up.

Im not sure its possible to get older Khorns (let alone KHorns AND 402) for half the cost of CW IV from Cory. I have been watching for a good long time and the lowest I have seen in the last year is around $3k for even beat up KHorns.  

Side note... my Hersey and CW are both 1976 because it is the BEST year. So if you ever decide to sell those KHorns please drop me a line! 

• Like 1